arc4+ tint

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my arc4+ today, and I am getting used to the settings and comparing it against my lshf-p that I love. So far, the arc4 is everything I expected other than one thing: tint. I have read other posts where their arc4 had purple or green tine, but most pics I have seen appear white. Mine seems a bit blue, and gets worse at lower settings. Is this normal or expected on a light with tint control? Did I lose out on the luxeon lottery, or did I just get a really great lshf-p and I am now spoiled?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I think the published "tint-control" that's listed as a feature is a misnomer. I too, had thought it meant that it would take any crappy LED and not only make it white, but maintain that whiteness. That is not the case. Peter can better explain what it's intended to do, but the short answer is NO, it won't change the color or tint of an LED.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
firehawk,
What you describe is normal. Mine has a very slight green tint. Which I think looks perfectly white under most conditions at level 1. But at lower levels the green is more apparant. My Arc4+ beam pics show up as white because they are so close to white that the camera makes them appear white.

firehawk

Newly Enlightened
I thought it was something like that. I love this light, but I am not sure which beam pattern I like more. They both have their advantages.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the "tint-control" doesn't adjust the tint, but it maintains the tint of the LED as much as possible. the LED will still get more green-tinted as it dims, but it won't get as green as a normal LED light without tint control.

if your arc4 is pure white at level 1, it will tend to get green-tinted at dimmer levels. if its slightly blue at level 1, it will get white at dimmer levels, and slightly green at the dimmest settings. if its pure white at one of the mid-brightness settings, it will get blue-ish at level 1 and slightly green-ish at level 16.

in any case, the tint will still vary much less than if the light had no tint-control.

Status
Not open for further replies.