UPS vs PRIORITY

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time I order a light and it is sent UPS (ground) it takes forever. When it comes Priority it is here in three days. Even first class seem a lot faster. Am I just having bad luck?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also had exactly the same
results...
For on-line orders, where there
is a "comment" box, I always ask
if it can be sent by Priority Mail-which gets it here quicker than "scat". :-D

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
Hey
Let's keep in mind that BASIC UPS is ground-based (you know, the little brown trucks)

Priority mail on the otherhand is GROUND/AIR. So it would be a more even comparision for UPS vs. Parcel Post.

I like Priority too. Dollar for Dollar it seems to be the fastest for the buck.

Doug

Enlightened
For me, if the store is in the same state, UPS is FAR faster! UPS takes *1* day in state, but priority mail still takes 3-4 days, IN STATE!

Doug

Bucky

Enlightened
My experience has always been that USPS is faster AND cheaper. I guess I am somewhat influenced by the fact that UPS lost my order from Botach, which has caused endless headaches
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Bucky

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Us Alaska residents get the royal screwjob when it comes to shipping. All these companies offering free shipping completely cop out when it comes to Alaska (UPS does not offer ground to Alaska, They do offer ground from Alaska FIGURE THAT OUT!!) and businesses are few and far between that even offer USPS priority mail (which is cheap and relatively fast). So many times Im stuck paying 20 bucks or more for second day air (sometimes more than my order!!!!)

Thanks for letting me rage a little ...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Hey Alaska dude... you're not the only one who's pissed about UPS.

This is (was) a brand new flashlight that came via USP yesterday morning:

crunch1.jpg

FYI I'm also from Alaska, but have since moved to a slightly warmer and drier climate.
smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is (was) a brand new flashlight that came via USP yesterday morning

Did it survive?

Maybe the UPS guy had heard about your web site and wanted to help you out with the "testing"
grin.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Overseas isn`t fun either though! Not only does it almost always cost the same as the item bought if not more for shipping, but it can sometimes take a few weeks even by Airmail (Surface? Months!!) and you should see the state some boxes arrive here in!

Thankfully though the precious fragile contents (see antique bulbs page of my site) are usually in one piece.
smile.gif

axolotls

Enlightened
UPS is definitely thumbs down!!

They routinely promise delivery on a certain day then when I wait all day and night for it, the packages never arrives.

Check the website around 10pm and it says rescheduled. This has happened many times. Lazy drivers.

I live way out nowhere, so USPS takes a day longer than if I lived in town. But still USPS is cheaper, more reliable, and have regular delivery on Saturdays.

Priority varies from one day to five days. In comparison UPS (same destination and origin) takes three to seven days.

I would even take Airborne Express over UPS (and I have had a bad incident with AE in the past!)

Take my nickel and give me three cents back.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
FYI I'm also from Alaska, but have since moved to a slightly warmer and drier climate.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Would you happen to be from Juneau?

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
You might look at Fed Ex also they are apparently getting into the ground delivery market. I was looking at the website a few days ago and the prices seemed to be lower than UPS for the delivery areas I was looking at. Can't say how the ground service is since I have yet to try it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
Originally posted by telephony:
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Would you happen to be from Juneau?

Yes, but... how could you possibly know that?
Do you know someone up there that may have once known me?
Did the laser beams and pulse lasers darting into the night sky set something off?
Or did you find one of my old boomboxes with LED mods to the speakers?
blush.gif

BKO

Newly Enlightened
AHH,shipping & Alaska...Two things I have
much experiance with!!

For you Alaskan`s/AKwormy & previous Alaskan`s,,,..You probably realise the necesity of "mail order" "not in stock"--"but can be ordered" etc....

I have had "Priority mail.insured" shiped from the east coast (fr.MR.F)..sorry I don`t
have any approval too expliot/approve!!) his
shop}.Too Interior Alaska,Fairbanks,Three-four day`s max..very quick..Nice...

Ive done FED-EX & UPS,No problems except
exspense--both are consideratly more expensive than USPS--And not much faster.

Akwormy: talk to Bill @ "Great Guns" on--
Old Seward--good SF distributer..

David & Craig..You guy`s are from Alaska??

I did alot of work for Temsco,in Ketchican,& Juneau..

Lot`s of info avail,E-mail if neccessary.

RGDS.,...Bill

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
Yes, but... how could you possibly know that?
Do you know someone up there that may have once known me?
Did the laser beams and pulse lasers darting into the night sky set something off?
Or did you find one of my old boomboxes with LED mods to the speakers?
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I know you. I grew up in Juneau. As soon as you said "...slightly warmer and drier climate" I remembered you.

Alaska and shipping. I think that's under "terminal frustration" in the dictionary.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
I think I know you. I grew up in Juneau. As soon as you said "...slightly warmer and drier climate" I remembered you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm... time to fire up the 'ol Sherlock Holmes pipe (stinky
blush.gif
) and see if I can figure this out.

