What's your Dream pistol-light?

TacMatt

Newly Enlightened
I know there are a lot of on-sale/available pistol lights like Surefire, Streamlight. I'm thinking these pistol light are either too over price or not perfect enough.

I said if we have a chance to built a brand new pistol light, what's the key feature should/shouldn't add on the light? I am thinking post a poll but too many options, please forgive me)

1. Mount
a. Rapid attachment/detachment mount. b. Thumbscrew rail clamp. c. Swing lever clamp d. I have a better idea!

2. Battery
a. MUST 2x CR123A. b. 1x CR123 is enough. c. I like AA/AAA batteries d. Let's go to a different way using 18650! e. Custom-built Li-ion battery with USB charging cable. f. I have a better idea!

3. LED
a. XM-L2 with 1000-lumen! b. XP-G2 with 500 lumen is enough. c. I need warm-light in dusty and smoke area. d. Old school said we only need 200 lumen! e. Wait, I have a better idea!

4. Light-cup
a. I want it big and deep! b. It should be small and wide. c. TIR is needed! d. I have a better idea!

5. Switches
a. Press switches on both side! b. Rotate switches! c. I have a better idea!

6. Laser Aiming device
a. I need it! b. I don't like it. c. I want it to be detachable. d. I know something better!

7. Special function
a. I need strobe function in mission! b. I don't want any function on pistol light. c. Selectable brightness like 200/800 lumens. d. I have a better idea!

8. Acceptable price.
a. $40 will be must-buy. b. $50 will try it. c. $60 will be acceptable d. Low price will ruin the market! e. I have a better idea!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
$40? Seriously?

These throw as far as Dirty Harry can shoot a fly with his 44 cannon, but they aint $40 that's for sure.

I do not believe a 'serious' market will be ruined by $60 mounters, but the tacti-cool crowd will buy them.

Last edited:

TacMatt

Newly Enlightened
I don't feel lucky but in some occasion I might be able to make a light around $40

$40? Seriously?

These throw as far as Dirty Harry can shoot a fly with his 44 cannon, but they aint $40 that's for sure.

I do not believe a 'serious' market will be ruined by $60 mounters, but the tacti-cool crowd will buy them.

TacMatt

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad that you bring up Olight, I don't know if you have ever try it out before, I have try it twice. The biggest problem on Olight Valktrie is that you don't know what they thinking when making a pistol light. All the functions how you gotta use it how it works, you have absolutely no idea. I think they(olight) make it just for fun.

the Olight Valkyrie built out of higher quality materials...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there are a lot of on-sale/available pistol lights like Surefire, Streamlight. I'm thinking these pistol light are either too over price or not perfect enough.

I said if we have a chance to built a brand new pistol light, what's the key feature should/shouldn't add on the light? I am thinking post a poll but too many options, please forgive me)

1. Mount
c. Swing lever clamp

2. Battery
a. MUST 2x CR123A

3. LED
b. XP-G2 with 500 lumen is enough, preferably neutral

4. Light-cup
b. It should be small and wide.

5. Switches
I don't know, but it needs to work reliably

6. Laser Aiming device
b. I don't like it. KISS

7. Special function
Again....KISS

8. Acceptable price.
If I'm going to rely on it to help keep me alive, and it's an outstanding solution, $150 isn't unreasonable.

In my mind the Inforce APL is virtually perfect. I can't imagine how it could be improved much with present technology. The mount is fantastic and the switch is utterly brilliant. If there's any area where it could be improved that might be regulation; it tends to output full power until the battery is very close to dead. You don't have a whole lot of warning before it goes dark. Still, it's a serious WML for serious purposes, so I just learned to keep the battery fresh.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I use a laser. Do you really want the perp to see you? Maybe I don't know everything not sure. Hopefully I am never in that situation anyways. However with the laser I can hit the target dead on in pitch black. Maybe LEO or MIL have some other use for the light. Like not shoot the wrong target I guess. Forgive me if I am clueless, not my big thing.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really just have to spend more money for a proper weapon light. At that price point there isn't much out there, maybe bump up to $100 and look around on ebay.

roger-roger

Enlightened
In my mind the Inforce APL is virtually perfect. I can't imagine how it could be improved much with present technology. The mount is fantastic and the switch is utterly brilliant. If there's any area where it could be improved that might be regulation; it tends to output full power until the battery is very close to dead. You don't have a whole lot of warning before it goes dark. Still, it's a serious WML for serious purposes, so I just learned to keep the battery fresh.

