What led searchlight is actually useful for it designed purpose

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
I am a professional firefighter for the last 21 years and use multiple lights for real world applications where my emergencies last more than 3 minutes. I have used a xeray 75 watt Barnburner burner hid for the last 10 years and sold it replace it with the xevision lx70, but when the $2500 price tag came out it made me pause. I use fenix flashlights on my fire helmet, (2) uc 35 and (1) hl60, all plug in rechargeable. These have worked well and the plug in feature has become a must as we have no time to swap batteries when we get back from a call, just plug in to top off the lights.
I have been considering a led searchlight replacement for my big light but three things are a must. First the light must have a large spill but yet reach as well. Most leds I see are one or the other, flood or spot. But the second "must" is a long runtime at high level >4000 lumen for at least an hour. Most led lights, manufacturer or modded suffer from heat step down after only a couple minutes. The third is a plug in rechargeable feature due to the nature of its use, sometime a little and other times a much longer period but it must aways be max charged and available. I have really considered the Fenix rc40 2016 but am keeping my options open. I have looked at the very nice modded lights by vinh but it always comes down to use ability. Size isn't an issue, performance is. Is there any led available, stock or modded that meets my needs. Otherwise probably gonna step up for the xevision hid light or try an rc40 2016 as it is relatively cheap in comparison. The hid, while throwing a mile, or at least a half mile literally, has impressive spill and runs an hour at its insane output level. I know it costs several times more than the leds I have seen, but performance is a must. Any other options out there I have missed???

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the issue: Quote: "First the light must have a large spill but yet reach as well. Most leds I see are one or the other, flood or spot."

If large size is ok, along with plug in rechargeable, then runtime and heat management are much less of a problem. The next step is to get large, usable, un-dim spill and reach at the same time, from the large diameter head.

I do not think you have missed any other current option. Fenix RC 40 2016 is probably your best bet for led light for best throw and spill power. The future Acebeam X65 looks interesting. Maybe you can email Vinh54 and see what he thinks.

Because you have oodles of real world experience, what you decide on will be a very good choice to solve the question posed by your topic title. Please let us know what you have chosen. Basically, what you tell us, who have little to none such experience, will be very valuable. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Not tested the full run time, but choosing the 10a 3500mah option on the rc40vnT should see you right for 10,500mah, close to 8000lm and 500kcd. Very nicely made, mine is 5000k so i get to see accurate colours in the spill/throw

I love the size/weight and ability to kick out very impressive light without heat becoming an issue quick.

Cant comment on the HID options, i know they kick a55 though and will out perform LED in throw.

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
Not tested the full run time, but choosing the 10a 3500mah option on the rc40vnT should see you right for 10,500mah, close to 8000lm and 500kcd. Very nicely made, mine is 5000k so i get to see accurate colours in the spill/throw

I love the size/weight and ability to kick out very impressive light without heat becoming an issue quick.

Cant comment on the HID options, i know they kick a55 though and will out perform LED in throw.

I saw your light earlier and vinh's videos on it. I emailed him but haven't heard back from him. I am curious on the modded throw version if the light steps down automatically or if it is manual as he uses his proprietary driver. My concern with his mod is the step down. I believe the rc40 2016 steps down from 6000 lumen to around 4000 after about 20 minutes. With vinh's driver pumping up the lumens up even more wouldn't it step down even faster, and if it does what lumen level does it step down to?? The new 9000 lumen olight x7 marauder steps down after 3 minutes to 1800 lumens. Vinh recommended his modded thrunite 40 but hasn't responded to my request for runtime at max output before step-down happens or is required. This information is crucial in determining usability.
The xeray 75 hid I used was very useful for some jobs but could not be used for others as it could not be dialed down and had real capability of doing optical damage to somebody if shined directly into someone's eyes anything short of 100 yards away. It would burn newspaper a foot away from it, not bragging, just what it could do. The new xevision lx70 has a larger, deeper lens and is even more focused with less spill, so it is even more of a dedicated thrower than before so it has less cross-over use than my prior hid light.
This why is was looking at more of crossover light that could be dialed down and be used on all calls and live in my truck 24/7 as an everyday flashlight. I know some may cringe at scuffing up a light that costs north of $375 (RC40 unmodded) but everything I own has to earn it's keep.
If you have any runtime or more info on vinh's modded rc40 it would be appreciated.

ven

Flashaholic
I have not used the 100% mode for much over 10m (never timed it ) and it held it to my eyes(set to 20m ). It gets quite warm but not too hot ,I have used it on 30% which I guess around 2000-2500lm and only gets luke warm . As it has drivervnx2 instead of the Fenix driver, so you can tweak or even turn off the timer. I asked vinh about extra heat sinking in the light, his reply was Fenix is good enough as it is!

Quick search I found this,20m default and can disable it if want. Then use your hand as the guide. If your wearing gloves then maybe a timer would be safer(for the light) long term.
Configure the turbo timer
Enter config menu by 8 (or more) fast taps, wait for the blinking signal, then enter turbo config mode by the according number of taps (see mode list). The light then runs at full power. Let it run for the desired time (e.g. until it gets hot; use a full battery), then tap to switch off. That time is now set for the turbo timer. Setting a time below 4 seconds disables it. The turbo timer has a maximum of ~20 minutes (this is also the default). It applies to all modes above 50% and smoothly ramps them down to 50%.

http://skylumen.com/pages/drivervn-drivervnx-programmable-circuits

snakyjake

Enlightened
I've been looking at the EagleTac. I also want a light with a up/down output adjustment, not mode cycling.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Won't reccomend a particular light here but will say looking at candela numbers will indicate how well the beam throws or in your case will cut through smoke without blinding you. Higher numbers will indicate more throw given the same lumen output numbers.

