New member from uk in need of some help

Phoenix1976

Newly Enlightened
Hello all I'm after a bit of help please after researching for a week now on line watching videos etc I'm at a lose to decide on the right tourch initially I thought easy I need a flood like the tn36ut or somthing from the niwalker range like the mm25mb or open to other suggestions but the started finding things like the ace beam k60 which in some videos seems to give good spill obviously not as much as a flooded but also gives a good range and it doesn't seem to white out the area just in front of where you would be walking then there's all the figures lumens straight forward but some manufactures give values in Cd and some in lux eg.tn36ut 20360Cd mm25500cd k60 124100 Cd so where would lux come into this and then to make thing harder I found sky lumen all I can say is wow alot of very tempting things any help suggestions etc on this matter would be much appreciated :wave:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

It sounds like you're just looking for a plaything. Is that right, or what are you hoping to use this light for? Have you seen this?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hello all I'm after a bit of help please after researching for a week now on line watching videos etc I'm at a lose to decide on the right tourch initially I thought easy I need a flood like the tn36ut or somthing from the niwalker range like the mm25mb or open to other suggestions but the started finding things like the ace beam k60 which in some videos seems to give good spill obviously not as much as a flooded but also gives a good range and it doesn't seem to white out the area just in front of where you would be walking then there's all the figures lumens straight forward but some manufactures give values in Cd and some in lux eg.tn36ut 20360Cd mm25500cd k60 124100 Cd so where would lux come into this and then to make thing harder I found sky lumen all I can say is wow alot of very tempting things any help suggestions etc on this matter would be much appreciated :wave:

What? I cannot understand what you're even saying here.

Slow down. Speak in concise sentences.

ven

Flashaholic
What do you want the light for? to flood, to throw or both?

Out of the 3 mentioned, the UT and the MM(which one as the mm18 can throw ok) are flood lights, fairly compact in size(well compared to the "normal" 4 cell light. The k60 is an excellent all rounder, big not spot and bright spill.

As you have seen skylumen, go for the k60vn, shaved dome to increase the 120(seen up to 160kcd) to 200+ kcd and slightly warm the cool tint by 500k or so..........

Make sure which ever you go for, you read up on the safety side, looking after, charging etc of the 18650 cells. Make sure you buy decent branded cells, can provide you with a great guy/shop here in the UK by PM if required. Also as important as good cells...........the charger!!! To keep it simple for now, nitecore and xtar are worth checking out, ideally a 4 bay charger.

If not done, put the light in the top right search part, read up on each and check some pics.

:welcome: and the slippery slope of flashaholicism.............all be it a bright slope!

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all, I'm after a bit of help please. After researching for a week now on line watching videos etc. I'm at a loss to decide on the right torch. Initially, I thought easy... I need a floody light like the tn36ut or something from the niwalker range like the mm25mb or open to other suggestions. But then started finding things like the Acebeam k60 which in some videos seems to give good spill obviously not as much as a floody light, but also gives a good range and it doesn't seem to white out the area just in front of where you would be walking.

Then there's all the figures. Lumens is straight forward but some manufactures give values in Cd and some in lux, eg.tn36ut 20360Cd mm25500cd k60 124100 Cd. So where would lux come into this?

And then to make thing harder I found Skylumen. All I can say is wow. A lot of very tempting things. Any help suggestions etc. on this matter would be much appreciated. :wave:
Punctuation and capitalization is your friend. Hopefully this helps someone else decipher what you're trying to say.

By the way, there's no such thing as the right torch. There are right torches, but you need more than one since they all have different use cases. The right torch for one scenario may not be a good choice in a different scenario.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff here.

Make sure which ever you go for, you read up on the safety side, looking after, charging etc of the 18650 cells. Make sure you buy decent branded cells... Also as important as good cells...........the charger!!!

If not done, put the light in the top right search part, read up on each and check some pics.

Punctuation and capitalization is your friend.

By the way, there's no such thing as the right torch. There are right torches, but you need more than one since they all have different use cases. The right torch for one scenario may not be a good choice in a different scenario.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Personally I would have to recommend the K60 or K60VN SD. If you want to treat yourself to a nice bright torch for general purpose use, then it's really hard to go wrong with the K60. Keep in mind that it is bigger, (like they fall into a different category bigger) than the other two lights you mentioned. However, the heat is much more of an issue with the smaller lights in the higher modes. The throw on the K60 of course outclasses the other two lights, but it does in fact have a somewhat substantial spill area. If you REALLY need the spill to come all the way down to your feet when you walk, then the TN36 will basically do that for you. However, it cannot sustain the high modes for very long before getting hot. That said "medium" is still really bright with that light. But I think the biggest "wow" and overall more practical light is the K60 or K60 VN sd.
lux and cd are the same thing.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pick up a Prometheus Dark Sucks Alpha Ready Made, then call it a day.

Pops

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Phoenix1976, I clearly get the meaning of your words.

It sounds like you have been taking in a lot of information about lights and that can be overwhelming! It least it was to me when I first started researching and learning about lights!

So therefore we only need you to tell us your stated purpose or purposes for the light you are asking about so we can be specific as to what to recommend to you. It might also help if you tell us in what price range you want the light to be in.

Thanks!

Phoenix1976

Newly Enlightened
Personally I would have to recommend the K60 or K60VN SD. If you want to treat yourself to a nice bright torch for general purpose use, then it's really hard to go wrong with the K60. Keep in mind that it is bigger, (like they fall into a different category bigger) than the other two lights you mentioned. However, the heat is much more of an issue with the smaller lights in the higher modes. The throw on the K60 of course outclasses the other two lights, but it does in fact have a somewhat substantial spill area. If you REALLY need the spill to come all the way down to your feet when you walk, then the TN36 will basically do that for you. However, it cannot sustain the high modes for very long before getting hot. That said "medium" is still really bright with that light. But I think the biggest "wow" and overall more practical light is the K60 or K60 VN sd.
lux and cd are the same thing.

How much do you want to spend?

Thanks stereodude. That helped a lot.

Phoenix1976, I clearly get the meaning of your words.

It sounds like you have been taking in a lot of information about lights and that can be overwhelming! It least it was to me when I first started researching and learning about lights!

So therefore we only need you to tell us your stated purpose or purposes for the light you are asking about so we can be specific as to what to recommend to you. It might also help if you tell us in what price range you want the light to be in.

Thanks!

Thank you all for taking the time to reply,a few of you have confirmed what I was thinking the k60 will be the best all round light suited to what I need it for.Will no doubt go for the molded one fro sky lumen as there is no dealer in UK for standard one so if I got to import may as well go for a better version. Thanks again for the helpful comments.