I knew a number of Davids up there.
Let's see if we can narrow this down a bit...
Here are some clues for memory jogging purposes:

o Drinking parties behind the Super Bear.
o Keggers at Auke Rec and/or Eagle Beach.
o Keggers at Skater's Cabin.
o Commodore computer user group by the airport.
o Pizza joint off Willoughby (forgot the name) across from the S.O.B.
o P.J.'s game room (good at Tempest coin op, world record on Looping coin op)
o The Grant's house on Nowell Ave (experiments with furnace transformers).
o Norm's Video Palace - I ran the joint for a while, and at two locations. Also got a world record on the Star Trek coin op.
o Norm's Vending - did the route for them too.
o Game room in the Nugget Mall - played a lot of Time Pilot '84 there.
o Entomology lab in the Federal Building.
o Chrome Forest.
o The big white house off Hurlock Ave. Laser beams came from here on occasion.
o JVC RC-M70 (biggest boom box in town).
o Boomboxes with LEDs inside the speakers.
o Swordfighting with fluorescent light bulbs at the dump.
blush.gif

Does ANY of this ring ANY bells?
I'm trying to narrow things down to see where you might know me from.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm... time to fire up the 'ol Sherlock Holmes pipe (stinky
blush.gif
) and see if I can figure this out.

I knew a number of Davids up there.
Let's see if we can narrow this down a bit...
Here are some clues for memory jogging purposes:

o Drinking parties behind the Super Bear.
* Nope. I avoided drinking because I knew it could beat me.
o Keggers at Auke Rec and/or Eagle Beach.
* See above
o Keggers at Skater's Cabin.
* See above
o Commodore computer user group by the airport.
* Nope.
o Pizza joint off Willoughby (forgot the name) across from the S.O.B.
* It was called Bullwinkles. It's still there. I think.
o P.J.'s game room (good at Tempest coin op, world record on Looping coin op)
* I went there only once.
o The Grant's house on Nowell Ave (experiments with furnace transformers).
* Nope.
o Norm's Video Palace - I ran the joint for a while, and at two locations. Also got a world record on the Star Trek coin op.
* Nope.
o Norm's Vending - did the route for them too.
* Nope.
o Game room in the Nugget Mall - played a lot of Time Pilot '84 there.
* I don't think I've been to that one.
o Entomology lab in the Federal Building.
* Nope.
o Chrome Forest.
* Never heard their music but I always heard of them.
o The big white house off Hurlock Ave. Laser beams came from here on occasion.
* Nope.
o JVC RC-M70 (biggest boom box in town).
* Nope.
o Boomboxes with LEDs inside the speakers.
* Nope.
o Swordfighting with fluorescent light bulbs at the dump.
blush.gif

* Nope.
shocked.gif

Does ANY of this ring ANY bells?
I'm trying to narrow things down to see where you might know me from.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I liked to play Defender and skipped school a lot to play it at the Bowling alley. And at Pete's Pizzaz in the Nugget Mall. I'm the short native guy who always got high score to bump someone elses name off.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I liked to play Defender and skipped school a lot to play it at the Bowling alley. And at Pete's Pizzaz in the Nugget Mall. I'm the short native guy who always got high score to bump someone elses name off.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That Defender thing sounds familiar.
Pete's Pizzaz was the "game room" I meant where I played Time Pilot '84. Just couldn't think of the name on the spur of the moment.
I too played video games at Channel Bowl, and usually had the high scores on Tempest.

Now it's time to get out the heavy artillery - the two surviving yearbooks I have from Marie Drake.
shocked.gif

There. I believe I just found you in the 1978/1979 yearbook, but I'm not 100% certain.
If you e-mail me with what the "W" stands for, I'll know for certain.

j7.jpg

You should easily recognise this picture... it's from right in front of Pizzaz in the Nugget Mall.
smile.gif

The long building in this picture had a sporting goods store and a Radio Shack in it.

j1.jpg

And looking from my home in West Juneau.
wink.gif

Looks like I lost a lot of my pictures last month, but those stored in two Samsonite briefcases survived. I knew there was a reason I put yearbooks and really important pictures in those things.
grin.gif

One place I miss for some reason was the Taku Twin theaters. It was a shame they tore it down.
frown.gif
And wasn't there a gameroom in the old theatre on Front Street?
They had a Defender there (where DIDN'T they?) but I usually hung around the Joust machine.
smile.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an old picture
smile.gif
Sealaska put a tramway up Mt. Roberts and Mt. Juneau. Or at least one of them. The email is on it's way.

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by akwormy:
Us Alaska residents get the royal screwjob when it comes to shipping. All these companies offering free shipping completely cop out when it comes to Alaska (UPS does not offer ground to Alaska, They do offer ground from Alaska FIGURE THAT OUT!!) and businesses are few and far between that even offer USPS priority mail (which is cheap and relatively fast). So many times Im stuck paying 20 bucks or more for second day air (sometimes more than my order!!!!)

Thanks for letting me rage a little ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Living in Hawaii, we get screwed on shipping too. I always add priority mail in the comment box. The only other option is the 20 dollar 2 day shipping costs with fedex or ups. Btw priority mail to Hawaii takes about 1 week to a week and a half. Even longer now due to 9/11 and the x-mas rush.
shocked.gif