Can you feel the season changing? And wow my tastes in lights changed 3 years later.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm already sensing autumn with it's darker and shorter 'days' coming around, yet, I don't find myself yearning for high powered dumb-lumens-lights anymore (have one decent compact 18650 all around hotspot-spill-thrower).

I sold all my quad XP-G2 dropins, chucked my MTG2 dropin, returned a recently purchased Nitecore TM03 with the XHP70 ("2,800 Lumens!" <- lol, not), sold all my bored Overready hosts and even my big SST-90 light. My flashaholism has changed into a more Zen like level. I really get a kick out of the latest in compact high-cri single AA/14500 lights, particularly multi-use right-angle headlamps. I consider redonkulous lumens with it's iffy heat management and short runtimes as something sort of a fashion trend, whereas efficient 'bright-enough' high CRI lights with the most common off-the-shelf battery compatibility will always be timeless. Timeless and primed for when there's the zombi apocalypse :naughty:. And there's always room for improvements in this part of the flashaholic spectrum. I think I'll be well enough occupied.

I have to change my sigline picture. Sorry Einstein, been there, done that. :D

Canuke

Enlightened
I've always been attuned to seasonal change, down to the solar angle and especially the changing smells - but not so much in the Southwest as I was back home in the Great Lakes area.

I've gone the other way on lights though. I have my 200 lumen workhorse EDC's, which at modern efficiencies are a solved problem, but big dumb lumens has been my interest for the past few years, ever since the first 1000 lumen XML lights under $10 showed up at local hardware stores, and were followed by all those new big emitters.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddly enough. ..I am looking forward more to the decreasing hours of sunlight than I had previously....finding reasons to go outside more after dark.

Last night I went for an after dark bike ride equipped with a small 21 Lumen front light and blinky red rear...it was fun and got some fresh air and exercise while I was at it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm already sensing autumn with it's darker and shorter 'days' coming around, yet, I don't find myself yearning for high powered dumb-lumens-lights anymore (have one decent compact 18650 all around hotspot-spill-thrower).

I sold all my quad XP-G2 dropins, chucked my MTG2 dropin, returned a recently purchased Nitecore TM03 with the XHP70 ("2,800 Lumens!" <- lol, not), sold all my bored Overready hosts and even my big SST-90 light. My flashaholism has changed into a more Zen like level. I really get a kick out of the latest in compact high-cri single AA/14500 lights, particularly multi-use right-angle headlamps. I consider redonkulous lumens with it's iffy heat management and short runtimes as something sort of a fashion trend, whereas efficient 'bright-enough' high CRI lights with the most common off-the-shelf battery compatibility will always be timeless. Timeless and primed for when there's the zombi apocalypse :naughty:. And there's always room for improvements in this part of the flashaholic spectrum. I think I'll be well enough occupied.

I have to change my sigline picture. Sorry Einstein, been there, done that. :D
Hey ledmitter_nli welcome back.

Yeah, shorter days, is something I am not looking forward to, and they are coming! Actually, they are already here, and they are getting shorter. I noted last week that it was already dark when I was taking my grandson to practice.

I guess, with both of us living in the NYC metropolitan area, we don't have the need for high powered, far throwing lights, maybe ONE for when we take that occasional trip to the hinterland.

I actually use my lights indoors as much as out. And when outdoors, it is usually just to light a path, while walking the dog, or taking the garbage out. With those two tasks 40 lumens is enough, 200 is plenty, and at those settings... hours of light with a single 18650, still it is nice to have 600 lumens on tap for a few seconds (or 2 hours) if wanted. For the most part, the difference between 600 and 1000 lumens isn't worth the decreased run-time... again... for the most part.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can relate to y'all.

Iit's only been two years for me but my taste has changed considerably; I started on cool AA/AAA factory lights, looking for big numbers - and am into neutral and warm D26/P60 dropins, hosts and batteries now with hopes for 1-or-<1-lumen lows.

I'm pretty darn excited for fall and its longer periods of dark, as I didn't get to do much flashlight stuff last year due to my work schedule. I hope to make up for lost time this year!

ven

Flashaholic
I am always a little mixed in feelings at this time of year( i love seasons, but here in the UK we tend to not get them like we used to get) with the good old seasonal effective disorder(no not a bad sufferer but dont feel as good as i do in summer). As the night's draw in, i do get more use out of my lights at home=excellent............but i miss my longer days. What really annoys me is the weather, we get darkness from 3.30pm yet most chances (for fun) get missed due to heavy winds and rain. I do like autumn , leaves falling off the trees, the clean crisp air(and ground) and some nice wintry walks.

Lights wise, i am as passionate today as i have ever been for my high output lights, lighting up fields or throwing a spot 100's of yards away for absolutely no reason at all other than because i can. My colour temp taste has changed, i enjoy the slightly warmer side when previously i did not have much time for(ok but no thanks type). Now i use 4000k without a thought other than "nice colours" to break up the too cool ghostly white faded out blandness. Nichia 219B and 219C play a daily part in my life, close up tasks it just works for me. But i do enjoy the cooler side as well, 5500k even 6000k is fine as long as i am not getting angry blues and faded colours. My night time tired and wanting to close eyes like some strain relieved when searching or looking at something.............nichia has my back(well eyes to be exact).

CPF(yep you guys) have opened my tired strained eyes over the years(i have a pretty open mind and far from one to get stuck in their ways) so it has been welcomed open arms over the years although it was never love at 1st light! . Also my choices in light types have changed which i guess is natural. At 1st its like " hey new light, cool must have as its black and an xm-l2...........again. Now its more "do i need this?, do i have one like this?, would i use it?, what would i use it for? " kind of thoughts if makes sense. So more picky, i think warmer tints help out some in the cold dark winter months as well(personal) more dull surroundings from cloudy drab miserable UK days/evenings.

EDC size has stayed pretty much the same flavour, 16340 from early on and now the occasional 18350 and even 18650!!!! The latter is no issue in winter clothes.............no quad pd35 in my budgie smugglers thanks :p not when there is a tk75 and 2 extension kits there anyway...........:whistle: ok i am being silly, just 1 kit!

Enough waffle, time for someone else :thumbsup:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Winter/Fall due to the fact I can wear my Scott Vest or Jacket. Then I have tons of room for all my junk! Trust me, if you like to carry tons of Junk check them out. I also like Winter/Fall because I can do tons of outside and not die from oppressive heat and humidity. :twothumbs

MX421

Enlightened
I also like Winter/Fall because I can do tons of outside and not die from oppressive heat and humidity. :twothumbs

+1, Its hot here in Texas...still. Am looking forward to the temperatures cooling...

Halloween is what kicks it off for me. Taking the kids out at night screams (pun intended) flashlights. This year, i am trying to get diffusers for the occasion to assist in decoration as well.

My tastes have also changed. Went from lots of lumens (cool) to warm tint and was starting to migrate to Hi CRI.

And to think this last bout of flashlight binge buying (multitudes flashlight later) came from looking up rechargables for my 2XCR123 light i was perfectly satisfied with...lol.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
MX, I decorate the front of my house every Halloween for me & all the kiddos. I used to use gel diffusers I had from some old par can stage lights. But one year I discovered if you put on of those big plastic bounce balls on a light that is tail standing it looks way cool. Here is a pic of a green one I did real quick to post in a thread a while back to give you the idea.

I do a red & green on for Christmas (cause I am tacky like that). But for Halloween, get you a big orange ball, then cut out on some black construction paper jack-o-lantern eyes & mouth. Tape them on and light it up! It looks freaking awesome. Just make sure you have a light that will tail stand or jig it up. I usually run the light on low or medium. The kids will love it.

Last year I also used some clear beach balls I got from $5 And Below <<--- {that is a local store where everything is $5 or less} to make ghosts. I tape some AAA lights to them and threw a old white cloth on them. Then hung em. You can also play around if you have a light that has strobe. There is fun to be had there too.
Anyways, I just listed another reason I like the cooler weather. Outdoor flashlight fun.

20CB0B87-5AC0-430E-BB3A-87F94114C1BE_zpsrwtos6gr.jpg

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey ledmitter_nli welcome back.

Yeah, shorter days, is something I am not looking forward to, and they are coming! Actually, they are already here, and they are getting shorter. I noted last week that it was already dark when I was taking my grandson to practice.

I guess, with both of us living in the NYC metropolitan area, we don't have the need for high powered, far throwing lights, maybe ONE for when we take that occasional trip to the hinterland.

I actually use my lights indoors as much as out. And when outdoors, it is usually just to light a path, while walking the dog, or taking the garbage out. With those two tasks 40 lumens is enough, 200 is plenty, and at those settings... hours of light with a single 18650, still it is nice to have 600 lumens on tap for a few seconds (or 2 hours) if wanted. For the most part, the difference between 600 and 1000 lumens isn't worth the decreased run-time... again... for the most part.

That's interesting about the NYC thing I agree we don't need throwers unless traveling to perhaps the Appalachians for maybe skiing. Being in the city, there is so much ambient light that for the majority time you'll really only need something that's complimentary to your surroundings. In fact there's so much ambient light that it even drowned out my bright flooders diminishing how bright they really feel so why bother. I can pierce dark corners, or retinas, with a compact 18650 cool white XPL tac light. But for stepping into a car, checking for left behind items in a cab, or even as a comfort reading bed light, I find a small right-angle high CRI warm AA/14500 light trumped my custom hosts loaded with the kenji quads. In short range personal spaces they where overkill. Sure I can step-down the lumens but you are still carrying so much metal (ina addition to my 18650 tac light in my bag). A small 250 lumen personal space floody light gets the job done. So I sold them. As a flashaholic, there's still the pursuit of even higher and efficient CRI's in this size range. So that's why I'm sure I'll be occupied for years to come. lol.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am always a little mixed in feelings at this time of year( i love seasons, but here in the UK we tend to not get them like we used to get) with the good old seasonal effective disorder(no not a bad sufferer but dont feel as good as i do in summer). As the night's draw in, i do get more use out of my lights at home=excellent............but i miss my longer days. What really annoys me is the weather, we get darkness from 3.30pm yet most chances (for fun) get missed due to heavy winds and rain. I do like autumn , leaves falling off the trees, the clean crisp air(and ground) and some nice wintry walks.

Lights wise, i am as passionate today as i have ever been for my high output lights, lighting up fields or throwing a spot 100's of yards away for absolutely no reason at all other than because i can. My colour temp taste has changed, i enjoy the slightly warmer side when previously i did not have much time for(ok but no thanks type). Now i use 4000k without a thought other than "nice colours" to break up the too cool ghostly white faded out blandness. Nichia 219B and 219C play a daily part in my life, close up tasks it just works for me. But i do enjoy the cooler side as well, 5500k even 6000k is fine as long as i am not getting angry blues and faded colours. My night time tired and wanting to close eyes like some strain relieved when searching or looking at something.............nichia has my back(well eyes to be exact).

CPF(yep you guys) have opened my tired strained eyes over the years(i have a pretty open mind and far from one to get stuck in their ways) so it has been welcomed open arms over the years although it was never love at 1st light! . Also my choices in light types have changed which i guess is natural. At 1st its like " hey new light, cool must have as its black and an xm-l2...........again. Now its more "do i need this?, do i have one like this?, would i use it?, what would i use it for? " kind of thoughts if makes sense. So more picky, i think warmer tints help out some in the cold dark winter months as well(personal) more dull surroundings from cloudy drab miserable UK days/evenings.

EDC size has stayed pretty much the same flavour, 16340 from early on and now the occasional 18350 and even 18650!!!! The latter is no issue in winter clothes.............no quad pd35 in my budgie smugglers thanks :p not when there is a tk75 and 2 extension kits there anyway...........:whistle: ok i am being silly, just 1 kit!

Enough waffle, time for someone else :thumbsup:

I used to be a fan of the Nichia's especially the 219B neutral with the faint rose tint, not as much lately tho having settled into the really warm 3,000K high CRI range for my comfort zone. I can still have some of the rose, 90 CRI, and warms my heart when I'm under it. All in the palm of my hand. :D

MX421

Enlightened
MX, I decorate the front of my house every Halloween for me & all the kiddos. I used to use gel diffusers I had from some old par can stage lights. But one year I discovered if you put on of those big plastic bounce balls on a light that is tail standing it looks way cool. Here is a pic of a green one I did real quick to post in a thread a while back to give you the idea.

I do a red & green on for Christmas (cause I am tacky like that). But for Halloween, get you a big orange ball, then cut out on some black construction paper jack-o-lantern eyes & mouth. Tape them on and light it up! It looks freaking awesome. Just make sure you have a light that will tail stand or jig it up. I usually run the light on low or medium. The kids will love it.

Last year I also used some clear beach balls I got from $5 And Below <<--- {that is a local store where everything is $5 or less} to make ghosts. I tape some AAA lights to them and threw a old white cloth on them. Then hung em. You can also play around if you have a light that has strobe. There is fun to be had there too.
Anyways, I just listed another reason I like the cooler weather. Outdoor flashlight fun.

20CB0B87-5AC0-430E-BB3A-87F94114C1BE_zpsrwtos6gr.jpg

I like that and the ghost idea. I have quite a few lights that tailstand. Balloons might also work (for the lights that don't get too hot of course.

I've got some pumpkins i was going to stick them in and have been digging through the recycle in for some makeshift diffusers to distribute the light through the pumpkin better. Also thought about filling some old plastic container with orange juice for the orange glow in a room...lol.

Last edited: