Gotta Have Coffee!

Poppy

Flashaholic
I really dislike instant coffee, and two weeks ago we went car camping with the scouts.
I decided to bring a two burner Coleman propane stove instead of my JetBoil.

I was undecided on how to make coffee in the morning. ???
My son has a coffee press.
My daughter, likes loose tea, in those infuser bowels, essentially stainless steel strainers that turn loose tea into tea bags.
I have a Mellita pouring cone (where you line the cone with a filter, and coffee, and then pour hot water through it).
I decided to go the tea bag... coffee bag route.
LOL... it didn't work too well. The ball didn't close tightly enough, and I had a LOT of coffee grinds in my coffee.

On my next trip, I'll bring the Mellita with filters.

NBYLYGGFyg4AKderKPxt-3AgIOPitPA9EXxIrEl2nHw2NIS96Y-1gl_OM2G4TGNvvxPjAvjqAzLmJWFxzK54_GumBrqvK8LU22IGqsXtRxMymAbIL4LCWVY4AzogrQlQLRbt0zkiWEhnpkWei980d7C4xRuWVxj-TOrVkeohLsZ-Wlttf6KP9HEyRi1lwz_7UlZXHSA9fWv6xBsySsph1YZcVIw5Mzces8MTE_9wQo7_MkzYUvUzCvJLBiMuUfMgFYJbkcTXclRUWEPvXxr1rSYBYiqbxkkiG8ihg2Id1teOgfiHgM6BAOJ4RZ05TNOHEmRnbmfCoHZa3BGdVs8q46mi1kk5sbvUHDbrfZxyWXI_RPVtb9AjwNRrHeLD9PtI1E72CSHuwvRJNiUF2QQWfalDXkoEmPiRo6F-oAvBLfnHf9enM_udguQRR7ZdvGRCwBWQZgjmcsnBzuCpkjCBdJJMhp_0otTmMp1Hoj-BUZhDXjB3XyqybPIbA2rpES1IWVYM0LNYxz4W7AI03twzAh5Jn4NJko18g0_yoKu6dHmAzblGaukltnDIpG6XySuVl2RoNFio7d3g2NAflsafAEgP8OrM2Ij2QHPqN93Y9Hl65w6D=w578-h770-no

Oh yeah... one of the best shows in Disney! :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Melitta doesn't really shine until you use the micro-perforated filters with it; it's the one option I wish my more user-friendly Kalita Wave had. The traditional didn't-bring-hardware campfire coffee is the cowboy dip.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
The Melitta doesn't really shine until you use the micro-perforated filters with it; it's the one option I wish my more user-friendly Kalita Wave had. The traditional didn't-bring-hardware campfire coffee is the cowboy dip.
I had to look up the Kalita Wave to see why you said it was more user-friendly, I don't see why. BUT... I see that they do offer filters for it now.

Yeah... we ended up kind of doing the cowboy dip method. Boiled up the coffee in a quart sized pot with a cover, and then filtered the coffee through the mesh/strainer of the tea infuser. LOL... it was a little bit of a rubes goldberg solution, but it was better than straining the coffee grinds out through my teeth :nana:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I had to look up the Kalita Wave to see why you said it was more user-friendly, I don't see why. BUT... I see that they do offer filters for it now.

The Wave is flat-bottomed with three holes, so there's no one point where all the water is running through causing over-extraction at that one spot, the grounds seep evenly throughout. It's as good as pour-over gets with a standard filter, though I swear by the perforated filters which are not available for the Wave. The Aeropress has at least as much high-end nuance as the pour-over if you cut a perforated filter for it, and of course the french press is unbeatable so long as you want syrupy roast darkness with the other flavors.

Poppy

Flashaholic
The Wave is flat-bottomed with three holes, so there's no one point where all the water is running through causing over-extraction at that one spot, the grounds seep evenly throughout. It's as good as pour-over gets with a standard filter, though I swear by the perforated filters which are not available for the Wave. The Aeropress has at least as much high-end nuance as the pour-over if you cut a perforated filter for it, and of course the french press is unbeatable so long as you want syrupy roast darkness with the other flavors.
Gee,
You speak about coffee like a fine glass of wine :)

So what is the difference between a Mr Coffee filter and a perforated filter?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Gee,
You speak about coffee like a fine glass of wine :)

So what is the difference between a Mr Coffee filter and a perforated filter?

Worked as a professional barista for a year as a younger guy, and have been honing my technique in the decade-plus since :)

The perforated filter lets through just a bit of the coffee oils, which a standard paper filter absorbs completely; doesn't really make any difference if you're using store-shelf coffee, but if you're using fresh roast, it allows you to taste some of the brighter overtones that would be missing otherwise. Some Panamanian coffee tastes very nice through a paper filter, but only through a perforated filter or french press do you notice the subtle note of blueberry in the background.

If you haven't tried fresh roast coffee yet, you need to do that before bothering with any of these technical details though - the best store-shelf coffee in a $1,000 barista station doesn't taste as good as fresh roast in a $10 drug store coffeemaker. Order through the mail if necessary, I can personally guarantee you that trying fresh roast in whatever you brew your morning coffee in now will taste better than anything you've tried via any other method with store-shelf stuff, it's that big a difference.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Grind your beans & put 'em in a freezer Ziploc
Bring a gold mesh filter

411FJQ559AL.jpg

Make your own brew setup on the fly & enjoy some coffee in the field

Got Milk?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have something like this in stainless for my Mr. Coffee.
I bought it primarily because too often the filter paper fell over and grinds snuck their way into my coffee.
When the screen ripped, I started using paper filters under it.
In other words, I would insert paper filter, then the screened basket, then coffee grinds.

