Polystinger LED

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a Polystinger LED 385 lm Nicd light/charger delivered which will be a gift for a family member, they live in a rural setting and need a good light. Over the years we've gifted them a few lights but all have had issues so we're hoping this one works for them and lasts. It seems good, bright and compact enough. The emitter is slightly off center although it doesn't affect the beam. My only concern is the wall plug as it will be used with an adaptor to fit a 220v outlet (they live in Europe). Streamlight said it's fine to use the 120v with an adaptor but I'm still thinking of getting a 230v plug. If this light doesn't work for them IDK what we'll try next. Btw, the same light and setup is available there but at triple the price.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight has a 230 wall wart for the Stinger line. I have had my Polystinger for ages and upgraded it to LED last year. I like the light and have used it at work without it becoming wrecked so I think it should work well for them.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight is going to hear an earful tomorrow from me. The charger cord which they told me would work with an adapter went poof when it was plugged in. It started smoking and was pulled out before it got worse, thankfully the only damage was the cord (and maybe the charger/light but IDK yet). I spoke to their tech dept. on two different occasions prior and was told there was no issue in using a 120v plug with an adapter in Europe, wt..., how could they not know this would happen? I'm quite aggravated with them as a company right now but I'm glad no one got hurt.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
a) wow NiCd sooo 1990's. Amazed you could buy such out dated tech.
b) I'm pretty sure almost every electrical item like a charger you plug into the wall with have the rated voltage written on it. If it didn't say 240 or 230, then it is 100% user error. Rather foolish, and not too mention dangerous.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
a) wow NiCd sooo 1990's. Amazed you could buy such out dated tech.
b) I'm pretty sure almost every electrical item like a charger you plug into the wall with have the rated voltage written on it. If it didn't say 240 or 230, then it is 100% user error. Rather foolish, and not too mention dangerous.

Your kidding right? Did you read the first post? The company, Streamlight, told me that using the 120v plug in a 230v socket with an adaptor is safe and would work. I checked this out with them more then once to make sure. I was told ALL the plugs step down the voltage to 12v and the only difference was the plug shape. No user error but rather very bad and dangerous information relayed from the manufacturer.

As for outdated tech, go check out battery university and read up on the different battery chemistries, or even goggle search this forum for comparisons between the batteries. You'll see that although Nicd is an older tech it's still preferred over Nimh and even li-ion in some regards.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your kidding right? Did you read the first post? The company, Streamlight, told me that using the 120v plug in a 230v socket with an adaptor is safe and would work. I checked this out with them more then once to make sure. I was told ALL the plugs step down the voltage to 12v and the only difference was the plug shape. No user error but rather very bad and dangerous information relayed from the manufacturer.
Yes I read your post. I don't think however that is all the facts.

And sorry, no 'plug' anywhere in the world steps the voltage down to 12v. If you believe that you shouldn't be using any electric items ever FFS.

What is likely the case is, the charger only uses 12 volts, but has some kind of transformer that will step the mains voltage down to this level. Everything in the EU/UK will state it's operating voltage and I'm pretty sure this is true in the USA too...

Many items retailed outside of the USA will work on 230-110 volts. But many US items are only rated to 120v or so.

As for outdated tech, go check out battery university and read up on the different battery chemistries, or even goggle search this forum for comparisons between the batteries. You'll see that although Nicd is an older tech it's still preferred over Nimh and even li-ion in some regards.
Quite aware of battery chemistries thanks. And the only reason to use NiCd is for poor performance, poor runtimes and battery memory reducing capacity further.

BTW - I'm not trying to have a direct go at you. But are you able to provide a picture of the unit you plugged in? Lets see what it's rated specs are, if it says on it that it doesn't support the voltage you plugged it into, then........ :poof:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chicken D....,
Yes that is all the facts and the plug I'm referring to does have a transformer, the adapter does not. Your simply misunderstanding the nomenclature.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spoke to a Streamlight supervisor and so far it seems like they'll handle it promptly and address their staff on the issue.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite aware of battery chemistries thanks. And the only reason to use NiCd is for poor performance, poor runtimes and battery memory reducing capacity further.

Nicd don't have as much capacity as Nimh and they're more toxic (not green) that is true however Nicd are more rugged, more forgiving to overcharge/discharge, more economical, have a higher cycle count (2x), have better cold weather performance, and is still preferred in higher drain applications like power tools. The memory effect of Nicd is also not as prevalent in new batteries as it once was.

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
And the only reason to use NiCd is for poor performance, poor runtimes and battery memory reducing capacity further.

So if my objective is poor performance, poor runtimes I should go NiCd? Lol, I was dying at reading your post.

On a side note, I just saw the PolyStinger LED at Bass Pro Shops for some obscene retail price. I think they wanted $165!!!

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine on Amazon for $105 with a 10 hour charger. Other options raise the price (like quick chargers and Li-ion batteries), but yeah they get a little pricey.

Streamlight is probably going to send a replacement light direct to them in Europe, does anyone know if a customs tax will be applicable on such?

Last edited: