Is there a light that can compete with the zl sc600?

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Is there a light that can compete with the sc600 mk3 HI in terms of versatility and portability? It seems to me this light has made a stand as a force to be reckoned with. I want to add a new light to my collection and i am only interested (at this time) in EDC lights. It does not need to be over 1100lm just something that might give it a run for its money.
Not looking for another zl

LarcKen

Newly Enlightened
Is there a light that can compete with the sc600 mk3 HI in terms of versatility and portability? It seems to me this light has made a stand as a force to be reckoned with. I want to add a new light to my collection and i am only interested (at this time) in EDC lights. It does not need to be over 1100lm just something that might give it a run for its money.

When asking these kind of question, you must put a small note that says, "Zebralight fanboy need not apply" :D

jedi_master

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore mh20gt is the closest thing that comes to mind

MH20GT easily replaces my sc600mkii as far as real usage and versatility is concerned.
I don't know what all the fuss with mkiii. It uses the new XHP35 HI and yet it only puts out 1100lm which is what mkii is already doing with the old led XM-L. The MH20GT is not only throws much much further, the UI is more superior, IMO. With Zebra, you can't access to turbo instantly from low or medium mode without turning off the light. Likewise, you can't go to low mode from high without turning off the light. Zebra's single stage switch is out of date, IMO.

Last edited:

Bob_McBob

Newly Enlightened
MH20GT easily replaces my sc600mkii as far as real usage and versatility is concerned.
I don't know what all the fuss with mkiii. It uses the new XHP35 HI and yet it only puts out 1100lm which is what mkii is already doing with the old led XM-L. The MH20GT is not only throws much much further, the UI is more superior, IMO.

The MH20GT is also significantly bulkier for pocketing and only available in cool white, as opposed to the very nice neutral white tint of the SC600w HI. The UI is certainly a polarizing issue, but it allows the SC600w HI to have far more brightness modes than the MH20GT, including several sub-lumen levels as opposed to the fixed 1.5 lumens (measured) of the MH20GT. It's hardly a clear win for either light and depends very much on your preference and needs for the light. Not everyone wants the ultimate pocket thrower, and it's clear plenty of CPF posters like ZL's design and UI.

Likewise, you can't go to low mode from high without turning off the light.

Sure you can, holding the switch cycles low-med-high.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, no, maybe.

Really depends on what you are wanting to achieve and how much you want to spend.

I'm sure the SC600 is a good light, but it comes at a price. A price that you could buy 5 other lights for, batteries and still have enough left over to go and buy a beer with.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, no, maybe.

Really depends on what you are wanting to achieve and how much you want to spend.

I'm sure the SC600 is a good light, but it comes at a price. A price that you could buy 5 other lights for, batteries and still have enough left over to go and buy a beer with.

OP never included a budget limit. He is clearly going after quality, not quantity.

Witterings

Enlightened
I think it depends what you want it for .. personally I can't stand the lack of accessibility between modes with the sc600 and think it's the lights weak point .. the MH20GT is much better from that perspective.

The sc600 I find is nicer to walk with as the hot spot is that bit wider and lights the whole width of a narrow lane better and for the same reason would be better on a bicycle (although this is where you'd want to easily switch between modes and can't) but the MH20GT way out throws it.

I do quite a bit of shooting at night (just an airgun out to 40 mtrs) and it's chalk and cheese the sc 600 doesn't even come close in comparison.

Personally if I had to have a limited number of lights it'd be one of each (especially if ZL sort out the modes as apparently they're going to) and one other even smaller light ... maybe an sc32 or even smaller like an Astolux A01 and think you'd have pretty much all bases covered.

Please don't take my criticism of the switching between modes as I don't like the light ... I think it's a brilliant light .... but it's sooooooooooo frustrating that the modes I'd personally use most aren't easily switched between.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP never included a budget limit. He is clearly going after quality, not quantity.
Maybe, although being expensive does not automatically mean it's quality, just as being cheaper does not automatically mean it's inferior.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what all the fuss with mkiii. It uses the new XHP35 HI and yet it only puts out 1100lm which is what mkii is already doing with the old led XM-L. The MH20GT is not only throws much much further, the UI is more superior, IMO. With Zebra, you can't access to turbo instantly from low or medium mode without turning off the light. Likewise, you can't go to low mode from high without turning off the light. Zebra's single stage switch is out of date, IMO.
When it comes to lumens Zebralight has been pretty accurate, and lately they've been conservative. Nitecore is know to use higher numbers than they actually output.