Tom Bihn - post here

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I have found this to be my new non photo, EDC and carry-on bags.

These are are really the best bags made in the world, and they have many, many accessories to assist you in packing.

Made in Seattle, USA, Tom Bihn has great Customer service, have a look and tell, us what you think.

I just bought a large messenger bag called the "Large Cafe Bag," in Orange, and it is a perfect around town bag or I pack it and use it on location for personal items. I love the orange as it would be visible for miles if some one took it from you! I also have a ton of the smaller accessorie bags and pouches. I even got the Field Note Journal Notebook, a nice medium sized notebook.

Give this his company a look, amazing products, very high quality, and the stitching is like nothing I have seen before - flawless. And this comes from a guy who has more bags, cases and carrying devices from Haliburton to Pelican, than you can imaging. My new favorite.

Wish I had gone to the store when we lived in Seattle...

Best,

RL

Just want to add if you like backpacks, take the time to look, at what they offer, amazing.

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are going to be my next bag (backpack for work), I've been looking at their site for a year or more. Lots of bags, lots of little options / add ons.

For a messenger style bag I've got the Billingham Eventer (thought it was called reporter when I bought it) in Black with tan leather, but for 500 pounds I wouldn't buy it now!! I use that when I go to a conference or if it's strictly a meeting I'm going to. Have also used it for intended purpose (laptop & DSLR) when I visit the grand kids.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are going to be my next bag (backpack for work), I've been looking at their site for a year or more. Lots of bags, lots of little options / add ons.

For a messenger style bag I've got the Billingham Eventer (thought it was called reporter when I bought it) in Black with tan leather, but for 500 pounds I wouldn't buy it now!! I use that when I go to a conference or if it's strictly a meeting I'm going to. Have also used it for intended purpose (laptop & DSLR) when I visit the grand kids.
I have a Billingham camera bag, and use it as an EDC bag sometimes, never put camera gear in it, however they make beautiful bags, too. My main briefcase and suitcase are Haliburton...the best of the best for hard luggage, period.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for the pointer Ned. I think I am going to order a medium Cafe bag for slinging tablet, phone, keys, notepad etc around with me. I have been thinking for years I need a "man purse" and have held off but I really like the look of those and your endorsement is good to me as I know you get the good stuff. ;)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Large Cafe bag a short time ago, mostly to carry my Large Zeiss binoculars. If not for that I would have gone with the medium.

Mine is 152 Orange. You'll love it. I am about to get a new duffel bag as a carry on, and put the cafe bag inside with other things so when I get where I am going I have the smaller Cafe bag to take around.

Let us know what you end up with.

Best,

NR

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
While on the subject of Tom Bihn, another great little bag they make is to put all your battery charging supplies for all of the things we take with us that need charging. And it is called the Snake Charmer. (They all come with interesting names).

The Snake Charmer comes in both Lg. And Sm. I got the large but, am going to order a couple of small ones. These things are great, and you could use them for many things, not just cords and the like, however, they are meant for all things charging.

Nick, if you get the Cafe bag one of these in small may be nice.

Today, I am ordering the Yeoman Duffel Bag in black - medium to replace the Tumi I have had for well over 20 years. I will provide an executive-bullet-point-type of review on it next week.

By by the way, all my Snake Charmers will be in Orange 152. This is a bright orange exactly like the Hinderer XM -18's orange scale for reference.

Hope some of this helps in organizing your gear, we all carry enough things.

Best,

RL

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Last week the Med Cafe bag was "in production" so I couldn't order it. I have to keep checking back and when it is in stock I will grab one. I like the black and green, I think they called it halcyon/wasabi or something like that.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I can see how one would get hooked. That Medium Cafe looks like it needs me to order it. In Black. Looks Professional enough for work. Price is good too.

Wait, I am back. Daylight Briefcase. Pretty much so does it for me.

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
nfetterly,

You seem like a professional traveler, too. Do you use any of their products?

Best,

NR

Not yet, I keep an eye out for nice gear and saw a Tom Bihn bag on a plane and looked them up. I've only been traveling to any extent for ~10 years and have flown ~2 million miles. Miles have slowed as I don't go to China as often as I used to.

I'm looking at the Smart Alec (backpack), large Freudian slip and the Snake Charmer is a must.
Nope not the Smart Alec, the Synapse 25....

I'd really like to see the products though as they have ~3 backpacks that I was interested in.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not yet, I keep an eye out for nice gear and saw a Tom Bihn bag on a plane and looked them up. I've only been traveling to any extent for ~10 years and have flown ~2 million miles. Miles have slowed as I don't go to China as often as I used to.

I'm looking at the Smart Alec (backpack), large Freudian slip and the Snake Charmer is a must.
Nope not the Smart Alec, the Synapse 25....

I'd really like to see the products though as they have ~3 backpacks that I was interested in.
I have several Snake Charmers, they are wonderful.

I have been traveling since 1963 with my parents and every job have ever had had involved a huge amount of travel millions and millions of miles, however I am trying to slow down, it is not as glamorous as people think...not at all, it is a real hassle, Europe is not safe like it once was, I just want to stay home. Except, I always have something in Hawaii, and I love going there.

If you have two million miles you are a pro!

Last edited: