The Last Great President - The Top 4 Answers

Empath

Flashaholic
I found the assortment interesting on Family Feud. I guess people get involved with a particular group, and the predominate and most heavily presented opinions in the group distorts one's picture of what people out there are thinking.

Anyway, Family Feud had the question; "Who was the last great president"? "One hundred people surveyed, the top four answers are on the board". To start the game the first response was "Clinton". That answer won the choice of starting or passing. It was the number one answer with 54 respondents.

The panel got them fairly rapidly, but their wrong answers included, Bush Sr., and Nixon.

The top four answers were:

Clinton - 54%
Kennedy - 16%
Reagan - 11%
Lincoln - 8%

I just thought it was interesting. As usual, there's no endorsement nor complaint on my part.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
They ask the studio audience which in my experience consists of retirees flown in from Florida, tourists from Japan, and UCLA students showing off to their own visiting relatives.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
People are too stupid to realise the word "great" was in the sentence.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, an acquaintance of mine saw me carrying a book with a picture of clinton on the cover (it was "Dereliction of Duty" by Scott Patterson.)

He said (pointing at the photo): "You know, I think he was the greatest man of all time, except for maybe Jimmy Carter." I gave him the book, thought that he might like to know a little more about the "great man" than what the Main Street Media has told us. A week or so later he gave my book back saying: "I read the first page, but didn't want to read any more. I'm too old and set in my ways to have my illusions crushed by the truth".

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
They must've held the survey in LA. If that's the case, I can only think that Reagan made the cut cause he was a former SAG president.

Either that or Hillary was handing out $100 bills in the parking lot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
How good a president he was literally, can't hold a candle to how good a president he was in the mind of those that chose him a second term. Second terms are won because people think someone's a good president. The ones opposing him became stronger in their belief during his second term, but the extra resolve and stronger belief doesn't count for much. I doubt that the words, rantings and exposés altered the opinions of the majority that re-elected him. Having strong beliefs don't help, since they still only count a vote as a vote, and don't pay any attention to how determined you make your mark on the ballot.

Gore's strong showing I'd suspect, was as much a vote in support of Clinton as it was Gore. Three terms aren't allowed, so we'll never know whether Clinton could have matched Roosevelt's record.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gore actually received a greater percentage of total votes cast than Clinton did in either election. Were it not for Perot splitting the conservative vote in both '92 & 96, clinton never would have been elected.

And other than that, every candidate that clinton OVERTLY supported and campaigned for since 1999, (with the exception of hillary herself and Mary Landreu in La, where a Republican hasn't been elected in the last 90 years) has lost rather resoundingly.

So, clinton support seems more like a liability than an asset. Something that Gore had to actually overcome rather than be aided by.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
and still my vote goes for bush! dont get me started on clinton

LEDependent

Enlightened
CLINTON!? HE's the top, with all that Reagan did for this country?? Geez, Reagan ended the frickin' Cold War! Does that not count for anything?!

-Jason
RIT College Republicans Vice-Chair

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
That's it! Family Feud is off my list as an educational & historical reference source! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
and still my vote goes for bush! dont get me started on clinton

[/ QUOTE ]

raggie33 / There is help for you. Not sure where, or how, but somewhere there is help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
whiskypapa3 said:
If you had cut Reagan's puppet strings he'd have fallen on his speach writer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me of another president with this history of his own writings (no editor, no speech writer, just personal writing for his own 5 minute radio show).

Reagan, In His Own Hand

[ QUOTE ]

From Publishers Weekly
Ronald Reagan is a puzzle: How, many wonder (and as Shultz puts it in his foreword), could he know so little and accomplish so much? The editors of this volume (two former Reagan advisers [Anderson and Anderson] and a historian [Skinner]) believe the question can be answered through Reagan's own writings. Associates describe Reagan as constantly writing, whether at home or in a hotel room, in a car or on a plane, recording his thoughts on the issues of the day. The product was almost always some form of public address, written and edited by hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Bill

ADD: I guess I might as well answer my own question...

Reagan, A Life in Letters

[ QUOTE ]
"You specified that you wanted to hear from me personally, so here I am," Ronald Reagan wrote to a citizen in 1981. And here he is, in his own words, in over 1,000 letters -- to family, friends, colleagues, world leaders, critics, political rivals, and what he called "uncommon" people: typical Americans who wrote to him about his policies or their problems.

Selected from the approximately ten thousand letters Reagan wrote during his lifetime -- more than any U.S. president since Thomas Jefferson -- the letters included here span the years 1922 to 1994...

[/ QUOTE ]

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Former president Jimmy Carter has walked the walk few other presidents have. He has continuously served this country and donated his life to peace and humanity ever since he left office. Mr. Carter has the selfless integrity that all later-day presidents have lacked. Jimmy Carter continues to lead by example - unlike those who line their pockets at the nation's expense.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yes, Carter makes an EXCELLENT EX President.

And leave Ronaldus Magnus Reagan ALONE!!! He was/is the greatest President during MY life so far!

Amongst Kalifornigasians, Clinton probably is great... (no harm meant to Californians!)

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes indeed, Carter has "walked the walk" that few other American Presidents have. He has continuously followed a policy of appeasement of leftist dictators all over the world.

He adores Castro; he tells us all that Fidel is really just a good ol' boy, a benevolent but misunderstood leader who is doing his best for the poor people of Cuba.

He is pals with Kim Jung Il, the "benevolent but misunderstood leader" of North Korea. He brokered the deal between clinton and Kim for hundreds of millions of dollars of bribes from the US and giving nuclear technology to Korea, shifting the burden to the current administration of dealing with NK's now much more advanced nuclear abilities, and a much more aggressive and desparate stance now that the bribes have stopped.

He gave away the Panama Canal, so that now the ChiComs can shut down 1/4 of the international shipping at will and giving them an incredible strategic position when they decide to move on the west.

He almost single handedly destroyed the superpower status of America, gave us oil shortages resulting in people unable to heat their homes comfortably.... and sitting in long lines to buy a couple of gallons of gasoline at the highest (inflation adjusted) prices ever in this country. It took Ronald Reagan 8 years to begin to undo the damage that Carter did in less than 4.

I could go on for pages and pages of the wonderful things that Carter has done for America and freedom loving humanity everywhere.

IMHO, Carter should stick to building houses for poor people instead of traveling the world sabotaging current administration policies. If he wants to decide foreign policy, let him run for President again, and since he is so obviously "the greatest man that ever lived" he would get elected {/sarcasm}.

As much as I despise a crooked politician of any stripe, I'd rather have one lining his pockets while he protects our soverignty than one one who doesn't steal money but actively tries to destroy my country, either through ignorance, incompetence or intent.

"Malaise" anyone?