Computer experts needed: Intermittent network connetivity issues

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having an issue with my computer. During the course of an evening, my internet will drop. It stops working. I do the I run the network fix [through IE], and eventually it come back up. It lasts a short bit then goes back down again. I borrowed a laptop and it doesn't seem to have this issue. I attempted to try a Network adapter, and still had the issue, so it probably isn't my network card. Does anyone have some options I can try? When it goes out the "Fix Connection Problems" just gives the general "not connected to network", "DNS server not connected", something like that. In fact, it is happening now. Here's the message:

"Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)."

Kinda at a loss as to what I should do.

Please help!

Last edited:

msim

Enlightened
Are you connected through wifi or an ethernet cable?

Oh and what version of windows are you using?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ethernet.....and Windows 10. I'm in an apartment building that gives free internet and everytime I contact them about this, they do not detect any problems on their end.

Update: In the past, I WOULD do the "Fix Connection Problem" button,....but tonight, I haven't done so,....and the internet comes back on its own just by waiting a bit. So all the times I thought I was "fixing an issue", it may have just been a matter of time. Still, constant dropping of the internet.

Network Adapter is going back to Best Buy on Saturday. Oh well.

Last edited:

NorthernDragon

Newly Enlightened
Ethernet.....and Windows 10. I'm in an apartment building that gives free internet and everytime I contact them about this, they do not detect any problems on their end.

Update: In the past, I WOULD do the "Fix Connection Problem" button,....but tonight, I haven't done so,....and the internet comes back on its own just by waiting a bit. So all the times I thought I was "fixing an issue", it may have just been a matter of time. Still, constant dropping of the internet.

Network Adapter is going back to Best Buy on Saturday. Oh well.

Look here, the answer was posted on Aug. 9, 2014, from etaf:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...evice-or-resource-primary-dns-server.1131226/

You're basically going to change DNS servers, then flush your DNS cache. Let me know if it works...and for the love of God, stop using IE!

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
"....and for the love of God, stop using IE!"

LOL Really, I was only using it because when my internet craps out, it has the "fix connection" thing,.....which I kinda determined may not have been an issue.

Anyway, I'm at my sisters using her computer, so I'll give this a try tomorrow morning. Thanks for the suggestion!