What's your preferred LED & reflector angle?

Jdub87

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
I am working on manufacturing a new flashlight design and intend to launch via Kickstarter in a month or so. I wanted some input from those with a lot of DIY light experience. What is your favorite LED brand, model, output level and reflector angle? I plan on powering it with 2 RCR123As.

Thanks!!

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 'correct' answers for you, or maybe the answers you will like, will depend on multiple variables, including but not limited to expected price point, expected use, target market, size, weight, run time, throw vs. flood, CRI, and even if all those are delineated, personal preference. You must have a lot of this already in mind or you wouldn't be anywhere near a month away from launching a Kickstarter campaign. Without being a lot more specific in your question, you won't be getting targeted answers. I could recommend some things that I like, but I would bet they would be completely unsuitable for you. Understanding that you might have IP you want to protect, my advice is to be as specific as possible about your goals.

Oh, and as it's generally considered bad form to ask experts for their hard-won knowledge for free so you can make a quick buck without having to put some skin in the game, you might find that most of the real experts simply won't respond.

Jdub87

Newly Enlightened
Ok, let me start over. I am a law enforcement officer and, while I use my flashlights a fair amount, I don't have a very thorough understanding of the individual components and the technical specifications of each. I have been working on a new tactical light design that lets a shooter maintain a firm two handed grip on their gun without mounting a light. I have a manufacturer and I have someone who is giving opinions on the specs so I do have skin in the game. I wasn't looking for someone to do a full electrical workup or spend large amounts of time working in my project for free. I just thought I would ask a knowledgeable group of light enthusiasts for their quick opinion on their favorite LED brands and models.

I also realize I didn't give a lot of details. Partially I wanted to hear people's favorites even if it might not be best for my project. But I should have given baseline specs. I am running it off of two CR123A batteries side by side instead of end to end. I want to push about 400-500 lumens but runtime is also important and I would want at least 90 min on high. It is intended for law enforcement or armed citizens so it needs to be a fairly concentrated throw with some peripheral flood. I am hoping for a price point of around $5 or less per LED in batches of 100.

Again I am not expecting someone to design the whole light for me, I already have someone doing that. I just wanted to tap a knowledge base and see if there might be good options to consider other than what he recommends. He might recommend a cheaper LED whereas y'all would pick quality. Just looking for some opinions.