Potential issue with new Nitecore TIP keychain flashlight?

Flashlike

Enlightened
I purchased a new Nitecore TIP keychain flashlight.
Everything seemed to work perfectly the first week or so after I got it, but now the two red LED
lights underneath the switch covers are blinking on constantly every 2 or 3 seconds.
It's sort of like it has gone into a "locator" mode. They aren't that bright, but I would like to be
able to turn them off if I could (or at least have the option to do that).

I'm not even sure what caused them to turn on. I figure that the battery probably has a slightly higher
drain when they are constantly blinking like that.

Has anyone else had that happen? I called the dealer from whom I purchased the light and they suggested
that I contact Nitecore, so I just sent a message to Nitecore Customer Service to see what they have to say
about it.

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas on this, please?

Last edited:

TNRonin

Newly Enlightened
Re: Potential issue with new Nitecore TIP keychaing flashlight?

I tried going to the support section on nitecore and that didn't work. So I emailed them. Worst case it goes back for exchange.

YummyBacon!

Enlightened

Those go when the battery is low. Charge it up! Also, do not leave the light in lockout mode for days
as this seems to increase the battery drain…then the blink comes on & kills the remaining charge.
BTW, this has been discussed in the long Tip thead.:D

I purchased a new Nitecore TIP keychain flashlight.
Everything seemed to work perfectly the first week or so after I got it, but now the two red LED
lights underneath the switch covers are blinking on constantly every 2 or 3 seconds.
It's sort of like it has gone into a "locator" mode. They aren't that bright, but I would like to be
able to turn them off if I could (or at least have the option to do that).

I'm not even sure what caused them to turn on. I figure that the battery probably has a slightly higher
drain when they are constantly blinking like that.

Has anyone else had that happen? I called the dealer from whom I purchased the light and they suggested
that I contact Nitecore, so I just sent a message to Nitecore Customer Service to see what they have to say
about it.

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas on this, please?

TNRonin

Newly Enlightened

I just realized this is a tip thread. Mine is a thumb.

Last edited:

YummyBacon!

Enlightened

Hmmm, thats new.

TNRonin

Newly Enlightened

I'm good at being THAT GUY.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I remember correctly, Nitecore likes to handle warranty claims through the dealer you purchased it from. Just curious where you got it. Have them replace it promptly.

Flashlike

Enlightened

Those go when the battery is low. Charge it up! Also, do not leave the light in lockout mode for days
as this seems to increase the battery drain…then the blink comes on & kills the remaining charge.
BTW, this has been discussed in the long Tip thead.:D

I checked the charge level (by pressing the "mode" switch briefly when the flashlight was off) and the red lights flash twice which is supposed to indicate
that the battery level is "less than 50%". It doesn't say anything in the operator manual about the red leds continually flashing when the bettery level is low,
but maybe they do.

Bummers if it truly has more battery drain when in lockout mode. I've had it turn on accidentally in my pocket a couple of times so I like to use the lockout
mode.

I'm charging it up tonight and we'll see what happens.

YummyBacon!

Enlightened

LOL, glad you mentioned… was starting to look at my TIP sideways:eek: Yes, Thumb has a beacon mode
on the 2 red LED's using the rear button.

I just realized this is a tip thread. Mine is a thumb.

Flashlike

Enlightened

OK -- thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I charged it up last night and no more constant blinking of the red LEDs, so apparently YummyBacon! was correct.
It's interesting that nothing is said about this in the Operator's Manual, though. http://flashlight.nitecore.com/html/uploads/ueditor/image/product/TIP/TIP_TIP-CRI_UM_EN.pdf

I don't believe the TIP has a beacon mode.

I sure don't like the fact that being in the lock out mode drains the battery, though. I'm going to check mine out to see if that is the case.

On another note, how can I edit my thread title? I didn't spell "keychain" correctly.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

The following FIVE people in this thread are reporting short battery life when using lockout
blah9, bltkmt, YummyBacon, 1jono and 1jonowife

the lockout is controlled by the microchip and consumes battery power. This reduces the standby time to no more than a week depending on the current battery level.
thank you for confirming lockout drains the battery within a week or less.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

The following FIVE people in this thread are reporting short battery life when using lockout

Man, another usability issue. Customers being used as beta testers on this one. Could have been so much better. :shrug:

firsttothescene

Enlightened

Just wear it on a necklace as I do with my tube, it's not that much heavier. Then you won't have to use lockout.

Flashlike

Enlightened

Wow -- thanks for the info. Faulty design in my opinion.

Flashlike

Enlightened

I sent a complaint to Nitecore Customer Service stating that the battery discharges more quickly when the flashlight is in lockout mode.
This was their response:

"Thank you for your interest in Nitecore's product, as the capacity of the battery in tip is somehow small, and it will discharge even if you do not use the light, normally, the battery could last for about 2 weeks if you don't use the light"

What a lame answer!

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, you didn't expect them to willingly take them all back did you?

Impossible lumens

Enlightened

I sent a complaint to Nitecore Customer Service stating that the battery discharges more quickly when the flashlight is in lockout mode.
This was their response:

"Thank you for your interest in Nitecore's product, as the capacity of the battery in tip is somehow small, and it will discharge even if you do not use the light, normally, the battery could last for about 2 weeks if you don't use the light"

What a lame answer!
After you say "This was their response:" I already knew it wasn't going to be anything relevant or useful in any kind of way whatsoever. My curiosity was to the degree that there response would be condescending and insulting. I give it a generous 6 out of 10 as far as corporate responses go. I think this light is now pretty far on the back burner for now. Thanks for the information.:)

RollerBoySE

Enlightened

After you say "This was their response:" I already knew it wasn't going to be anything relevant or useful in any kind of way whatsoever. My curiosity was to the degree that there response would be condescending and insulting. I give it a generous 6 out of 10 as far as corporate responses go. I think this light is now pretty far on the back burner for now. Thanks for the information.:)

After the nonfunctioning update of the i2 charger
( http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Nitecore Intellicharger new i2 2016 UK.html )
And now this, it's probably a good idea to avoid Nitecore until they get their act together.

Nowzen

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys, (first post)
I have discovered that TIP does have a hidden beacon mode!

To turn on TIP Beacon Mode:
While pressing and holding MODE button, short press power button.
2 red leds will continue to flash every 3 seconds. (Probably not great for battery life)

To turn off Beacon mode: Press Mode button.

Don't know why Nitecore doesn't publish this. 😊