EAGTAC        

Thread: HEADLAMP SUITABLE FOR FISHING AND GENERAL USE

Default HEADLAMP SUITABLE FOR FISHING AND GENERAL USE

hello all ,
    I am new to the site and was hoping to get some advice on a headlamp suitable for fishing and camping ....I am in Australia and would be using it on dusk for fishing / getting back to the car from the river /using around camp / working on my car etc . I have done quite a bit of research however I am unable to come up with what want . I have looked at the black diamond revolt and was turned off by a review that said they were uncomfortable to wear for long periods plus having to modify non black diamond rechargeable batteries to enable them to be charged . I was also looking at the zebralights but none of them seem to have a red light . I dont want to shine a bright light into the water when I am fishing as it scares the trout away

These are the things I am trying to cover
    * light weight and comfortable
    * reasonably long battery life ( say 4-6 hours )
    * rechargeable via USB
    * no rear battery pack / self contained
    * headband does not really matter , would rather not have the strap over the top of my head if possible but not a deal breaker
    * red light for preserving night vision
    * does not need to be super bright / just good light

I tried searching previous threads about this but the earliest ones I could find were 2010 . Can anyone with more knowledge than me suggest something good quality without a massive price tag ?
    Thanks in advance Matt

Flashaholic

Default Re: HEADLAMP SUITABLE FOR FISHING AND GENERAL USE

Hiya Matt. If you don't need loads of power then petzl e-lite might be the one. It's easily switchable between white and red light, and you can also make it come on in red.

Zebralight do make a dedicated red light, however I can't remember the model..but it is on their site.

Other than that, rear battery Fenix's might be an option for more power. But...rear battery...sorry...

Edit...just thought of Fenix HL35....

I can't think of any USB rechargeable ones though.
    Last edited by Stevie; 10-07-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    Lighten up!

I think that Petzl TIKKA R+ might be a good choice for you.

It is USB rechargeable, light, compact, programmable, have red light...
    Enlightened member of pl.rec.rowery
    Light-Test - bike light’s & Headlamps comparison site. - In polish but picture says everything

Thanks guys i appreciate the replies . Can anyone who currently owns one comment on the battery life of the petzl r + ?

I will add that UV LEDs and even some blu LEDs can fluoresce fishing line making it easier to see in the dark if that helps any.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

R+ will work as advertised - 10 hours of runtime in reactive low mode - trail tested
    Enlightened member of pl.rec.rowery
    Light-Test - bike light’s & Headlamps comparison site. - In polish but picture says everything

Sounds good , thank you for your help

Ended up going for the petzl reactik + , seems like a pretty good light . Not the cheapest but the best all round for my needs with comfort and weight . Thanks again for the replies