Say 415 lumens... 9500 cd at 1 meter is a better thrower than one stating 6500 cd at 1 meter.

Kallyfudge

Newly Enlightened
Although I am fairly new to this, if you are having a large flashlight usb recharged you might want to consider how long it would take to top it up.

E.G. The Olight X7 (when fan cooled so no use to you) can go for 55Min over 4K lumen, in the case it was USB rechargeable it would take hours to recharge, and be no use to you if you needed it again after a long callout.

Have you considered buying multiple lights to open up the possibility of swapping batteries? Then you always have one fully charged ready to go. if you are called out whilst changing batteries on one, use your backup one.

It seems plausible price-wise given the prices you mentioned for other lights.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't reccomend a particular light here but will say looking at candela numbers will indicate how well the beam throws or in your case will cut through smoke without blinding you. Higher numbers will indicate more throw given the same lumen output numbers.

Say 415 lumens... 9500 cd at 1 meter is a better thrower than one stating 6500 cd at 1 meter.
I think he gets that part.

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
I chose the factory Fenix RC40 due in large part to it long runtime without overheating at high lumens. It will be my work light for the fire station and our farm. It seem due to heat generation that the current high output led lights have passed the point of long run functionality versus higher output. I don't think the led lights will continue to improve in this area until they find a way to decrease the amount of heat the leds generate to start with. In other words the creation of a cool led thermally.
I realize most people on this part of the forum are really into led lights, and yes, I like them too, but they do have their place and do have serious limitations. Just so you all realize those I will post the big specs on my favorite hid light the Xevision LX-70. It has 7500 lumen, a 100 min runtime at that high level. A 2300 meter throw, 1 degree center beam, with 15 degree spill beam illuminating a huge area. It is 50 meter waterproof also. I totally realize it is over $2500 but my point is to show what is possible with hid is not possible with led at least not for the foreseeable future.

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
I chose the factory Fenix RC40 due in large part to it long runtime without overheating at high lumens. It will be my work light for the fire station and our farm. It seem due to heat generation that the current high output led lights have passed the point of long run functionality versus higher output. I don't think the led lights will continue to improve in this area until they find a way to decrease the amount of heat the leds generate to start with. In other words the creation of a cool led thermally.
I realize most people on this part of the forum are really into led lights, and yes, I like them too, but they do have their place and do have serious limitations. Just so you all realize those I will post the big specs on my favorite hid light the Xevision LX-70. It has 7500 lumen, a 100 min runtime at that high level. A 2300 meter throw, 1 degree center beam, with 15 degree spill beam illuminating a huge area. It is 50 meter waterproof also. I totally realize it is over $2500 but my point is to show what is possible with hid is not possible with led at least not for the foreseeable future.

I do want you to note that it is 7500 lumen out of a thrower light and not a dedicated flood light where we see those high lumens levels leds. I love leds and have several. I will still save my pennies and buy an lx70 to go with my rc40. I just needed a good all around light for everyday and the rc40 fit the bill for me.

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
I do want thank all those that posted here on their helpful input and a special thanks to Vinh for his response to my emails, (I still love your creations a ton!).

niktak11

Newly Enlightened
LEDs are more efficient than HIDs. The only reason that the lights you were looking at can't maintain their maximum output for the full runtime is because most people don't need the maximum output for that long so increasing the mass enough to increase the heat dissipation is unnecessarily increasing the size/mass and price of the light which will hurt their sales. The light you mentioned is 4.35lbs. A properly designed LED light with that amount of mass could sustain 7500 lumens with ease

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
LEDs are more efficient than HIDs. The only reason that the lights you were looking at can't maintain their maximum output for the full runtime is because most people don't need the maximum output for that long so increasing the mass enough to increase the heat dissipation is unnecessarily increasing the size/mass and price of the light which will hurt their sales. The light you mentioned is 4.35lbs. A properly designed LED light with that amount of mass could sustain 7500 lumens with ease

But could any led even, with a radiator attached to it, be able to throw 7500 lumens 2300 meters and still have a large beam and spill. I think by the very nature of the led being a light source from "flat" at the back of the reflector it is somewhat stuck to be either a throw beam our a flood beam. I think it is alot more difficult to create a combo with led or to create a 2300 meter thrower without it being a very tight pencil beam. Just as I think the hid is great at searchlight use age it cannot be tamed easily as it is always full power or close to it. My last hid had a reflector that could be turned from spot to flood. This worked but it was still ark welder bright and washed out everything close by. I just think that the hid will always be the "Longball option" and the leds will dominate everything shorter.

easilyled

Flashaholic
But could any led even, with a radiator attached to it, be able to throw 7500 lumens 2300 meters and still have a large beam and spill. I think by the very nature of the led being a light source from "flat" at the back of the reflector it is somewhat stuck to be either a throw beam our a flood beam. I think it is alot more difficult to create a combo with led or to create a 2300 meter thrower without it being a very tight pencil beam. Just as I think the hid is great at searchlight use age it cannot be tamed easily as it is always full power or close to it. My last hid had a reflector that could be turned from spot to flood. This worked but it was still ark welder bright and washed out everything close by. I just think that the hid will always be the "Longball option" and the leds will dominate everything shorter.

Probably not.

I think it would be interesting to see what an Olight SR90 modified with an XHP70 could do though. The SR90s were the first real led lights to start encroaching into the weaker HID light's territory by virtue of a huge reflector and the SST90 led.

The XHP70 is much more efficient and much more powerful than the SST90, so I think it could be quite spectacular in a light of the size of the SR90. I very much doubt that it would throw as much as 2300 metres though.