I have noticed that there is an oily feel to the bottom of the screened basket.

Even though I have a new one, I have still been using paper filters under it.
I have noted that the paper filter is less porous than the screen, in that it traps finer particles.
I guess I should remove the paper for a more flavor-able coffee?

+

Grind your beans & put 'em in a freezer Ziploc
Bring a gold mesh filter

411FJQ559AL.jpg

Make your own brew setup on the fly & enjoy some coffee in the field

Got Milk?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I haven't noticed a significant difference taste-wise between paper and mesh when using store shelf coffee; coffee "dust"/superfine particles affect coffee flavor once water touches them, not after brewed coffee leaves the filter.

Be aware that the oils added to your coffee by mesh filters [alone] increase bad cholesterol, if this is a health issue for you, you shouldn't be using this method daily.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I haven't noticed a significant difference taste-wise between paper and mesh when using store shelf coffee; coffee "dust"/superfine particles affect coffee flavor once water touches them, not after brewed coffee leaves the filter.

Be aware that the oils added to your coffee by mesh filters [alone] increase bad cholesterol, if this is a health issue for you, you shouldn't be using this method daily.
I question the validity of such studies.

Some say coffee enemas are good for you. :anyone: :grin2:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm living proof; my last blood panel came back perfect with the exception of borderline bad cholesterol thanks to daily French press use, that's how good fresh roast is..

I would go with ...
1. lack of exercise (exercise converts bad cholesterol LDL Low Density Lipo-proteins to HDL High Density Lipo-Proteins. Exercise converts the bad to good.
2. Stress... Cholesterol is created in the body, independent of intake, and the body creates more when it is in a stressful state.

There are so many variables, 80% lean beef, vs 95% lean beef in hamburgers, or meatloaf.
PrimeRib VS leaner cuts of meat.

More bacon or less?

More fried foods or less?

Then there is the discussion regarding grain fed beef vs grazed beef.

Chicken thighs vs wings, or breasts.

Olive, vs sesame, vs canola, corn, vegetable oil.

Again, there are so many variables, for all intents and purposes, to blame borderline high cholesterol on any ONE issue is IMO not reasonable.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm living proof; my last blood panel came back perfect with the exception of borderline bad cholesterol thanks to daily French press use, that's how good fresh roast is..
SH,
I am sorry, but I wrote you a 20 minute response that didn't post because of a server error, I'm not willing at this time to re-write that response.

If you would point me to what ever study you are citing, I am certain that I could rip them a new orifice.

There are so many variables that could create elevated LDL cholesterol, that I doubt that they could find a population that could cause the French Press, as the only differentiating factor.

Oh, I didn't mention genetics as a possible differentiating factor.

HDL High Density Lipo-protient
Stress increases LDL Cholesterol
Exercise convert LDL to HDL.
Stress, creates, LDL.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I walk 12-15 miles a day moving ~20 lb weights, I'm pretty much a lumberjack at this point. But yeah, better to enjoy good coffee :D

Fun fact: Seal Team Six, the team responsible for the death of Bin Laden, has a communal french press which they only use to painstakingly make coffee and sit and and drink for an hour immediately before missions. That's how good fresh roast is..

sandalian

Enlightened
I was working with my boss on the same table, then he went away and left his macbook next to my laptop. I went to kitchen and could only found instant coffee, so I made a cup and put it next to my laptop.

I made a wrong move and the coffee spilled on to the table and into the macbook. It died instantly, without any sign of resurrection :fail:

Long story short, the macbook is recovered (thanks to Apple care protection plan) and I don't have to pay anything. But it made me kinda "hate" instant coffee ever since.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I took my Melita camping this weekend, with the scouts, and other parents.

It worked pretty well, although little slow for making multiple cups of coffee.
Great for one or two, but I think the next time that I go I'll bring a coffee press.

I thought that I would speed the process, by putting the loose coffee in a pot of boiling water and letting it steep, then pour it through the melita with a filter. I thought that it would go through faster. Unfortunately, the very small particles clogged the filter pretty quickly, whereas while it has coffee grains in it, the water/coffee manages to get through.

I was the only one making fresh coffee... the others brought instant.

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
I remember making what was called "cowboy coffee".Threw the coffee in the boiling water to steep.After the coffee was done the trick was to poor some cool water in the pot to settle the grounds to the bottom.You then dipped the coffee out and poured it into your cup.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
although little slow for making multiple cups of coffee.
Great for one or two, but I think the next time that I go I'll bring a coffee press.

The one I use is all stainless steel and ~32 fl oz/4 servings, there are even larger variants if you need. Nothing to break and no filters. If you're boiling water over a campfire, I'd recommend bringing a cooking thermometer and a timer; the water should hit the grounds at 195-205F and brew for four minutes - higher/longer is more bitter, lower/shorter is weaker.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I use is all stainless steel and ~32 fl oz/4 servings, there are even larger variants if you need. Nothing to break and no filters. If you're boiling water over a campfire, I'd recommend bringing a cooking thermometer and a timer; the water should hit the grounds at 195-205F and brew for four minutes - higher/longer is more bitter, lower/shorter is weaker.

I roast my own coffee, and know a thing or two about coffee. Everything you have said throughout this thread is right on. Spoken like a true connoisseur. :grin2: