Computer and video file help

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have DELL with windows vista home premium,,Video camera is a Canon VIXIA HF R100,,somehow I am missing a codec...I have changed video files from .MTS to .MPG,,as per suggested to me, files will not play because of this codec issue.

i have edited video before from this camera,,though i believe the disc which was PIXELA image mixer 3 " software that came with the camera" was installed.. I used that for editing as well as movie maker previously..Main drive has been changed..Disc is lone MIA. what can i do....Thanks in advance

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps someone may have the Pixela disc, Image mixer 3 se and i believe that was for a half dozen maybe 8 different cameras

StarHalo

Flashaholic
+1 for VLC, though when I search for Pixela Image Mixer it takes me to a software/download page, looks like you could just download it.

Headaches like this are why I never used bundled software, and then why I eventually left Windows; your camcorder probably does not have the video quality of a current cell phone camera, which would skip these issues entirely.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some similar Canon Vixias at work, but I use Macs, so I can't help that much. But I think the big issue is that the camera records in AVCHD format, which really writes a folder of various files including .MTS. However, you can't just willy nilly grab files in the package. You have to use software that reconstructs normal video from the AVCHD package. It took Apple several years? before Quicktime could just do this on a Mac and play the videos from the memory card, and there were other hoops for importing into Final Cut. Yes, I would've thought it easier to just write video files, but it doesn't seem the case.

Looking briefly at Canon's site, you can download the manual and such, and I see instructions in the manual for using ImageMixer 3 SE (AKA Pixela or Vixia ImageMixer 3, depending on where you read), BUT no download for that software. It's probably obsolete, but my guess is that there is something current for PC that can open AVCHD packages on a memory card. However, if you've altered the AVCHD data package, it may not open now.

We have something like Vixia R55s, which also do respectable video at full HD (1920x1080) like yours.