Lumens Rant (Hopefully Justifiable?)

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
The one thing that really drives me nuts is when manufacturers put two output levels too close together, or too far apart, with no real regard for the spacing between output or the runtimes. WHY DO THEY DO THIS! :shakehead

Ok, I am no expert, but to my eyes, perceived light outputs follow that old chestnut, the square law, whereby to get double the perceived light, you must quadruple the lumen output. A couple of lights I have follow this rule quite nicely, indeed when stepping up through the levels the output appears to roughly double each time. Perhaps more importantly, the runtimes are also well spaced.

I was after an AA light recently for EDC and mentioning no names :sssh:....I have seen lights that jump from 10 lumens (25 hour run time) to 70 lumens (3 hour run time). So we have gone from 25 hours to just 3 hours?? There is no real perceived difference in 70 lumens and 50 lumens - so why not make the level 50 lumens and save some power - and have a nice run time with more power that actually lasts a working day without changing cells?

Another manufacturer brought out a 2 cell 123 light ages ago, marketed for "outdoor use" but I noticed at the time it had something like 10 lumens for 80 hours (fine) then 200 lumens for 3 hours, bit of a jump? - and then 280 lumens for 2 hours (what!) ... so the outdoor guy either has a low level light which is only good around camp and in the tent , or he has a high power blaster (200 lumens was high power back then..) for either 3 or 2 hours.... his choice...where is the middle mode please which will give the best compromise between power and run-time and will last 8-10 hours??

Grrr....:scowl:

Rant over.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
I agree 110%
A useable amount for 8~10 hours is WHAT is needed. The darkness lasts that long (or longer). Why not the light?

Lateck,

ven

Flashaholic
Another agree, help your rant and buy a HDS rotary with noticeable steps.................very clever.

ven

Flashaholic
Hmm...perhaps I should look into that one, cheers!

100%

Here is a little snip
The brightness levels on our flashlights are spaced so that the difference between any adjacent brightness levels appear to be a small but equal change. This visual spacing takes advantage of the logarithmic nature of your eyes to see a huge dynamic range - from very bright midday summer scenes to dim moonlit scenes. Each brightness level is separated by a ratio of 1.5:1 - enough to provide a small but noticeable difference between brightness levels.

Some info over the years that goes into HDS

http://www.hdssystems.com/Content/Pioneer/

HDS Systems pioneered the following LED flashlight features:

