P60 drop in and 18650 question

heckeng

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I am putting together my first p60 light. I am using a drop in that has a recommended input voltage of 4.2 to 8.4 volts. I believe you want to run the minimum voltage possible to keep excess heat down but I am right on the upper edge of single 18650 voltage so I want to see if you think I should run a single or a double.

Thanks for for your help

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
They usually go into direct drive mode and offer a long gradual taper of light. I'll second using two batteries versus just one. This is a UV light...do you plan to use it for several hours? If not, I wouldn't worry about heat from higher voltages.

Perhaps two CR123s to get you 6.4 volts? Seems like a good middle ground.

heckeng

Newly Enlightened
Not using it for hours but. Maybe 10 minutes at a time max. UV for real estate--finding sources of odors in carpet etc.

i assume direct mode mode just means it isn't regulated any longer so the output would just slowly diminish as the voltage gets lower?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered the convoy s2+ UV light. Total cost is $20 plus battery instead of $60+cost of host? The convoy will likely be more powerful too.

If you are trying to get into P60 as a way into LED lights I would advise against it as p60 is a poor platform for LED lighting.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the modularity is nice it also limits you. For example thermals, wrapping foil is not an ideal way to transfer great. Lights designed for LEDs have an integrated shelf that can near directly bond the LED to the body for the most efficient great transfer.

Also, you have one size reflector which limits what you can do beam wise

texas cop

Enlightened
P60 is a great platform. This was the one that started all the flashlight excitement and experimentation. It's this simplicity that get the beginner into experimenting with fit, LED's, etc. Your 4.2-8.4 volt dropin is going to need two lithium-ion batteries; 18650's or 18350's Take a look at these http://intl-outdoor.com/p60-c-143.html?zenid=3e24abc879be7bd6fb65ca3e29b29a15 One battery only dropin's and a bit of customization.