Decent flashlight for a 6 year old?

Gkyle840

Newly Enlightened
I want to get my 6 year old daughter her first real flashlight. She has a couple cheap 5 lumen lights but I want to get her something nicer with a couple different modes. The requirements for this light are it must be of a soft material and fairly small, say 4.5" or less.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's anodized aluminum bodyy is not a soft material, but for around 20-25$ you could get her an L3 Illuminations L10 twisty model, available as a 4 mode (with firefly) or a 3 mode (low, med, high, no firefly) in either cool white or the high CRI neutral white Nichia 219B (High CRI, for the children!)
-with <5 minutes of patience and some marine grade heat shrink tubing, a lighter, and a razor blade, you could make the entire aluminum body become covered in bite friendly plastic.
-The L3 L10 4 mode Nichia is a phenomenal light for the price, quality, form factor, run times, and battery.
I would have Loved to have one as a youth.
-also, as a 4 mode light, with firefly, it's at least 2x-4x nicer than a mere 3 mode, besides, kids have great night vision and can really benefit from firefly mode, and they'll bother you for fresh batteries a lot less often as well.

Last edited:

LedTed

Enlightened
Have you asked your daughter her preferences? If not, you might have a fun shared experience of discovery.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Garrity Life Lite disposable flashlight.

Your probably looking for more of a light then this but it's still a good light for a young child. imo

Last edited:

Gkyle840

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I want something that's plastic/rubber because I have hardwood floors in my home and I don't want her to accidently scratch the floor. She uses my p12 quite frequently and is very responsible with it but sooner or later I'm sure it would get dropped or stepped on while on the floor. She knows how to use the different modes on it and likes playing with the strobe mode so I figured something that had high/med/low/strobe and was atleast 200-600 lumens should be good. The softer the better :)

Gkyle840

Newly Enlightened
I remember when I was really young my first light was a disposable Garrity life light. My grandparents had gotten it for me so I could see if I got up during the night when I stayed over at there house.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I want something that's plastic/rubber because I have hardwood floors in my home and I don't want her to accidently scratch the floor. She uses my p12 quite frequently and is very responsible with it but sooner or later I'm sure it would get dropped or stepped on while on the floor. She knows how to use the different modes on it and likes playing with the strobe mode so I figured something that had high/med/low/strobe and was atleast 200-600 lumens should be good. The softer the better :)
Maybe the Rayovac indestructible series.
They have a rubber bumper at each end that should protect the floors.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an acrylic P60 host from Oveready. Not cheap, but plastic and very groovy. You can then pick a drop in that suits.
P

acrilic.jpg

Attachments

• acrilic.jpg
    acrilic.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Gkyle840

Newly Enlightened
The impact xl, g2x pro and the rayovac look really good as far as the rubber coating go but I don't see a strobe on them. The acrylic p60 would fit her perfectly as she would love the colors. It is just a good bit more than I have to spend currently.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight PolyTac have a program system where you start from factory with high/strobe/low, or you half press nine times, hold #10 and it switches to high only. Do that again and it changes to a low/high setup. They run about $35 online and come in various colors.
Nice little flashlights.

FDP

Newly Enlightened
I'm watching this with interest. Also want to get my 2 children their own first flashlights. My considerations are not too small to grip properly, not too bright, and maybe a clickly. I think a twist to turn on/off will result in too many lost parts.

Currently looking at the Fenix E10 or Mini mag - led or incan (I know not clicky).

Gkyle840

Newly Enlightened
The polytac looks almost perfect. I have not really considered batteries but is there something like the polytac that uses AA, AAA or 18650's?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
The issue is modes and kids using the light unsupervised. I think a one button action on and off is fine. Maybe even a twisty maglite mini? About $15. Ask her what her favorite color is, they have the minis in pink and other colors I believe. AA size for common cells a plenty.

2u5xf08.jpg

Heck, I think even a classic rayovac might even work for that "going exploring!" feel.

2lj2lo4.jpg

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Although it's $20., the Lumintop Tool, a clicky, might be fun, & for a child, I'd put it on a lanyard.

The Fenix E01 might also do the trick.