Zebralight SC600Fd Mk III Plus first impression (pic heavy)

TCY

Enlightened
Before you read this thread, please understand that I'm likely the ONLY one amongst the early adopters of this light that got a SC600Fd Mk III Plus with an unbearable tint. Many other early adopters on CPF actually got very pleasant tint on their unit. If you are interested in this light please don't let my review discourage you. The other SC600Fd Mk III Plus thread (page 30 for your convenience) :http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?414887-Zebralight-SC600Fd-III-Plus-XHP50/page30

It's official, I'm the first guy to have this light in my possession on CPF.. maybe on planet Earth?:devil:
img_1803ras79.jpg

The build quality is what you would expect from ZL. Top notch. Great Anodizing, great threads, great everything.
img_17995jsf7.jpg

img_1806fxsxb.jpg

img_1796zasmk.jpg

As you can see, this light uses a heavy OP reflector and frosted lens to smooth out the beam artifact. So don't expect it to throw.
img_1808a6s26.jpg

img_18092ls94.jpg

Thread comes pre-lubed. The lube has a dark blue color. Seems quality enough.

Beam pattern: much flood, limited throw. Unfortunately we are still playing with the ZL tint lottery here.. the unit I got has an unpleasant greenish/yellowish tint, but on turbo it is much more pleasant.
img_1792f1stk.jpg

img_1793yzs2a.jpg

img_17944ps2a.jpg

img_1795szsg2.jpg

Heat management: On turbo, this light gets hot fast. For a mere 3 seconds on turbo you could notice the body heating up.

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed about the tint. For cherry picked LEDs with 5000K CCT, there really should be no tint at all, just pure white, maybe with a creamy hint at most. I'm considering about returning mine for a replacement :mecry:

If tint problem is fixed, this would be a perfect EDC flooder. but for now, 9/10.

I'll be taking beamshots tonight. Fun time:D

Update1: some quick shots of a pink yogurt.
img_1811yxset.jpg

img_1813g8sny.jpg

Update 3: Beamshots. I'm using an ancient camera I bought back in 2009, and I'm a terrible photographer, so bear with me here.
Camera settings are f3.1 with WB set to daylight.
For the first set of "long range beamshots" shutter speed used is 1/20. For other sets shutter speeds vary, I try to make these photos to resemble what I actually see as much as I could, but there's only so much that a layman photographer can do..
img_1816mzsa1.jpg

img_1827v3se2.jpg

img_1832o4s3x.jpg

img_1849frso4.jpg

img_1861n4s0u.jpg

img_18749esx7.jpg

img_1875lqs6r.jpg

img_18866us9c.jpg

img_1892zds07.jpg

img_18983msu9.jpg

img_19041jsre.jpg

img_19082gs00.jpg

img_1912cpsis.jpg

img_19180os60.jpg

img_1923t1s6y.jpg

img_19310hso1.jpg

img_1932ifstq.jpg

img_19430ysup.jpg

img_194992sa4.jpg

img_1954lgsuo.jpg

img_1956spso4.jpg

img_196077s0l.jpg

img_1965fksna.jpg

img_1980qws8i.jpg

img_19737mshc.jpg

img_19874vsmh.jpg

img_1990fyswc.jpg

img_1996eqsv0.jpg

img_20006nsb9.jpg

img_2011ifsta.jpg

Last edited:

NICSAK

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC600Fd Mk III Plus first impression

I think the tint you describe is fairly characteristic of most xhp high cri leds from my experience. Unfortunately it seems that they all have a greenish tint to them.

TCY

Enlightened

I think the tint you describe is fairly characteristic of most xhp high cri leds from my experience. Unfortunately it seems that they all have a greenish tint to them.

That's very disappointing to know, I thought we don't have to choose between tint+CRI and brightness anymore:mecry:

NICSAK

Enlightened

I hear ya. I can't guarantee that but so far in my experience with them it's been the case. I hope I am wrong. Still congrats on the new ZL! How is it when outdoors?

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

Huh. Six pogo pins at the tailcap... How many at the positive terminal?

TCY

Enlightened

I hear ya. I can't guarantee that but so far in my experience with them it's been the case. I hope I am wrong. Still congrats on the new ZL! How is it when outdoors?

I'm going outside to take some beamshots in a couple hours time. Tint on turbo is much nicer than on rest of the levels but still has that hue.

markr6

Flashaholic

Dammit!! I expected the tint to me a non-issue...no lotto...Nichia-like. Oh well, I'll have to see mine in person to know for sure.

TCY

Enlightened

Dammit!! I expected the tint to me a non-issue...no lotto...Nichia-like. Oh well, I'll have to see mine in person to know for sure.

I thought the tint lottery is over:mecry:

markr6

Flashaholic

I was sure of it this time. Unless you are even pickier than me and overreacting :)

Still no ship notification...

mico

Newly Enlightened

Mine's shipped, due Monday! (to UK)

Using DHL and it's
currently racing another ZL sent with EMS 3 days earlier, which is
currently racing another ZL send by free post a week earlier!

markr6

Flashaholic

I notice the nice anodizing. Looks like an old SC52w I once had...almost like a hammered spray paint texture.

tops2

Enlightened

Forgot to say thanks for the picks and first impressions!

Man..it feels like the impressions I see for different XHP35/50/70 lights (that I'm interested in) may have a high chance for a greenish tint. Granted the others aren't high CRI, but may still have this problem.

If all the other Plus versions may have this tint lottery, I may just pass on this one and focus on another light cause I don't feel like playing tint lottery. Even though the Plus has a higher CRI rating than my H600Fd, its starting to feel like its redundant aside from the high turbo mode. I'm kinda curious what the H1 really looks like and how much further it can throw vs the existing "F" (flood) versions of the Zebralight headlamps. I'm also more curious between the Plus and the H600Fd at about the equivalent lumens levels. Both are high CRI (with Plus higher), both are frosted, and both are supposed to be 5000k. I'm expecting it to be about the same aside from color reproduction.

Last edited:

roger-roger

Enlightened

Thanks for your report and the great pics.

It remains to be seen whether the less than optimal yellow-green tint you mention, should be labeled a ZL tint lottery or a Cree tint lottery. I'm thinking the latter as it was posted early in the Plus' announcement, ZL's reserve on whether or not a cherry-picking process was a viable alternative for product specification.

The end results are the same of course, with buyers gaming their dollars in the pursuit of quality tint.

Last edited:

DMS1970

Enlightened

Wow - same length as SC62, that's a lot of light in a small package. At 1500 lumen it isn't earth shattering, but definitely the most compact light compared to 26650 lights running XHP 50/70.

The finish does look like a much coarser sandblast under the anodize compared to most ZL.

I love the beam on my olight S2, this should put it to shame.

Regarding the tint, you are comparing to 219B, I would think it would look a little off. Compare it to a cool white Olight and see how green it looks...

On the beam shots, the SC62 and the M43 shadow on the carpet looks pinkish. The FD looks pretty white.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

Even some pretty bad lights I've had looked OK on high. I'm really interested to see what this thing looks like in medium modes, or lower H2 modes.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm most interested to see how it compares to the H600FD sporting easywhite XML2s. It's no secret that Nichia lights are a little on the magenta side of things, so that probably makes other lights look greener than they should be, but I'm also willing to bet that even 95cri Cree LEDs don't have the deep red rendering ability of Nichia LEDs.

fnsooner

Enlightened

Thanks a bunch TCY. It is much appreciated.

What is the CCT of the Meteor you are using in the Yogurt pics?

TCY

Enlightened

I finished taking beamshots. Took me 2 hours. Although the Plus has this green+yellow tint, the higher levels look surprisingly good outside. H1 reminds me of mid-afternoon sunlight. I will need to find a good chunk of time to go thru the photos and label them, hopefully they will be available tomorrow.

I was told by ZL that the LEDs in the PLUS are not cherry picked. "Currently we use our chromaticity measuring system on the H600Fd/Fc and SC5Fd/Fc only."

@DMS1970, my carpet is grey with a hint of brown. I forgot to turn off auto WB when taking those photos lol.

It's past 3AM here in Sydney, gotta go get some sleep. Good night fellas:wave:

Latest posts