Nitecore HA20 review

narmattaru

Enlightened
This review example was provided by fasttech. (URL is not referral, manager asked to post this one just to evaluate popularity of product. clear URL is here )

I suppose that though a lot of people prefer 18650 powered headlamps, AA\AAA ones are still useful for these types of batteries can be bought anywhere.

This model is quite old, 2015year.
d78fc0.jpg

PACKAGE (my came crushed by delievery company)

a45b19.jpg
260152.jpg

Usual Nitecore box incudes:
Headlamp itself with headband
Batteries
Warranty card and manual
o-ring (not O actually, big rectangular one. i`m not sure about proper English word.)

e1ea0f.jpg

d353dd.jpg

HA20 is wider and shorter than usual L-shaped headlamps, but still size is ok.

It has SMO reflector with XP-G2 inside. A pair of red light LEDs sit by the both sides of it.
5ca1cc.jpg

846a61.jpg

Button is soft, clicky. Works with full and half-presses.
c216bd.jpg

HA20 body is made of solid peace of aluminium and can be taken off from plastic base.
4038a2.jpg

Angle , after being adjusted, keeps firm position.
e0034e.jpg

e017ab.jpg

Here is HA20 and Fenix HL 35,see – size almost the same. I believe that for 2xAA light there is no way to make it smaller.
0bb94b.jpg

671a43.jpg

UI
I just copied part if manual, there is nothing to add to this )
XuSWaWRBJEM.jpg

Btw. As in EC11, which I reviewed recently, red light measures voltage.
1) after inserting batteries red LEDs make 2 series of blinking. F.E. 2 and then 9 times mean 2.9V
2) in OFF user can half press buttn and get other way to evaluate rest of battery charge: 3 blinks >50%, 2<50%,1<10%.
I`d be glad to show it on photos, but in the very beginning of process of making them, HA20 fell from tripod right to concrete edge and now there is only white LED working.

LIVE EXAMPLES

Unlike EC11 mentioned above, HA20 has shown no visible PWM shimmering with pencil test.
I don't really see a reason why Nitecore made stepdown with thermocontrol. 300 lumens for headlamps of such size is not a real problem in matter of heating (imho).
As reflector is smooth, HA20 is quite longthrowing (for it`s modest 2xAA power). In turbo mode working range is about 10-15m, and 20-25 is still ok to figure out if it is chupacabra or just local hobo.
But 160 lumen is good and stable mode for most uses.
Light is white, cold. Fenix HL35 has better tint.
HA20-beamshots.gif

HA20-ogorod.gif

Camera couldn`t catch 1 lum, though it is clearly visible for eyes.
HA20-les.gif

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS.

Disadvantages I see here are: SMO reflector. I think that most people use hadlamp for work in 5-7 meters range, there OP is a chorefereable. But, again, for some situations like fishing, SMO is a choice.

what i really do not like here - stabilization. It is really worse than in Fenix HL35. But for 30$ this Nitecore HA20 seems to be a good deal.

Last edited: