Just received the Zebralight SC600w MK III HI and I have a question about the emitter

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
So I received the SC600w Mk III HI light and I have to say I am extremely impressed. I would not have been able to obtain this light, much less appreciate this light for what it is, without the support of everyone here at the CPF -so thank you all.

I picked it up with the Pana/Sanyo 18650 GA unprotected battery that ZL offers. The battery did come partially charged - it registered three (3) flashes when I utilized the battery lever UI function in the light (4 successive quick clicks) right out of the box. But I put it on my XTAR VP2 at 3.6V setting and 1.0 amp as per HJK's review of this charger. Took about 2 hours to get to to 4.2V and the light turned green.

Anyway, I looked at the emitter at rest, not under a charge and it is flat, with no dome over it. This is designed as a de-domed or un-domed emitter, correct? Also, the emitter doesn't go dark when you power off the light, it slowly dims to dark over maybe a 30 second span of time. Are these questions I am asking just confirming what you guys know about how this light is supposed to operate?

I have to say that H1 on this light is insanely bright. I live on the treasure coast of Florida, close to the ocean and humid, and on these hot, humid summer nights this light picks up droplets of mist within the first 12 inches from the face of the light, it is that bright. It is like having a light saber. I can feel the head of the light begin to get warm within 5 seconds of going to H1, not anything to be concerned about, but it heats up fast. I can switch to H2 and the temperature increase doesn't stop, but the progression is drastically slowed. I was going to run some tests to see how hot the head got at various modes. I have two other ZL's, the SC62w and SC32 so I understand the UI.

I just wanted to see what you guys had to say about the emitter questions I had above. Also, the tint is great, basically identical to the SC62W I have. When I compare the SC600W MK III HI beam on L1 to the SC32 on L1 the SC32 looks to have a light blue tint. I guess that is most of you like the neutral white versus the cool white, correct?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything sounds perfectly normal to me! The HI version like you purchased is supposed to be "flat", it doesn't come with a dome like most LED's which results in a slightly warmer tint and increased throw. The emitter dimming after it's turned off is also normal too. My theory is since it's using a boost circuit the residual voltage after turning the light off is slowly let out via the emitter. It's a great light, powerful, compact and imo the best light ZL has made so far. Enjoy the new light :)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the emitter has a flat silicone wafer over it. The quick slow dimming of the emitter upon turn off as far as I know is just a characteristic of it. Nothing wrong with it at all. One of the best light purchases I have made in 20 years.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good questions, good replies, should have just kept it in the existing thread though. Glad you are enjoying the light.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry about the heat build up even if you are running it on high. The light has thermal control called PID which will step down the light to keep the heat in check. I've run full blast for 15 minutes to test and it works very well.

As far as the slow dimming at shutoff, I imagine that there is a capacitor or inductor somewhere in the step-up circuit that slowly drains once turned off.