Looking for something with PWM & finely adjustable frequency

NizNoz

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm def a newbie when it comes to lighting in general. Been a lurker for a while, but finally have a question that I can't find an answer to by simply googling.
I collect spinning tops. And I want to film them & experiment with a strobe that is fast enough to 'freeze' then in time. Similar to using a timing light etc.
I've played around with a Photon Proton Pro flashlight but although adjusting the dimming is pretty fine, the frequency variation of the PWM it uses goes through only a few steps (visibly looks like about 4).
What im looking for is (ideally) an LED flashlight that has a variable frequency of PWM specifically. The usual 'strobe' function on eg tactical lights is too slow. I've heard of the Hexbright programmable light and imagine it may be possible with this, but I haven't seen anyone address this specifically, plus, it's discontinued.
Am I just barking up the wrong tree expecting this from a flashlight? Your input is very much appreciated!

niktak11

Newly Enlightened
Something like that would be fairly easy to make. Even a measly 8-bit timer would give you 256 different duty cycle options and the PWM frequency can be changed by changing the top and/or prescaler value

Last edited:

NizNoz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that! That sounds like an interesting project.. but I'd be stoked if there was an elegant, pre-made solution out there...

NizNoz

Newly Enlightened
Anyone? A flashlight with adjustable PWM frequency, or direction to a site that explains how I could jimmy something myself?

Last edited:

Kallyfudge

Newly Enlightened
Im equally as flashlight noob as you but work in imaging. When you say freeze in time you mean capture it once per rotation? If you are only looking to capture that on film I would suggest trying to select every nth frame from a video, or altering the sampling rate of a webcam might be easier than changing the lighting. Do you know what requency the top spins at?

Then for external lighting (not going the webcam route) I assume you would need something going at 2 times the frequency of the spinning top (for a strobe). Not sure how much I can help with creating a light to do it. Have you checked out the arduino?

NizNoz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that Kallyfudge. It's not just getting an image I'm looking for though. I love watching my tops stand still. There used to be a fully programmable LED that used arduino. Not available anymore apparently.