• Regulated output of 15 lumens - 1998
  • Synchronous rectification for improved efficiency - 1998
  • Multiple discrete brightnesses - 1998
  • Multilevel rotary dimmer control - 1998
  • Automatic brightness step reduction for dying battery - 1998
  • Extended emergency lighting - 1998
  • Visually even (logarithmic) brightness spacing - 1998
  • Intrinsically safe design and explosion-proof construction - 1998
  • Military type III hard anodize finish - 1998
  • Regulated output of 20 lumens - 1999
  • Tint control for lower brightnesses - 1999
  • Microprocessor-controlled constant current brightness control - 1999
  • Reverse battery protection without diode power penalty - 1999
  • Thermal regulation and management - 1999
  • Microprocessor-controlled constant power brightness control - 2000
  • Microprocessor-controlled multiphase buck/boost topology - 2001
  • Microprocessor-controlled simplified buck/boost topology - 2002
  • Protection for rechargeable batteries - 2002
  • Innovative multi-brightness single-button user interface - 2003
  • Programmable brightness settings - 2003
  • Calibrated brightness - 2003
  • Intelligent pocket light of 30 lumens - 2003
  • Automatic switch lockout and automatic shut-off - 2004
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 60 lumens - 2004
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 85 lumens - 2005
  • Disorienting strobe, emergency strobe and SOS assignable to presets - 2006
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 120 lumens - 2007
  • 1500:1 dynamic range (0.08 to 120 lumens) - 2007
  • 3-stage twisty switch - 2007
  • 100 lumens for 1 hour on a single CR123A battery - 2007
  • Fully automatic detection and protection of Li-ion batteries - 2007
  • Dual red/white output using single emitter - 2007
  • 10,000g impact tolerance - 2008
  • 120 lumens for 1 hour on a single CR123A battery - 2008
  • 2125:1 dynamic range (0.08 to 170 lumens) - 2008
  • Automatic burst mode for extended runtimes on maximum - 2008
  • 140 lumens for 1 hour on a single CR123A battery - 2009
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 200 lumens - 2009
  • 2500:1 dynamic range (0.08 to 200 lumens) - 2009
  • Networked multi-processor controller supporting advanced UIs - 2010
  • Customizable rotary dimmer control system - 2010
  • 2 hours runtime on High before dropping below 50% - 2011
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 250 lumens - 2014
  • 12,500:1 dynamic range (0.02 to 250 lumens) - 2014
  • Advanced tactical interface with rotary brightness control - 2014
  • World's smallest tactical LED flashlight of 325 lumens - 2015
  • 16,250:1 dynamic range (0.02 to 325 lumens) - 2015
  • High color rendering index of 93 typical at 200 lumens - 2015
  • What's next? Watch this space...
The above list provides the year we first implemented and published the feature. To be fair, the seed ideas for some of the features originated from people living all around the world - especially from the caving community. Some ideas were simply borrowed from other industries. For instance, light dimmers have been around for decades so adding a rotary dimming control to an LED flashlight was an obvious thing to do.
A simple idea is likely to occur to a large number of people in a similar situation. A simple idea for a product or feature tends to have very little initial value. Why? Because it can be a long expensive journey from having an idea to getting it into production. The closer to production it is, the more value it has.
Take using LEDs for a flashlight as an example. Anyone who thinks about the design of a flashlight will immediately understand the value of a rugged and efficient light source. Even before practical LEDs became available, it was obvious to lots of people that LEDs should be used to make a flashlight - after they became practical. That was the simple idea. The difficult part was solving all the problems associated with LEDs in order to make practical and affordable flashlights.
The difference between a simple idea and a practical implementation is why the Patent Office requires that patents be: a) novel and b) not obvious to one skilled in the art.
HDS Systems has the honor of being the first company to design, manufacture and sell a high brightness LED flashlight - a flashlight that could equal or exceed the light output and duration of a standard 2 D-cell incandescent flashlight. That original flashlight was fully regulated, had multiple brightness levels, automatically stepped-down in brightness to extend dying batteries while warning the user it was time to change the battery and the flashlight was housed in an aerospace aluminum case protected by military Type 3 hard anodize. The flashlight was powered by a single lithium battery that would drive the high brightness setting for 12 continuous hours at a constant brightness.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stevie, I am with you on this. But for the companies, a selling point is always - it's really bright and has a possibility of runtime of 100 hours.

People are gullible, and buy based on that, so the companies sell light this way.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Another option is Imalent touch displays. Fine adjustments from 1 to 1000 lumens with the new DN11&12.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'm a big mode spacing snob too. Also, due to that inverse square light perception thing, you really get nailed by the laws of diminishing returns as you go brighter - ie, twice as bright consumes 4x as much battery.

I like 10x spacing with ~0.3/3/30/300 steps the best. Infinitely variable (eg, V11R) and highly programmable (eg, HDS) can get you there, but unfortunately they're not particularly efficient, which for me, is half the reason for good mode spacing.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it really an inverse square law? I thought it was logarithmic.

Last edited:

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Is it really an inverse square law? I thought it was logarithmic.

Well....I've heard both :shrug:....

Although the square law works for me very well when comparing lights and also calculating effective range. I found that personally, if I take the claimed manufacturer max throw range and then halve it, this is a good range at which a decent amount of light is hitting the target. (That bit is not very scientific, but the claimed manufacturer throw range is typically right(ish) but does not put enough lux on the target to be of much use to me).

The scientific part from here is that I can then reverse calculate the effective ranges of all other modes, based on the square law. Seems to be fairly accurate. :popcorn: