Been out of the loop, what is a good pocket thrower for 100-200 dollars?

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I admit, I haven't kept up on things like I used to, very sad I know :(

I have a friend who asked for a recommendation on a pocket sized thrower, that takes either AA or 123 batteries.

He said his budget is 100-200 dollars.

What is the hottest little pocket rocket these days? I think he wants the "wow" factor.

The last light I bought was a high CRI HDS rotary about 3 years ago or so.

Thanks!

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
I've been out of the loop myself.... My two last HDS lights have the old V thread!

If your friend wants to stay away from rechargeable Lithium Ion cells, getting a "rocket" is probably a bit more tricky. I am very happy with my Nitecore EA41 which runs on 4 AA cells, but it's a bit chunky, not something you are going to want to slip in your pocket. If you want WOW out of a single AA or CR123, you really need to go to the rechargeable 14500 or RCR16340 type cells and find a light that takes advantage of them. I quite like the Nitecore lights myself, but I'm keen on the two button interface. Zebralight might have something small and bright and most of the stuff I can think of is going to be sub $100, not including cells and chargers.

Sorry... that's all the help I'm going to be.

Regards

Christian

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either the Nitecore EA11 or the EC11. Either one when used with a rechargeable cell will do 900 lumens, and the throw is claimed to be 190 meters. On primary cells the output is a good deal less, and I would assume the throw would follow suit. Either one fits well in a jeans pocket, although I have taken to carrying my EA11 in its holster on my belt. I am just concerned that the edges of the clip will wear out the pocket material prematurely, and it really feels better there anyway. The lights sell for around $60, and an XTAR VP2 charger and a couple of cells would put him in the $100 ball park.

PS: Just unscrew the tail cap a little ways to lock it out. The parasitic drain is a little strong on these. It's not so bad when using Li-Ion because one can just recharge the cell. but primaries can get expensive, and when they are gone, they're gone for good.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I admit, I haven't kept up on things like I used to, very sad I know :(

I have a friend who asked for a recommendation on a pocket sized thrower, that takes either AA or 123 batteries.

He said his budget is 100-200 dollars.

What is the hottest little pocket rocket these days? I think he wants the "wow" factor.

The last light I bought was a high CRI HDS rotary about 3 years ago or so.

Thanks!

Please define thrower a little.

This dandy little dude is a combo light where it lights up everything brightly for 75' or so but reaches out oh, say.. another 50' or so with its spot beam.

The dimly lit garage in the distance is at 300'.
$80 plus a battery.

ven

Flashaholic
The pocket rocket itself from PK:naughty: good suggestion, but again define throw as AA/CR123 are pretty limited imo. The PK does kick out a decent amount of light for sure.............useful light, decent reach and spill.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Imalent DN11 or DN12,both put out 1000 lumens with about 360 meter throw.

jedi_master

Newly Enlightened
Easy. Zebralight sc600 mk III HI its $95 nobody will disagree.

You must be kidding! For a pocket thrower, Nitecore MH20GT is the current benchmark. Zebra makes floody lights with orange peel reflector. I own a sc600 mkii and I don't plant on getting another zebra light including mkiii. I simply don't like Zebra UI!

OP, both sc600 mkiii and Nitecore MH20GT require 18650 battery.

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must be kidding! For a pocket thrower, Nitecore MH20GT is the current benchmark. Zebra makes floody lights with orange peel reflector. I own a sc600 mkii and I don't plant on getting another zebra light including mkiii. I simply don't like Zebra UI!

OP, both sc600 mkiii and Nitecore MH20GT require 18650 battery.

I think mh20gt requires use of its own battery, another reason I didn't go for it.

In think so far, the suggestions closest to OPs requirements are th PK PR1 which is great and bright for its size but as others have said, without going above 3volts, output will be limited and the eyes get used to lumens quickly like a recreational drug!

narmattaru

Enlightened
i`v just got Maxtoch Shooter 2x dedomed...this is REALLY bright!
i confirm that it has at least 850m working range with stated 1100
and it is about 100$

really, really good thrower.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac TX25C is an impressive single CR123 thrower. And it's actually below $100, which should not be a problem I think...

jedi_master

Newly Enlightened
I think mh20gt requires use of its own battery, another reason I didn't go for it.

In think so far, the suggestions closest to OPs requirements are th PK PR1 which is great and bright for its size but as others have said, without going above 3volts, output will be limited and the eyes get used to lumens quickly like a recreational drug!

Nope, the MH20GT takes regular 18650. Zebra mkiii, on the hand, require a smaller unprotected 18650 from what I read in this forum. I agree CR123 limits options. I understand the OP's feeling. I was one of those people that resists on using 18650 light as long as I can remember. But once made the shift to 18650, I never look back! Light like MH20GT makes the transition easier, which isn't much bigger than TX25C (which I also own) in hand and yet it puts out a lot more power and runtime due to 18650.