Surefire still any good?

LumenKing1

Newly Enlightened
I remember when Surefire lights were on the top of the list when it came to output, and quality etc. Now I see all of these Chinese lights with high outputs and they are inexpensive also.
When it comes to weapon lights, or lights I need to work when I need them, I still choose SF.

So I guess my question is....is the Surefire love gone? If so why?

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hello and :welcome:
Two large (& separate) topics appear to be queried; the question in the thread title, and the 'other manufacturers' question at the end of your post.

The reason I'm asking is that /much/ correspondence could be generated from either topic, so if a single topic/query could be emphasized for your thread, it would facilitate the discussion.

Thanks & best regards,

firsttothescene

Enlightened
My $200 surefire has smudges all over the inside of the lense; unacceptable for that much money. Not very impressed :(

bigfoot

Enlightened
When it comes to weapon lights, or lights I need to work when I need them, I still choose SF.

Agreed. I see the various budget lights as good to have around for utility or general usage, but not something I'd want to stake my life on.

Other reliable U.S.-made brands you might want to look at (in no particular order) are: HDS Systems, Streamlight, Mag-Lite, Pelican, Princeton Tec, Elzetta, and Malkoff Devices. I'm sure I missed a few there, but hopefully others will chime in.

Edit: Oops, also forgot to add in Lens Light.

Last edited:

LumenKing1

Newly Enlightened
Hello and :welcome:
Two large (& separate) topics appear to be queried; the question in the thread title, and the 'other manufacturers' question at the end of your post.

The reason I'm asking is that /much/ correspondence could be generated from either topic, so if a single topic/query could be emphasized for your thread, it would facilitate the discussion.

Thanks & best regards,

Fixed it, and thanks for the welcome.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find their low end stuff worth it and quality. Their higher end stuff value wise just is not worth it and were designed for fat government contracts. I have always wanted a Fury be it the 500 lumen or 1000 lumen. But...they devour CR123's and are made of almost as many Chinese parts as Fenix lights are only the bodies are made in California.

Welcome to CPF

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Surefire you're paying for a very nice light and a better warranty. I'm very much a Surefire fan boy, but I do have some lights that I really don't like from them.

Treeguy

Enlightened
Is there any kind of consensus on the build quality of the new 600 lumen Fury?

I don't mind paying the price as long as it's built like a tank.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I find their low end stuff worth it and quality. Their higher end stuff value wise just is not worth it and were designed for fat government contracts. I have always wanted a Fury be it the 500 lumen or 1000 lumen. But...they devour CR123's and are made of almost as many Chinese parts as Fenix lights are only the bodies are made in California.

Welcome to CPF

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Welcome to CPF

Stepping down as a mod, this question. Would you please substantiate your assertions?

Bill

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
...well, I know a lot of LEO personally here they are issued SF's. After spending far to much time on their site they admit to using non US parts yet still parade the "100% American Made" claim around. I will look again just to double check myself. I am glad they have a quality affordable line now though. I wanted to reason the cost for a Fury for a long time finding info other that "sourced outside the US" and "bodies made in California" added with "100% American" just do not add up. My Marine/Army friends get Surefires and Pelicans.

The light fund is dry for awhile now until I get a certain issue with a certain Amazon retailer over returning and getting my money back on the horrible LED Lenser M14X. Then I may finally satisfy my Fury curiosity. As for substantiation take a long hard read through their site. In my opinion to much does not add up. One good thing is they led me to Solarfoce.

Last edited:

just like me

Banned
Pre-LED in flashlight world, Surefires were uncomparable to the competition; they stood head and shoulders above any other manufacturer, and the cost was justified because they were the best. Early-LED in flashlight world... Surefires still valid due to ruggedness and product quality. The industry shifted as LED became more powerful and efficient, and a lot more flashlight-competition came to the market, and Surefire completely adjusted their strategy not even a tiny little bit. Undoubtedly Surefire sales went down, and their prices stayed the same or went up, when more or less equivalent quality lights could be had for half and a quarter and a tenth as much. The competition is eating Surefire's lunch, but does Surefire care? No, they are like any huge old institution, very slow to react to market changes. Their customer base has shrunk, but become ever more loyal with good reason, and IMO, that keeps Surefire relevant.

My own feelings are that Surefire lights aren't built to the same standard that they once were. They used to be built with conservative electronics but with utter reliability in mind. It seems now that they're chasing the Chinese lights re output at the expense of reliability.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean... I like some of their "low end" lights that I can actually afford lol

I have a Yellow G2X Pro. Great light at 300 something lumens with a neutral emitter. I have to use 16650s in it though which is annoying. At least they charge like 18650s. It's basically like a TK11. I actually wish the G2X had a grip ring though. Both good lights. The G2X is a great all around light though as it has a good general 10 lumen setting and the 300 is great for most other things and you can easily switch between both modes without a ton of other BS modes.

I kind of wish more "simple" lights were made. Every light these days has to have 10 different modes.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
I would really like to purchase an eb2 or defender ultra, and maybe someday I will, but the fact that they don't support 16650 turns me off. They need to get with the times as nearly every other manufacturer offers 16650/18650 compatability