Dedicated Throwers vs High Output Throwers!

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Ok so I want a big Throw Light but not sure on what type of Beam I want!

Just want your opinions on Lights with Dedicated Beam Throw such as Acebeam K70 or Lights Such as Jetbeam T6 which is High Output

Whats better and Why?

harro

Enlightened
I dunno that one particular light is better than the next. I guess it all depends on what best suits your purposes and requirements. I like single emitter lights. I guess, at the risk of upsetting people, anyone can shoehorn 3 or 4 or more LED's into a reflector, and end up with a mega thrower/flooder/mix, or whatever. Personally, i like single emitter lights, with their LED's driven pretty hard to achieve that throw, or flood. Whilst they're becoming a bit passe, the K60 and K70 are prime examples. Both are driven hard from the factory, are in big smo or lop reflectors, and pretty much hold their own against multi emitter competition. Whilst i'd own one in the blink of an eye, the T6 is probably a good example of more LED's to achieve the same end. No right or wrong, just what suits your purpose. You're not going to go wrong either way, IMVHO.

Thorch

Newly Enlightened
If you really want a throw light buy a Thrunite TN42. If you want one with more spill buy a Acebeam K70. Or a NetBeans T6. Or maybe the Nitecore TM16GT. There are o lot of reviews on these lights except for the TN42, it is a new light which will be send to customers on 20th September. PS a pencil light with 1500m throw is nice but what are you gonna do with it? It is nicer to have a good combination, like the Acebeam K60 or the new imtoduced Acebeam X65 with 1150m throw and 11150 lumen (detailed information half October)

ven

Flashaholic
Neither is better, like asking which is better a bucket or a wheel barrow.... for washing my car the bucket is best. For moving a load of soil, the wheel barrow is best.......yet I could use either for either job......although far from ideal.

Get what is best for your want and needs........unfortunately one light will never do everything perfect.

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
I know neither is better than the other :thinking:

What I really wanted to discuss here was the beam patterns. When I say better I mean for example... Is the K70 better because there is less spill than the T6?

Meaning does the T6 spill affect the eye when it comes to seeing the Hot spot?

When I watched a video of the T6 I could barely see the hot spot due to the flood, but on the K70 the hot spot is very bright and you can see the beam like a light saber effect...

I guess it still comes down to use or preference... :crazy:

Can we just have a bit of a vote to which you prefer and why.. :duh2:

mjgsxr

Enlightened
An aspherical led thrower like a deft x is a pure thrower. No spill just a pure beam of light that throws for ever. Problem is you can only see a small spot and nothing else.

A mule led light with no reflector or optics just lights all in front of you. Both lights equally impressive in total different ways.

Only you can decide which light best suits your needs. If petals aren't an issue for you in the beam then the t6vn is a great light. Has the throw of a k70 and the out put of the k60. Don't get to got up in lux numbers as double lux doesn't mean double the throw and in real life it's hard to see a big difference at long ranges.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
A dedicated thrower is called a dedicated thrower because it is a dedicated thrower. That's what it does, pretty much to the exclusion of the everything else. Is it a gladiator of wow when lit up on a dark night? Pretty much. Does it have the ability to spot objects at extreme distances if that is what you are into? Pretty much. Is it at all practical for lighting up a rather large area at a couple hundred yards simply to see what all is over there? Not so much. This is where your throw/flood combos will shine. Weather it be multi emitter like the T6 or single high output emitter that also has some throw like the K60, these lights will take care of business for everything and the kitchen sink at 200 meters. Personally, if you really want a big "Wow" light and are stuck in the middle between getting a throw or flood. I'd go K60, if you don't already have one.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to light up an area sufficiently to be able to make out details at one mile, you will want a light with one high power emitter like an XPL or one of those like it, with a large diameter smooth reflector that is at least as deep as it is wide, but preferably deeper. Then you will get a beam in which almost all of the emitted light is collimated into a narrowly defined beam. There will be very little if any spill. The TM36 is somewhat like that. I believe Surefire makes one that behaves similarly. Many of the aspherics also fall into this category, as they use the lens itself to collimate the beam. Either way, there is very little spill outside of the main beam.
The next step over is like the TM16GT or the TK70. The reflector isn't as deep, nor is it as large in diameter. This gives a strong central beam, but a reasonable amount of spill around it.
The following step is where there is one or more emitters with a rather shallow reflector each. Depending on the strength of the emitter there will be a hot spot that doesn't reach as far, with much more spill. The Nitecore EA41 and the other pop-can lights fall into this category.
The other end of the spectrum is the pure flooder, like the TM06 or the Olight SR Mini Intimidator, which by one way or the other spread all of the output into a wide beam without much if any hot spot, and very little spill outside of the main beam.
Then, of course, there is the mule, where there is no reflector or lens, and the output is spread smoothly across the entire arc of the beam.

Last edited:

swan

Banned
If you want a thrower get the one with the longest throw- the new Thrunite TN42 2000 lumens and 680 000cd.

CarlF

Newly Enlightened
Is there any recommendation on an EDC which has good throw? I am after a decent smallish (SureFire 6P sized) torch which has the best throw.

Thanks

Carl :)

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I really wanted to discuss here was the beam patterns. When I say better I mean for example... Is the K70 better because there is less spill than the T6?
Is a convertible better than a coupe? Or a saloon better than an Estate?

It all depends on your actual use and preference. And the two lights you site, apart from maybe physically looking similar are really quite different in what they are trying to achieve.

The K70 seems to be built more for throw. So as a general purpose light it's probably not all that great. Using it for walking will result in a blinding hotspot and make it hard to seem much else in front of you. Forcing you to probably step it down to lower modes. But as the spill beam is likely to be dimmer anyhow, this will only help in reducing glare of the hotspot.

The T6 is going to be a much more versatile light. But it won't have the range.

I don't own either of these lights, as tbh they are somewhat pricey IMO and don't really represent all that great vfm. And as they are physically large, this makes them bulky to carry and use. And I'm rather against Cool White tints.

But I have some other lights which I think might help you understand the beam profiles a little. These lights are not as powerful, but nor were they as pricey. But the beam profiles should maybe help a little.

There are three lights to reference.

1. Is the 5th from the left with the blue O-ring on the lens. This is an Olight SR52. It's only an XM-L2. But in a large SMO reflector, so gives a good "thrower' style beam profile. The K70 is likely to have a similar beam profile, but be brighter and maybe a tighter hotspot.

2. Is the coke can sized light directly on the right of the SR52. This is a 4 x XM-L2 SkyRay King. Not so massively different in concept to the T6. Although on the SkyRay the reflectors are slightly smaller and slightly shallower. So it makes it more of a flooder than a thrower.

3. The vey large light at the top of the photo. This is a Lustefire 3 x XM-L light. But as the head is big, each reflector is fairly well sized. So it has quite a lot of beam distance. My hunch is, the T6 you are interested in will have a beam profile somewhere between the Lustefire and the SkyRay, although again brighter than either of mine.

SR52 - Note how you can see the beam, the area being illuminated is fairly small and no foreground is really being lit very well. But also note the beam is easily lighting up the pylons.

SkyRay - Complete opposite, almost half the picture is illuminated. But most of it from right in front of the camera to about midway. Very large illuminated area (in width terms) compared to the SR52. But the light is struggling to reach the pylons.

Lutefire - This is somewhere between the two. It lights up quite lot of the area, and makes it out to the pylons. But it's neither a flooder or a thrower. Just a fair chunk of light with a reasonable beam distance.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even a dedicated flooder will throw far away if the lumen output is adequate. Our sun is an excellent example of that. But using high output for getting throw is expensive. It demands much battery capacity or you will get very short runtime.
In many situations it's not desirable to shine up the entire neighborhood to illuminate a small object.
And sometimes it's not desirable to have total tunnel vision for seeing at distance. Therefore I usually prefer a good compromise between output and focused beam.

ven

Flashaholic
+1
My tk75vnQ70 out reaches many single 18650 throwers with the wall of light.............why fire a tight spot with 100kcd when you can light up everything

Heck , even my tn36vn with MKR's out reaches the predator v2.5 pro.............

So although it is not better as we have established it does not work that way as completely subjective, i prefer all rounder type lights over dedicated throwers. I find flood more useful and hitting a spot 400yrds away does not impress me as much as lighting a whole field up. I love flood............

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
+1
My tk75vnQ70 out reaches many single 18650 throwers with the wall of light.............why fire a tight spot with 100kcd when you can light up everything

Heck , even my tn36vn with MKR's out reaches the predator v2.5 pro.............

So although it is not better as we have established it does not work that way as completely subjective, i prefer all rounder type lights over dedicated throwers. I find flood more useful and hitting a spot 400yrds away does not impress me as much as lighting a whole field up. I love flood............

THIS!

Great advice Ven I like your way of thinking!