Lights that use 1 x CR123a and have a one inch diameter body? 3P Clone

I know there was a similar thread a while back (I posted in it!) but now I can't find it. I am looking at buying or building basically a Surefire 3P clone. Short version- my brother has a new AR and wants a WML on it (basically he's setting his up like mine). He wants bright and a CR123a battery but he also wants it to be small. Despite my explaining to him that the size of a 2 x CR123a is never going cause problems he "just doesn't like the way it looks".:shakehead Right now he's borrowing my JETBeam BC10 but it's not ideal since most light mounts are designed around 1" diameter bodies. For the time being I suggested a wrap of bike intertube around the light to shim it and that actually works pretty well. But I'd like to get him set up with something a bit neater and more professional (and that won't slide out at the worst possible moments).

Oh, did I mention he's a cheapskate? I suggested an Elzetta Alpha/CQB but he snorted at the thought of spending over $100 on a light!:faint: Even one that might save his life.:ohgeez:

A clone of a Surefire 3P would actually be ideal. I realize that actual 3P's are pretty hard to find and expensive when they do turn up. Poking around at Oveready it seems like one could build one that takes a standard dropin but I can't figure out what parts would be needed.:eek:

Thanks!lovecpf

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a solarforce L2m. You can get the body for less than 15 dollars and that leaves you a bunch left over for a drop in.

ven

Flashaholic
How about the solarforce L2M which is 18350 size and has the extension for 18650 if/when he might want extra run time.

ven

Flashaholic
Beat me as I was searching for a pic , photobucket is still playing up on my phone !

Isn't the LM2 sized for 2 x CR123a? For some crazy reason he won't go for a light that long even though the rifle is 40" itself. Can you get it set up sized for just one x CR123a? He'd probably accept buying a Malkoff M31 if the host was cheap.

Last edited:
Okay, I just ordered an LM2, the short tube/extension and a SF lamp assembly that's operable from 0.8v-4.2v. I probably should have waited for more info but it was fairly cheap and I got impatient!:crackup:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had good luck with the solarforce stuff. You can run Malkoff drop ins as and they become nice lights.