Using Flashlight to Walk Dog

doug5551

Newly Enlightened
Ok,

I have a dachshund I love dearly and a month or so ago I took her out for a walk at night and she saw a bunny and took off running and pulled the leash out of my hand. She only ran about 100 feet, and I got her back in about 30 seconds, but I decided I never wanted that to happen again. That is what started my immediate interest in using a flashlight for all future night dog walking. My entire life previously I had preferred to let my eyes adapt to the darkness and not use a flashlight ever.

So now I have several flashlights and my favorites now are an Olight S2 Copper Baton and an Olight M23 Javelot.

What tips and tricks do you veteran experienced night dog walkers have for a noob. Do you point the light ahead or at your feet? Do you use very low lumens or high lumins?

Any suggestions or stories are welcome. Thanks!

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I live in the county where it is very dark. When we go out I use high to scan for deer or skunks etc. Then switch to low for the actual walk. There's no sidewalk so I'm walking on uneven ground. Need to watch where I step.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it this time of year, having the excuse to walk my beagles with a flashlight.
I usually take a Malkoff Hound Dog which has good throw with enough spill to be able to see where I'm stepping. We live in a very rural part of the country and when it's dark it's dark. I've just aquired a Malkoff Wildcat, which is all flood with no hotspot. A very impressive light, but when I used it the other other night on a walk, I found I missed the throw of the Hound Dog. The Wildcat lit up about 50 yards around me, but I like being able to see what's going on in the distance.
In answer to your question I tend to light up the distance rather than shine it at my feet or the beagles, the spill is bright enough to cover that. On low setting the light is enough to see by but full power is more comforting.
I'm afraid you can't let beagles loose as you'll never see them again, so they walk on very strong 5 meter leads. The fear of them getting away on the dark is another reason for using a medium distance thrower. I always carry at least one backup light, plus a spare 18650 cell, which all my lights use.
I can imagine that walking a dog in a town with lots of ambient light would allow a low setting, plus you won't attract too much attention.
I have tried once or twice to walk light free, but it's not something I will repeat.
P

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I neighborhood walk a large dog every night. I prefer a light with a Twist or Side switch control. I am including magnetic control when I say Twist. It is easier to activate the light with out raising your arm, or changing your grip. I also have a lanyard on my light.
I keep one of those Niteyes blinky leds on her collar usually. Not that she will run off, I just want cars or bikers (pedal) to see her too.

I usually have it aimed down, sorta behind the dog on a low setting. I say "low", I mean maybe under 50 or so lumens. I do that so I can shine the light on the back of the dog and light her path from behind her.

FWIW: the absolute best and craziest dog walking light is a Cool Fall SPY 007!
Next light I love is a custom Minimag Triple done by member kyfishguy. For like $60 it is just a awesome dog walking wall of light.
I also like some of my Sunwayman lights. Magnetic or side switch.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep one of those Niteyes blinky leds on her collar usually. Not that she will run off, I just want cars or bikers (pedal) to see her too.

What if she bumps with Sheriff Pope on the way? (based on your location). :devil:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
A wrist lanyard attached to the flashlight will help you hold onto your flashlight and the dog leash at the same time.

northtothefuture

Newly Enlightened
I walk dogs at night in a fairly rural neighborhood. I do a scan for moose on high power, I've got a 900 lumen headlamp, but switch it to medium power for the actual walk. I keep the beam pretty far out ahead. I will say that my dog mushing buddies use 1500 lumen headlamps, often on full blast, but then they;re going quite a bit faster and need to be able to see way far ahead

hemix360

Newly Enlightened
I haven't walked my dog at night for some time but when I did I had my HDS on moonlight when walking on the street and I could just double click or press and hold for max if a car came by. I keep it attached around my wrist with a lanyard and never had any problems. I live about 25 miles south of DC on the Chesapeake Bay so it's busy around here and we have a 3 streetlights on our road.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 lumens for dog walking - my dark adapted eyes can see much better outside the beam's cone, it's a nicer outdoor experience for me, and batts last forever. I use a reflective dog collar (off leash) and holding the light near my eyes and I can spot my dog/other animals by the reflection of the collar/eyes. I use a momentary max from low switch for long distance spotting, bumps in the dark, and warning approaching cars of our presence (2x millisec flashes). For momentary max, I try to hold the light high above my head so the spill hits the foreground further away (less blinding).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In the area where cars approach from the rear I keep the light aimed down and make sure my arm moves enough where said car can see the motion of a 40+ lumen output.

Wrist lanyard is a bonus on a light small enough to slide in a back pocket quickly if 2 hands are required. (I walk 3 at the same time).

Definitely a clicky switch or one hand operation type. Side switch doesn't require your hand to go from one grip to another to change settings with your thumb. A tail switch that can be activated easy enough to use your pinky sideways would be an alternative as you are likely holding the flashlight under handed.

My ideal walkers are a Mag 4C with a 3cell krypton, a PK FL2 on low or SureFire G2x Pro that starts on low. I've used others but they are my favorites.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I walk my dog at night, I have a head light on, a light on her collar, and a light on the leash. I ALWAYS have a flash light in my pocket.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would put a traffic wand diffuser on the Olight S2. You will be very visible to traffic and have a nice circle of light around you. I believe Olight makes a traffic wand for that light.
Put a reflective vest or collar on your dog so if it runs off cars and you will be able to see it easily.
I also wear a reflective vest. Before I did once in a while a confused driver would actually pull off the road right up next to me. After I started wearing the vest along with my flashlight there have been no problems.
Now you can use your Olight Javelot for occasional long distance spotting.
Ive been walking my dog many different places at night for the last 12 years. It's becoming less at night now because of her age. Its sad to see her start to get old.

elzilcho

Enlightened
Occasional sweeps of the path ahead with high lumens (mostly to catch any cat/rabbit/possum/racoon eyes long before we get there) and low lumens in the spots between the street lights.

A wrist lanyard is helpful so you can still use 2 hands to scoop without having to shove your light back in your pocket.

neocacher

Newly Enlightened
I have a dachshund also. Her name is Cookie. I use a Olight S30RII when I walk her. It has a 1, 20, 100, 450, and 1020 turbo as you probably know. Honestly, most of the time 20 lumens is marginal and 100 lumens is adequate. I had her take off on a bunny also this week and there was a little traffic in the neighborhood. I couldn't find her for 30 seconds and a lone car was coming. I put on the strobe, pointed it at the driver and the car came to a halt. About a second later Cookie came walking out RIGHT IN FRONT of the stopped car. I can't be sure if the car saw the dog and stopped or the strobe caused the driver to stop. Honestly, that strobe could have possibly saved the dogs life. I don't know. I'm just thankful. Seems like with the S2 you have a great light. I think you would love the S30RII or the S2R. They are so convenient to recharge. What I like about the S30RII is the pass-thru charging capability of the small table charger. I have it on my nightstand and it is very convenient for me.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We walk the dogs at night/twilight/sun-over-the-mountain much more than during the day, especially this time of year: less hassle with irresponsible dog owners, cooler temperatures for our sled dog, a chance of more interesting wildlife viewing, get to use flashlights!

If you are OK with a headlamp on the head, using it as an area light on low setting is very convenient to avoid a stumble. You can also turn it on high if need be. An area flashlight attached to your body or backpack is another possibility.

Using a thrower is virtually mandatory for us because of the wildlife opportunities/hazards, plus it is fun to momentary your surroundings once in a while. Never know when you might see eyes glowing back at you.

EDIT: Shining the hotspot of a flashlight at your feet will contract your pupils and hamper your night vision everytime you look down. I have to occasionally remind my 6 year old son and wife to use the ample spill to see close ahead when using general purpose and spotlight type flashlights. And reminding ourselves to avoid shining lights into other human's and dog's eyes is the polite thing to do, as well as only a brief shining at the wild ones whose home we are visiting. Our son regretfully likes to take down flying bugs with our power torches, and it's hard to not continue to track the summer bats and owls in flight.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I have a 95 lb. dog who can and will pull with the strength of an ox if he sees another dog nearby or wants to chase after a nearby critter (squirrel, bunny etc)... The potential for him to rip the leash out of my hands had always been a concern - which is why I always wrap the leash handle around my hand two times, and then hold onto it. Consider doing this with your dog, and if your leash isn't all that long, find a slightly longer leash. This way, when the dog pulls, or unexpectedly pulls, it will tighten the leash around your hand first and foremost - allowing you to maintain your grip/hold on the leash...

DMS1970

Enlightened
The olight S2 S1, or any of the new TIR offerings (S2A, S2A, S2R, S1A, etc) are the best beam pattern for dog walking IMHO. I just received my SC600FD and it looks like the new winner.

The S1 if you have it will clip on a hat and makes a great makeshift headlamp.

Olight previewed a model that looks like an S1 with a 90° lens a while ago that looks like a great future headlamp option to clip on a pocket etc.

jonny89

Newly Enlightened
Probably an headlamp is the best solution to have hand free.
Skilhunt H03 for example