Looking for Rechargeable Weapon Light

rjohnson

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I have been looking for a weapon light for my AR. I would prefer rechargeable as an option, but also primary cells. These are a few I'm considering:

-Steiner MK5
-Elzetta Bravo (bored from Oveready)
-Surefire Peacekeeper (can't find much on if it's weapon rated)
-Malkoff (recommend me a model)

Any thoughts on these? The MK5 is appealing due to its long range, but I can't find many reviews on it. I am open to about anything, but would like 500+ lumen and decent range. Also interested in other lights but would like US made (rest of the gun has all US parts besides the Aimpoint).

Thanks,
Richard

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know nothing about gun lights, so can only tell you that my Malkoff lights are seriously tough. Maybe an MD2 with an M61HOT which will give you 500Lm good throw and spill. Presumably you need a thin head or I'd say get a 18650 Hound Dog, which is my favourite nightime light.
After reading your post I went on the Elzetta site, I think it's time I got one or two.
The AVS Bravo looks tempting and you can swap from flood to throw for little extra cost.
Anyway, Malkoff and Elzetta are the bombproof lights. No bells and whistles (how I like it) just reliable lighting.
Thanks for the post, it's started my brain whirring.
P

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steiner has a solid reputation in the optics realm, but I had no idea they make flashlights. It would probably be a good light, but I'm not going to recommend it over lights that I've personally attached to rifles.

The Elzetta Bravo, with AVS High Output head is an outstanding option....if it's not too large. The Steiner's size leads me to believe that it would be acceptable. The AVS head works really well. There's an Oveready bored Charlie with one on the table next to me right now. My primary range bag has a Bravo and a Charlie, both with AVS heads. The central spot throws almost as far as a Malkoff Wildcat, with a bright and pretty large 2nd zone of light outside of it. The optic eliminates the sharp cutoff between lit and not lit, which eliminates potential distraction. Speaking of optics, the optional flood optic is awesome. I've got an AVS with it as my primary bedroom pistol light, and it really lights up a room. I don't currently have any Elzettas hanging off of ARs, because of the next option.

If you'd like to positively illuminate an object/person at 75 yards without excess bulk, the Malkoff MD2 with HOT head is a great option. I've got both MD2/HOT and MD2/T (the original XP-E2 version) mounted onto ARs right now. I do not expect them to be replaced by anything within the next year or longer. The current HOT generates much more spill light than the original M61T, but the T puts more light onto the target.

If you'd like to reduce the size from the above, you may be able to pick up a Surefire KE2-A head for a reasonable price (anything under $200 would suffice), screw it onto any Surefire E2 body, and placed it into your choice of mounts. While waiting for the KE2-A to be released, I bought a Malkoff E2/Scout head for a Viking Tactics L4 body and Z68 tailcap combo, and was very satisfied with the performance. Once the KE2-A arrived, the E2 was moved to a pistol case, the the KE2-A took permanent residence on my 6.8 SPC primary home defense AR.

While I haven't beat on one yet, Malkoff's E2T head on your choice of E2 bodies should be considered. It won't throw as well as the KE2-A or have have as much spill as the M61 HOT, but it's smaller/lighter than an M61 HOT and much less expensive than a KE2-A.

The MD2 and Elzetta Bravo, with MD2 engines, have been proven to work, but their high/low ability isn't needed (IMHO) on a weapon, so I don't personally use them, choosing a less expensive, but rugged alternative. My remaining weapon lights are Surefire 6Ps with Malkoff M61s. They're absolutely reliable, but don't have the reach of the above. I actually ran a Malkoff Hound Dog screwed onto an MD3 attached to a 7.62X51 large frame AR for a few years. If weight isn't an issue, it'll get the job done for sure.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ouch...the rechargeable option is going to be a tough one to find. This is going on an AR? ....all I can really add here is Ive had the first Fenix TK32 bolted to my Mossberg 590A1 with pressure pad for awhile and have not had a single hiccup. TK32 has some serious range and power modes on it...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta doesn't recommend it for serious usage (neither do I), but an AVS head runs really well from an 18650. The output is around 500 lumens, and run time is very long. The flashlightguide.com review indicates that after 160 minutes, the output as dropped to 50%. When fed by two AW 18350s, the head thinks it's got three partially depleted primaries, and goes into Charlie mode. Jim reports run time in this config to be 30 minutes.

The M61HOT runs happily from a single 18650, but not from two 18350s. Before I hung it on an AR, I used an 18650 with it. The M61T's input range is 3.4 to 9 volts, so it'll work fine with two 18350s. The M61 also works fine with two 18350s, but I run mine (that aren't on weapons) with 18650s.

The E2T is specified with a voltage range of 3.4 to 9 volts. The couple years I owned it, I ran my E2D LED Ultra from two RCR123s without drama, so my guess is that the KE2-A would act the same.

.....and:welcome:.

Last edited:

irongate

Enlightened
Hi. I have been looking for a weapon light for my AR. I would prefer rechargeable as an option, but also primary cells. These are a few I'm considering:

-Steiner MK5
-Elzetta Bravo (bored from Oveready)
-Surefire Peacekeeper (can't find much on if it's weapon rated)
-Malkoff (recommend me a model)

Any thoughts on these? The MK5 is appealing due to its long range, but I can't find many reviews on it. I am open to about anything, but would like 500+ lumen and decent range. Also interested in other lights but would like US made (rest of the gun has all US parts besides the Aimpoint).

Thanks,
Richard

What are you going to use your AR for? Home Defense, Hog hunting, Coyote, this would helps us a bit more as far as spot or flood and do you live in a open area or in lots of trees.

rjohnson

Newly Enlightened
Well, thanks guys. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Malkoff Hound Dog like some of you mentioned. My primary use would probably be outdoor varmint (raccoons, possums, coyotes, etc) so the lumen rating and throw of the Hound Dog is really enticing. I know the weight and size scares some people, but I don't intend to hike long distances, etc, plus I have a good Vickers strap.

I might also use the gun for home defense, which is why I wanted the light to be able to accept primaries too. It will be interesting to see if the Malkoff reflects off walls too much, in which case I might have to try a Malkoff engine on a Surefire host or something similar, like has been mentioned. Thanks for the warm welcome to CPF, I have been lurking here for a while and am excited to expand my flashlight collection.:thumbsup: