Review: Olight S1R TurboS Version

Budda

Enlightened
I received the updated S1R baton from Olightstore.com, curtesy of Toby.

The updated version of the S1R has the same look, feel and construction of the previously reviewed model. So, I'd advise you to read the review of the previous version, for a complete description of the light.

The update consists in the added Turbo level, that is positioned between the 900 and 300 lumens levels present on the previous version.
So, on this version these are the levels:
- TurboS: 900 lumens 1.5 minutes, 300 lumens 50 minutes
- Turbo: 600 lumens 1.5 minutes, 300 lumens 55 minutes
- High: 300 lumens 60 minutes
- Medium: 60 lumens 4.5 hours
- Low: 12 lumens 33 hours
- Moonlight: 0.5 lumens 15 days

The interface will be slightly different, more on that later.

The box is different from the old S1R version.
As you can see, there is TurboS written on it.
DSCN2168_zpsxklxxssp.jpg

DSCN2169_zpswepuwtkv.jpg

The package is complete with detailed instructions, and is packed with stuff.
DSCN2171_zpsvficiazd.jpg

DSCN2173_zpszv8s4rpl.jpg

DSCN2174_zpsdewja3aw.jpg

DSCN2178_zpsnefas69c.jpg

DSCN2179_zpsqbj2ivth.jpg

With the updated version of the S1R you will find: the light, the Olight IMR protected proprietary 16340 cell, embroided pouch, magnetic charging cable and lanyard.
DSCN2181_zpsdhtzgmmm.jpg

DSCN2185_zpswa1qpp4q.jpg

DSCN2190_zpsfqu2gxyd.jpg

DSCN2191_zpsmkqvtlhj.jpg

DSCN2192_zpsbx6a1nx6.jpg

DSCN2201_zpsvxozraii.jpg

DSCN2203_zpst3qrsnu1.jpg

The included battery is also the same.
DSCN2193_zpszh69ytvs.jpg

DSCN2194_zpskgxtbqu0.jpg

The charging base works in the same way
DSCN1822_zps7zt80icf.jpg

DSCN1824_zps5b3ijupe.jpg

The updated S1R has the same look and size of the old S1R.
DSCN2183_zpsdcqnmzzg.jpg

The update consists in a modification of the interface: the old Turbo level (900 lumens) is still present, and is called TurboS. A new 600 lumen level has been introduced, and is called Turbo.

Now, a double click from off, will turn the S1R on at Turbo mode.
When in turbo mode, another double click will access to TurboS mode.
Everything else regarding the interface is identical to the old S1R (level access, memory, lockout mode, low battery indicator, timer, …).

I've been told that the only outer difference is in the box.
Also, this updated version will not replace the S1R version with a single turbo mode.
They will be both for sale.
Again, please refer to the review of the previous S1R model for a complete discussion of the light.

Just a small comparative pic with the only other CR123 sized light I own: the Jetbeam JET II Pro. They have the same size.
DSCN2324_zpsyrt41szt.jpg

DSCN2327_zpsvwvwnktr.jpg

Output and Runtime
I tested the output and runtime using the integrated Olight 16340 IMR protected battery.
Output_zps5dvbulth.png

Runtime_zpsrhx0xl1g.png

Runtime2_zpsu9cqetey.png

My thoughts
I like the addition of another level of 600 lumens.
I don't find annoying that I have to make 2 double click to access the 900 lumens mode. If you find yourself using often the turbo mode, but you won't need all the 900 lumens, the 600 lumens turbo will help you save a lot of runtime, given the small size of the battery.
All the other comments stated in the review of the previous version apply to this light.
The main limit is still that you can't recharge common RCR batteries, only the Olight proprietary batteries.
Thanks to AntoLed for lending me the luxmeter and the camera.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
S1R S?? Already? Wow the S1 has been a home run for Olight. Sorry Olight the light fund is busted for now just pre ordered the coming Mini S1 in copper. Great review Budda! The performance looks very impressive.

cumeche

Newly Enlightened
Any word on if the S1R is updatable to the turbo S version? An Olight rep told me it was a software update, but I haven't been able to get hold of anyone since to get this done.

Bugdozer

Newly Enlightened
Any word on if the S1R is updatable to the turbo S version? An Olight rep told me it was a software update, but I haven't been able to get hold of anyone since to get this done.

Is the firmware updateable on a flashlight? I guess it would depend on the controller components and if they are re-falshable or a one time burn. Hummmm.

Bugdozer

Newly Enlightened
Just received my S1R Turbo S last night and I have a quick question. How bright should the red charge LED be? The green is somewhat visible but the red is very dim, I have to cup my hands around it to see it.

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened
Shouldn't be that dim mine is not quite as bright as the green but not far off