Acebeam E50 gen 2 review

narmattaru

Enlightened
Hi.
I suppose that you`ve already read this pair (1,2) of brilliant reviews
I hope that mine`ll add some useful info to them.

This review example was senе me by manufacturer

---------------------------------------------------
9c779b.jpg

• CREE XHP70 LED with a lifespan of 50,000hours
  • Max Output 3000lumens Use 1*26650 battery (included)
  • 1lm-900hours \80lm-35hours\500lm-5hours\1500lm-2hours\Turbo:3000lms, 1.5hours
  • Strobe: 1500lm 4hours;
  • Max beam 302 meters
  • Peak beam intensity 22800cd
  • Impact resistant 1.2meters
  • Waterproof: IPX-8 Standard (2meters)
  • Size:132mm (Length)*40mm (Head)*30(Tube)
  • Weight 128g (without battery)
  • Orange-peel reflector gives perfect beam and throw.
  • Digitally regulated output- maintains constant brightness
  • Side switch on the body
  • Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
  • Made of durable aircraft grade aluminium
  • Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
  • Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
  • Battery reverse protection function. And batteries low indicalion

PACKAGE
Flashlight comes into thick cardboard box. Design is simple, but attractive.
3ec849.jpg

Package includes:
EC50 with 26650 battery, lanyard, micro-usb cable, holster, manual and warranty card. There are also com small packs of silica gel.
c2c139.jpg

07e4eb.jpg

Size of E50 is almost the same size as Olight R50, just 13x4cm, which means that for stated brightness and runtime it is quite compact. Of course, it it was longthrower it would be about +2-3cms longer. But once it is flooder, reflector is shorter and so is the whole length.
0a8595.jpg

873c60.jpg

I`m sure a lot of us have Skilhunt, so there is another photo to evaluate size.
d3444d.jpg

EC50 looks good. Solid, well built light.

c2e1f7.jpg

2679dc.jpg

dc4bd8.jpg

Reflector is OP and tied to head be crown-shaped bezel. At the bottom locates XHP70. Glass is AR(you can see blue reflection on pic below)
75314c.jpg
bbcb08.jpg
b42190.jpg

d4002c.jpg

7e2fdb.jpg

Cooling ribs are deep and take about 1\3 part of flashlight length. Comparing to Acebeam , Olight R50 Seeker has almost no cooling ribs
08906b.jpg

On the opposite side we can see micro-usb charging port. Acebeam let user charge any battery, not just yours, unlike some (O)ther manufacturer do.There is also thick red o-ring at the tail.
fe09bc.jpg

Speaking about chargin, there is simplest indication – red and green.
dc8b31.jpg

4cacf3.jpg

Knurling is rhombic, medium size. As tail and head are slightly wider than middle of flashlight, grip is good.
68e7d0.jpg

Machinery is perfect, there is enough of lubrication.
203b95.jpg

e36584.jpg

11af65.jpg

14cf27.jpg

There is a thik red o-ring at the tail.

EC50 has springs both at tail and head. Also there is a hole for lanyard at the
tail.
1f0343.jpg

b072b3.jpg

Button is made of metal and moves down just a little bit – that means that flashlight can be easily turned on. Luckily there is simplest lock-out mode which will be described in UI section below.
44140e.jpg

After 10 min in turbo I measured this. That is too much to hold EC50 barehand. But I must underline that I don`t think that anyone really turns turbo on for such a long time. Turbo is turbo, just quick glance here and there and then switch to less bright level. And also that temperature means that heat dissipation works well.
b08cd9.jpg

a5ef7e.jpg

Battery supposed to be 5000mah, here is what I measured with Opus in refresh mode and with usb-tester.
ca5061.jpg

2315fd.jpg

2e1041.jpg

1.85A was the maximum current that I measured. BTW, EC50 succesfully works with flat-top batteries.
d5774a.jpg

EC50 has low voltage indicator, it blinks 3 times when voltage falls below 3.2v. Turbo is blocked here as well.

UI
Simple.
Quick press and light turns on in last used mode (except turbo).
Keeping button pressed will switch brightness in circle from low to high.
2 clicks will switch on turbo from any state.
3 clicks – strobe.
1 long press from OFF will start firefly mode.

LIVE EXAMPLES.
Here is what I measured at tail spring.
05f4fa.jpg

For reflector is OP, light is floody. I cannot see PWM shimmering in any mode.

As brightness is high, EC50 lights up a lot of space in turbo mode, even though it is not relly longthrower. In 50 meters distance everything is clear, and between 50-100 also is well lit area.
ec-beam.gif

ec-dvor.gif

ec-les.gif

Stepdown is thermal regulated, there are a perfect visualization of this in other reviews here at CPF.
Comparing again EC50 to closest rival, R50 seeker, I can say that last one has better tint, but EC500 is brighter at turbo. Btw,what about tint – I got 6000K version. I assume 5000K will look better.

At the end of video there are some live examples + speeded up work from start in turbo till total discharge.

OVERALL.
Very bright light for it`s size flooder. Brightness modes are reasonably, with instant access to turbo and firefly.
Well build and capable to charge all 26650.
UI requires getting used to. Though I cannot call it uncormfortable. That is just not the sort of ui that I prefer.

The only real disadvantage i`ve encountered here is that small round at tha tail side is liiitle bit longer that is should be. So tail stand is not that firm. Just 0.5 mm less and it would be perfect.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you for a great review!

1) Comparing the Acebeam EC50 gen ll and the Olight R50, which one is the higher quality light?

2) Does the electronic switch on either light occasionally malfunction in any way when you are choosing modes, etc.?

3) In the dark, which light has the easier to find switch?

Thank you again.

Last edited:

narmattaru

Enlightened
1) they are alsmot equal. cannot pick which one is better in matter of quality
2) i haven`t experienced any malfuntions
3) the same again.

they are almost equal.

the only serious advantage of EC50 is support of charging all 26650.
olight can charge only its own battteries.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, thank you again for your review and comparison to the Olight R50. You have been very helpful!

Remster

Newly Enlightened
Are they also equal in terms of runtime performance? I thought that the R50 could only stay on turbo for less than 5 minutes before it had to step down. Is the E50 behaving the same way or can it stay on turbo for much longer?

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
thank you for a great review!

1) Comparing the Acebeam EC50 gen ll and the Olight R50, which one is the higher quality light?

2) Does the electronic switch on either light occasionally malfunction in any way when you are choosing modes, etc.?

3) In the dark, which light has the easier to find switch?

Thank you again.

I have the R50vn and the EC60vn and can say that the Olight is definitely better build quality and a better user interface even though they are the same if that makes sense.