Olight S15R repair help

Topher

Newly Enlightened
A collegue of mine dropped my torch into a lube oil compartment. The torch briefly worked and then died. It works intermittently for a few seconds at a time. So I'm wondering if it would be okay if I cleaned up the internals, the problem being that I can't get the bezel out. Is there a tool? Or a makeshift one that anyone cansuggest, cheers.

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Hey mate it should be fine its waterproof? If you still want to get the bezel of still try to push against a mouse paid and turn the light. Or even a shoe some thing rubber/plastic with a bit more grip. But if the light was closed shouldn't be a problem maybe just dry the tail cap the charging part. That is the only thing that could be shorting.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this may be a silly question but.... did you change the battery. A drop in lube shouldn't hurt it and only working for a few seconds sometimes (usually after a rest) is a sign of a flat battery.

Topher

Newly Enlightened
Hey mate it should be fine its waterproof? If you still want to get the bezel of still try to push against a mouse paid and turn the light. Or even a shoe some thing rubber/plastic with a bit more grip. But if the light was closed shouldn't be a problem maybe just dry the tail cap the charging part. That is the only thing that could be shorting.

I'll have a look at the tail cap first, unfortunately I left it in work and I'm away for 2 weeks. Not sure about waterproof, it was fully submerged in oil. The red light on the button came on so I first thought the battery had died, charged it and then it kept cutting out.
I'll have a go at removing the bezel that way, may there was ingress at the button.

I know this may be a silly question but.... did you change the battery. A drop in lube shouldn't hurt it and only working for a few seconds sometimes (usually after a rest) is a sign of a flat battery.
Not changed the battery as I only have one, charged it though with the same problem happening. If I cant find any ingress then I'll change the battery, see if that works.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, try giving the tailcap a thorough clean with methylated spirits/rubbing alcohol. I've had to do that to two lights and it's fixed it both times. There's a ring inside the cap that needs to be unscrewed with some pliers or tweezers but it's pretty easy. It seems like the S-R series can be a bit temperamental in the charging point. Good luck. :)

Topher

Newly Enlightened
Yes, try giving the tailcap a thorough clean with methylated spirits/rubbing alcohol. I've had to do that to two lights and it's fixed it both times. There's a ring inside the cap that needs to be unscrewed with some pliers or tweezers but it's pretty easy. It seems like the S-R series can be a bit temperamental in the charging point. Good luck. :)

that does make sense, gutted that I left it at work now. Will try asap and see if that works. I reckon it will.
Cheers people.

Topher

Newly Enlightened
You can also unscrew the button from the button retaining ring maybe have a check there but you will need tweezers.
I did not know that. Sounds fiddly but I'll crack that open too. Its either got in through the switch or where it charges but if I can unscrew the switch rather than removing the bezel, that would be easier.

Topher

Newly Enlightened
Thought I'd update you guys.
In the end I never had to take the bezel out, I started with removing the magnet with the plan on removing the bezel/switch if it didnt solve the issue.
Anyways there was a little oul within the magnet area. Cleaned it all with isopropanol and put back together. Seemed to work other than it quickly heated up and started to warm my hand nicely. So I took apart again and them put back together but put the little cylinder (the part that sits in the middle of the magnet) in the opposite way, then was all sorted.
Not sure if it does have to be that way as it does look symetrical or whether I'd not tightened the locking nut enough.
Either way its all sorted, so thank you for all of your help.

Latest posts