Olight S1R and 16340 problems

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
so my S1R runs great on the RCR123A it came with, but the two extras I bought are giving me a headache.

As soon as I enter turbo mode, the light cuts off and wont power back up.

I need to remove the tailcap to "reset" it.

The extra batteries came in Olight packaging from a reputable dealer.

Any clues?

cumeche

Newly Enlightened
Mine just did likewise with the included battery. Never had an issue, treated it like a baby for the few days I've had it..tailcap removal fixed it, but I wonder how often this is going to happen? :-/

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Hey mate you really need high drain cells. The same happen with my Soshine 16340 i bought. But i have some Fandyfire IMR cells and they work great! The current draw is almost 3amps.

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
everytime for me. as soon as I click turbo, off it goes. only tailcap removal gets it to turn on again.

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Yes you need high drain cells. The cell that comes with the light is an IMR cell meaning it has a high discharge rate. If you want extra cells you need to replace that cell with high drain one.

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Can you take a pic for me or show me a link please?

On your battery now there is a 5C mark on the stock Olight battery from the package? Does the new batteries have this mark?

Even if they are "high drain" it may not be enough power? olight said this is a new battery they released for this light. You may be better of looking at other brands?

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Can you take a pic for me or show me a link please?

On your battery now there is a 5C mark on the stock Olight battery from the package? Does the new batteries have this mark?

Even if they are "high drain" it may not be enough power? olight said this is a new battery they released for this light. You may be better of looking at other brands?

the batteries I purchased extra do not have the 5C....found my problem I suppose.

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Yea but both those cells are IMR cells. I have the AW and the Fandyfire and the Fandyfire cells work just as well.

The Olight 16340s he bought are probably ICR and not that high discharge. I had the same issue with my standard Soshines they are only 2C rated. The problem is the standard cells are always higher capacity then the high discharge cells.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
3.7v 650 MAH high drain right out of an Olight package...

this works in S1R 900 lumens...
OlightORB-163C05.jpg

this doesn't work in S1R 900 lumens... for now...
OlightORB-163P06.jpg

As the Turbo mode for the current S1R version is drawing ~2.8A to reach 900 lumens, if your battery cannot support such high discharge rate or if you are using an aged battery, then you will either:

1. trip the protection in your battery, or
  2. S1R brightness quickly step down, meaning you won't get the Turbo 900 lumen for more than a few seconds

According to specifications, the Olight RCR123 650mAh ORB-163P06 maximum discharge current is 1500mA (but I think it supports up to ~2A discharge), due to Turbo 900 lumens is drawing beyond the limit, it trip the protection and thus you need to loosen and tighten back the tailcap for it to reset.

:D

Last edited:

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
that is exactly my problem! the top cell came with my S1R...the bottom is exactly what my "extras" are

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm...odd my new AW 750mah 16340 is just a high quality protected cell works just fine. So does my red eFest IMR...puzzling

Aggressor

Newly Enlightened
What's the battery requirements for S1R?
Does it have to be protected?
Does it have to be button top?
Thanks.

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
From looking at them they are none protected and flat tops. They just need to be high drain cells. The highest capacity you will get is about 600mah any thing over that is a lie! At least for high drain cells. The cells have to be able to do more then 3amp constantly.