Gearbest entry into flashlight world production, the Zanflare F1

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast

GearBest has an entry light of their own make branded zanfare and called the zanflare f1. It's an 18650 tube light with some twists, interesting ones at that.

The information under, is from DB Customs review, and later on my personal experience with the light.

General info,

The light comes in an very high quality box, which is something rare to see in this price range, f1, a small box made just for holding the black Ti coated SS clip, a lanyard, an odd neoprene zippered case that fully encloses the light (it's a bit tough getting the f1 inside) and no orings for spares.

nSaKqS.jpg

xlkird.jpg

What is even more interesting, is that the package it self, include very well written manual, which include tons of details.

mpbnXF.jpg

Right off the top lets look at the readings… as you see above they list the output levels, here's what I get with a Samsung 30Q button top at 4.20V

0.01A for 0.414 Lumens

0.12A for 63.14

0.52A for 284.63

1.16A for 580.98, this is what they refer to as Turbo

3.46A for 1269.6, this is what they refer to as Flare.

t's important to note that Flare starts ramping down at about 30 seconds and reverts back to the lowest setting within about 5 seconds of the ramp beginning.
Also worth noting that it takes a double click of the side switch to get into Flare, and it won't stay in the memory if you turn it off. The main 4 modes will work with memory and the light comes on in any of those 4 you turn it off in.
Engaging strobe or SOS is somewhat more tricky, taking a long 3 second hold down of the side switch and again the same thing to switch it off and use the normal modes. Ugh. Since the light is turned On and Off at the tail switch, it can get a bit weird for me.

NYJy77.jpg

The finish is well done, seems pretty tough (I mean, I did get a chance to test it which you'll see directly)
See this tighter area of "spline" under the switch housing? This is a threaded ring that has 2 o-rings under it, one on each side of the micro USB charging port! Yes, it charges with the cell inside, there's a small window that lights up red when charging and green when done.

jyFC1B.jpg

This small oval window is for the lanyard, it does go all the way through and the groove allows for tail standing.

9tsTwE.jpg

The clip… possibly reversible but it would block the cover ring for the charging port. Hmmm…..

cTlDnK.jpg

Side switch is well coated, ano'd, whatever it is… it blends well with the light and has nice activation… I'll show you what's behind it directly…

vx3lnU.jpg

Have you noticed anything about all this external design?

suMqVz.jpg

t's a bit eclectic, a fairly heavy "spline" on the tail cap, then the half finished knurled spiral on the tube, followed by a different value spline on the cover ring for the charge port, and yet another value of spline on the head. Seems odd to have so many different design styles.
Some of y'all won't like this bit at all. It's glued. Seriously and heavily glued. Looks like Blue Loctite, and a lot of it! They really don't want you going in, warn against it, and it voids the warranty to do so, plainly stated. But you know, I can't do a review without showing it all, right?

vx3R8P.jpg

Multi panel driver has slots in the head to keep it from rotating, machined flats to line up the board mounted switch, all nice and solid.

oHoh9F.jpg

qU7xQC.jpg

RIrvxR.jpg

The reflector is supposedly optimized, it seems to have steps all the way up it, but the beam is pretty nice and it's made of aluminum so…

fV7Szr.jpg

There's a very elaborate machined cup that acts as insulation disc and cups the base of the reflector, pretty well done, they're trying quite hard to get this right…

ZC3Ulk.jpg

Lens is chamfered, AR coated, nice touch.

7ZuQD9.jpg

The tail cap button is actually metal, with a rubber skirt that fits snugly in a groove… tight enough it's difficult to remove so I left it intact, afraid of tearing it.

CFegCO.jpg

Mcpcb is proprietary, apparently made for GearBest or by them for this light, it's DTP and again a nice touch.

5RAVuf.jpg

This is the same tree normall in my beam shots, but from a different angle. It's trying to rain and getting late. (It's 32 yards to the tree from my front porch)

bZ7PHc.jpg

Pro's and Con's

Pro's

Premium Cree XP-L V6 emitter on a DTP copper mcpcb.

Regulated constant current circuitry

Thermal step down to protect from overheating

3.5A in Flare mode ~1250 lumens

Good beam profile, hot spot easily fills a target 50 yds away

Built in USB Charger, well protected from dirt and water

Nice pocket clip

Metal clicky button in tail cap with good seal

All actuation is firm and positive

High grade anodization

Glass breaker point in tail cap

Con's

Pocket clip is attached to tail cap, will scar up the battery tube with cell replacement (provided internal charging is not used)

Overall style is a bit eclectic

Head glued (sealed, in their words)

UI is slightly confusing, not difficult to get used to though

I don't know the price point on this light, but from the feature set and quality of construction it should compare favorably to other lights in it's class and come in at an affordable level. Will make a nice EDC with good moonlight and top tier common level, not sure I like how it steps down in thermal protection, it seems to go a bit too far and reset to moonlight instead of merely stepping down to High and then Medium if necessary. A better stepdown ramp would make the Flare mode much more useful.

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal experince with the light,

The pros,

___________________________________________________________________________________________

1. I will be a bit shallow here, but what firstly surprised me, was the quality of the packing – the box prints/material/presentation where awesome. It screamed quality to me. I know its not such an important thing, but it was really a nice change from the other lights i have seen so far.

2. The build quality of the light, no lose feel, clicking things, or anything. starting from the matching, anodizing and the buttons-feedback, are all near perfect imho, when you hold the light, you got such a nice feel and it feels like the light is in the 100$ + category, not budget light (price-wise), the buttons are very clicky and are build from sturdy materials, the back button is very strong and the feedback is really awesome, something that often is totally off on the lights in this price range – the material used from the buttons are also very good. Compared to my Jaxman E2 for example this light destroys it in terms of build quality, anodizing, buttons feedback, machining, and most importantly hotspot artifacts/rings, its much better.

3. The led tint is very nice,no greenish or bluish, or yellowish tints, pure neutral white (at least from my sample) there are no dark wholes in the hotspot as well, which is another thing i often see with the lights from this price range.

4. I also like the modes, they are decently spaced and i especially like the flare mode, which is even connected to the brand-name, which is a great idea- attention to detail imho again. Having the ability to boost to around 1250 lumens from light of this size is not very common.

5. The driver is also quite decent, and decently build i really like it.

6. The light is able to tailstand which is important to me.

7. The light comes with charging port, which is huge bonus for first time users, since they cant be bothered with chargers or spend additional funds on them, its alot more convenient this way. Its big bonus for flashlight enthusiast as well, since one more less thing to think of .

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The cons,

The only "con" i can think of its my OCD, much more then a con, namely the ring which cover the charging port, is not 100% in angle with the light tube – this is total nitpick, much more then a real or ANY problem. For now, i don't see anything other as a negative thing.

Overall im impressed for a first try, this is a very good showing! grats one more time Gearbest!
:wave:

You are welcomed to ask me anything!

Wendee

Enlightened
What, what? GearBest has their own light now? :eek: This is great news! The light looks nice!
Congratulations to GearBest for their first light! :party::clap:

The beam looks great. I wonder if they'll come out with a neutral white version. I just looked at the beam shot again. I really like it.

Would it be taboo for me to ask who manufacturer's the light? I would assume a manufacturer who puts out decent quality lights, since this one looks good quality.

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi wendee :)

This light is already in neutral white, its around 5000K from my experience with it.

Gearbest designed this light, and worked with a high quality factory to produce the light, they used high quality materials for it, you can tell when you use the light, i can confirm this the light is wonderfully build and very high quality.

hmihaylov

Newly Enlightened
Please use a "normal" font/style for future reviews. I felt like being in a bad commercial where the speaker was accenting their every word while reading this one.

Thank you

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please use a "normal" font/style for future reviews. I felt like being in a bad commercial where the speaker was accenting their every word while reading this one.

Thank you

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, however i feel that this font is easier to read, so i use it. Maybe because my eyes are not so good so bigger is mostly better :)

stephenk

Enlightened
Looks like an interesting light that ticks many boxes, and not a copy of existing lights. Also refreshing to see some instructions included. It appears that GearBest have put a lot of effort into this light's development.

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened
Hi wendee :)

This light is already in neutral white, its around 5000K from my experience with it.

Gearbest designed this light, and worked with a high quality factory to produce the light, they used high quality materials for it, you can tell when you use the light, i can confirm this the light is wonderfully build and very high quality.

That's impressive. I've never heard of a store putting out a light without going through a manufacturer. So they've started their own flashlight company, like Nitecore, Fenix, etc? I'm not sure how that works exactly but it sounds great to me!

I love the beam on this light but the tint looks a bit cool for me. The site says 6000k-6500k so I guess I'll wait for them to come out with one around 4500k. That would be awesome because the light looks like great quality.

The "flare" ramping down to firefly mode after 30 seconds is odd though, especially since it ramps down so fast (5 seconds?). I have to assume that you'd be able to see a lot for 30 seconds (1250 lumens!), then 5 seconds later be in total blackness since it ramps down to the lowest setting (0.04 lumens, as per your test?). Especially since your eyes had adapted to the 1250 lumen output, you'd be left in total darkness. I can't think of a reason why they would program it to function like that :poke:.

I'd have to try it to know for sure, but on paper it doesn't make sense to me. :thinking: Have you tried the burst/max "flare" mode out in real use (outdoors walking around in the dark), by any chance? I'm so curious to know what you think. :)

Last edited:

stephenk

Enlightened
That's impressive. I've never heard of a store putting out a light without going through a manufacturer. So they've started their own flashlight company, like Nitecore, Fenix, etc? I'm not sure how that works exactly but it sounds great to me!

I love the beam on this light but the tint looks a bit cool for me. The site says 6000k-6500k so I guess I'll wait for them to come out with one around 4500k. That would be awesome because the light looks like great quality.

The "flare" ramping down to firefly mode after 30 seconds is odd though, especially since it ramps down so fast (5 seconds?). I have to assume that you'd be able to see a lot for 30 seconds (1250 lumens!), then 5 seconds later be in total blackness since it ramps down to the lowest setting (0.04 lumens, as per your test?). Especially since your eyes had adapted to the 1250 lumen output, you'd be left in total darkness. I can't think of a reason why they would program it to function like that :poke:.

I'd have to try it to know for sure, but on paper it doesn't make sense to me. :thinking: Have you tried the burst/max "flare" mode out in real use (outdoors walking around in the dark), by any chance? I'm so curious to know what you think. :)
The flare mode is interesting. I could see it being useful for light painting photography if you want the light to reduce it's brightness remotely after a set amount of time.

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yea, know it sound like im overrating this light, but the feeling which i get from it, its similar to my Fenix TK 61, its that good, and the buttons feedback is very very good. Regarding the tint, My light is around 5000-5500K.

And i agree, 4500K is the most amazing tint i woud love 2 lights, 1x in 5500 and 1x in 4500K :)

Have not tried the flare mode in rl situations, will test it out soon :)

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
Have you actually tried to use that built in charger?
How many hrs to fully charge 3500mAh or whatever 18650 you have?

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you actually tried to use that built in charger?
How many hrs to fully charge 3500mAh or whatever 18650 you have?

Hello my friend, sadly i still havent used fully tested this function, since i used my separate charger before, but i will soon and post the results for sure :)

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
So the human interface is all metal and no rubber?

I am getting one for sure.

Even the annoying charger port cap is gone. Nice:naughty:

Last edited:

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tested the light charging function and it take around 3.5 hours to charge my 18650 Panasonic 2900 mAh.

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a new updated version of the Zanflare F1 manual, i love this light more and more everyday, its really well build and functional.

3d3830c378164585ad8c1fd95d7955ae.png

9b16f427de074d0a83a43fcbcff1f833.png

89dd656fdb2048159e9431f9b7527827.png

8ebfeec72ffd4dfebade1e0aae252ed5.png

2ac698e7218f4dec874a614c6f910aa6.png

a5e3a3ce72714912bd9e924e3a6ba6aa.png

Last edited:

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to reprot that the light is working like a champ! no issues at all even after 2 months of kinda heavy use, i dropped it few times, not even a scaf, it looks just like the day i first unbox it :)

The battery seems to last forver as well, i have tested the same cell in different lights, and this light gets at least few hours more usage on medium setting, it is really great circuit/electronics/driver i guess.

Creaghan

Newly Enlightened
I've bought one of these after seeing the reviews for my first decent torch
I'm probably over thinking this but would you suggest a protected battery or will an unprotected one do?

I've seen the Nitecore and various others like the Xtar 18650 size but I'm worried with the extra size those won't fit. The Panasonic batteries I received from amazon seemed fake so now I'm trying to be cautious.

dazed1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought one of these after seeing the reviews for my first decent torch
I'm probably over thinking this but would you suggest a protected battery or will an unprotected one do?

I've seen the Nitecore and various others like the Xtar 18650 size but I'm worried with the extra size those won't fit. The Panasonic batteries I received from amazon seemed fake so now I'm trying to be cautious.

Hello my friend, i'm using both protected and un-protected 18650 NCRB green in my F1, they are working great.