Been looking for a replacement for my Insight XTi Procyon. Very disappointed in the negative reviews on the Surefire XC1, which seemed ideal for my needs.

In terms size The Inforce APL sits at the top of the list, although the idea of its the side-press switches throw me off. Not that I've actually held or used one, but thats probably the only way to find out. Whatever I choose it'll be a dedicated design from an established maker.

Been looking for a replacement for my Insight XTi Procyon. Very disappointed in the negative reviews on the Surefire XC1, which seemed ideal for my needs.

In terms size The Inforce APL sits at the top of the list, although the idea of its the side-press switches throw me off. Not that I've actually held or used one, but thats probably the only way to find out. Whatever I choose it'll be a dedicated design from an established maker.

I've found the switch to be better than the type used by Surefire and Streamlight. The paddle is angled a bit and is activated with a natural motion by your thumb or forefinger. I used to use a Surefire X300 Ultra but I retired it when got the APL. I've also got an Inforce WML on my carbine.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've found the switch to be better than the type used by Surefire and Streamlight. The paddle is angled a bit and is activated with a natural motion by your thumb or forefinger. I used to use a Surefire X300 Ultra but I retired it when got the APL. I've also got an Inforce WML on my carbine.

At a buck 25 that one sure seems like quite the value. Once my budget recovers from a recent binge that one will be on my list.

PK is working on one but being a 500+ lumen thrower has rifles in mind. Yet it'll be small enough to be used for pistols.

Yeah, it's a very good value. I actually got mine for $99 as a special edition that's co-branded with the ARES logo. Mine has been totally solid, completely reliable and as a bonus the tint is very good. A bit cool but that's a trait of nearly every tactical/weapon light. Subjectively though it's pretty white. The paddle switch is great and the bezel will lock out the switch for storage or transport.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah, it's a very good value. I actually got mine for $99 as a special edition that's co-branded with the ARES logo. Mine has been totally solid, completely reliable and as a bonus the tint is very good. A bit cool but that's a trait of nearly every tactical/weapon light. Subjectively though it's pretty white. The paddle switch is great and the bezel will lock out the switch for storage or transport.
(Don Adams Maxwell Smart voice)
The ole 'bezel locks out the switch' trick, huh?
(End Don Adams Maxwell Smart voice)

(Begin Steve Carol Maxwell Smart just passed the spy test voice)
AAAWWWWSSSOOOOME!!!

Yeah, I like white beam'd weapon lights. Adds a sense of confidence the bad guy is see-ing blue spots about right now.

Last edited:

TacMatt

Newly Enlightened
KISS is a very good point, however I'm still think about the quick mount, swing lever clamp like ARMS quick release mount are patented.

TacMatt

Newly Enlightened
Don't you think the level press switches on APL will affect the precision? And a small power warning light seems to be another important features to add! :)

TacMatt

Newly Enlightened
I know lots of LEO like laser aiming device, red/green laser with strobe like steamlights. More accuracy in the dark.

I use a laser. Do you really want the perp to see you? Maybe I don't know everything not sure. Hopefully I am never in that situation anyways. However with the laser I can hit the target dead on in pitch black. Maybe LEO or MIL have some other use for the light. Like not shoot the wrong target I guess. Forgive me if I am clueless, not my big thing.

TacMatt

Newly Enlightened
That's true about the XC1, very attractive appearance but suck in field experience.

TacMatt

Newly Enlightened
lol

(Don Adams Maxwell Smart voice)
The ole 'bezel locks out the switch' trick, huh?
(End Don Adams Maxwell Smart voice)

(Begin Steve Carol Maxwell Smart just passed the spy test voice)
AAAWWWWSSSOOOOME!!!

Yeah, I like white beam'd weapon lights. Adds a sense of confidence the bad guy is see-ing blue spots about right now.

Don't you think the level press switches on APL will affect the precision? And a small power warning light seems to be another important features to add! :)

I don't think you need a power led- you can tell when the light is on.:devil: I think the switch is ideal. How would you use a switch? Only a light press is required, and it should be noted that pressing any button on a light attached to a firearm could move that firearm slightly. Ideally you're not pressing the ON button and the trigger simultaneously; I can't think of any situation where you'd do it that way. I can say I've used it extensively at the range and drilled with it at home (unloaded firearm) and it has worked well.