Single 18650 thrower for night field use

czoperator

Newly Enlightened
Hey fellers,

So what can I expect to be looking for when searching for a new light that takes a single 18650 and can resist light rain or a dunk in the pond. I need a thrower to light up my fields when walking at night or very early mornings heading into my duck blinds.

defbear

Newly Enlightened
The Hound Dog is a good one. Any of the Malkoff HOT (high output throw) models are recommended.

mdorian

Newly Enlightened
The Convoy C8 is a favored cheap flashlight around here. With a XP-L HI it has terrific throw. With such good throw the spill is significantly diminished but that's just the trade off one makes for good throw. The XM-L2 version will have a lot less throw but a beam profile with a better balance between the hotspot and the spill.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight M2X-UT Javelot period. Vinh's lights are great and all but expensive. You can order an extension tube for 2x18650 set up for this light as well. It is underrated by Olight and has tested out here on CPF to be a 200k CD thrower. The 2x18650 set up does not increase out put it gives you more run time. The beam has a couple light rings in it but in the field you wont notice. Some have complained it has a green tint to the beam. My copy is halogen like yellow its great. The tail switch is awesome. Comes in nice plastic storage case and with a nice belt holster.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Olight M2X-UT Javelot period. Vinh's lights are great and all but expensive. You can order an extension tube for 2x18650 set up for this light as well. It is underrated by Olight and has tested out here on CPF to be a 200k CD thrower. The 2x18650 set up does not increase out put it gives you more run time. The beam has a couple light rings in it but in the field you wont notice. Some have complained it has a green tint to the beam. My copy is halogen like yellow its great. The tail switch is awesome. Comes in nice plastic storage case and with a nice belt holster.

Newer models use xpl Hi so have a nice cool white tint. No green tint issues with them like the old dedomed xml's. Great light I will second the recommendation

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a thread somewhere floating around CPF I have been trying to find again that tells you how to determine if your M2X is a de domed XML2 or an XP-L HI by the lights serial #. I think, I am not sure, that mine is a de domed XML2....if anybody knows anything about this feel free to chime in...

ven

Flashaholic
If its an xpl HI CC you will see a flat dome over the LED, if its and xml2 de-domed then you will see the actual LED and nothing over it. If struggling, try a magnifying glass to help out.

stfc69

Newly Enlightened

Unless you get an underperforming one like I have... My Acebeam T20 running off one battery is about 25% more intense than my M2X-UT. Much nicer tint as well.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
talk about eye strain. With the help of two magnifying glasses its a lock mine is a de domed XML2. I really like my copy. In single 18650 set up its pleasantly portable high output beam still throws further than I can even see. Sorry you got a lemon stfc69 I hate reading about people ending up with a bad Olight all my Olights are perfect(knock on wood). Im running a nearly 2 year old NCR18650G Orbtronic 3600mah cell in mine and it flat cranks. Maybe its a battery issue?

stfc69

Newly Enlightened
talk about eye strain. With the help of two magnifying glasses its a lock mine is a de domed XML2. I really like my copy. In single 18650 set up its pleasantly portable high output beam still throws further than I can even see. Sorry you got a lemon stfc69 I hate reading about people ending up with a bad Olight all my Olights are perfect(knock on wood). Im running a nearly 2 year old NCR18650G Orbtronic 3600mah cell in mine and it flat cranks. Maybe its a battery issue?

Going by what ven had said I think mine is a de-domed XML2, it still throws really well for it's size. I've tried various batteries and the results are pretty much the same. I have an Olight S30R ll which seems underpowered as well... :confused:

Not that doing my own lux tests makes any difference, it's just interesting to compare different lights. The T20 averages around 230k (with 2 batteries) at various distances and the Olight around 130k.

ven

Flashaholic
Nothing wrong(other than a potential tint issue) with de-domed xm-l2/ xpl's , can be pushed and out perform the xpl HI from what i have read. Vinh will prefer to use the xpl/xml2 PDT as he can push harder and get the light further down the range. xpl HI do have their place though, more consistent tint from what i have experienced.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually prefer the halogen like tint out of my M2X. The spot beam is so concentrated its like a giant light saber. My M2X UT, SR52UT and especially my M3XS-UT all are amazing and each one throws farther than I can even see. SR52UT has astonishing run times.