For Mark_van_Gorkom: Bicycle lights

Sprocketman

Newly Enlightened
I don't use my Arcs on my bicycles, because for my use no Arc including the 4x would give me enough light. I use standard automotive halogen 12v headlights, driven by NiMH C cells. I do have a handlebar clip for the Arc, but it's my backup. the bike with headlight can be seen at
http://www.helmets.org/forerunn.htm
I also have a page explaining why I use an automotive headlight at
http://www.helmets.org/lights.htm

BTW, the kid on the Fourrunner in the photo is Dutch! His name is the same as mine--Randy Swart--and I got an email from him several years ago. Since then his family has come here twice to visit and we are visiting them in De Meern next summer.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
That's a fair lot of light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif and rather more weight than I 'd care to lug around. For getting noticed, I've found that a headlight works rather better than any front mounted light I've tried, esp. by cars aproaching other than head-on; just look at them and you have their instant attention! The frontlight is only there to light up the road for me, and for that I haven't quite found the perfect light yet. Halogen lights burn out at the most awkward of times, and need to many batteries, but LEDlight either don't have a bike-specific beam, or are not powerful enough. I'm eagerly waiting for Cateye or the like to introduce a 5Watt LEDlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif In the mean time a combination of Cateye EL300 and Arc4 seems to work rather well, and the Arc alone would indeed be a usefull backup.
All this is, of course, more than somewhat dependant on where you ride, and Cycling in America is probably a bit more *interesting* than it is in the land of cyclepaths...

And why a quadricycle? All else being equal a 4-wheeler may be more stable than a trike, but this one looks relatively high and narrow; a well designed tadpole (Trice Windcheetah, Greenspeed, etc.) should be at least as stable, and rather lighter (not to say better made, and much better braked!).

P.S.: you asked for more Tricycle links? Think there's some quads there as well.

Sprocketman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that link! Wow. He has a lot of info and a very nice page. I added a link to his page immediately and sent him an email.

My next 2+ wheel bike will be a Greenspeed tadpole. I rode one at Interbike some years back and decided that it was far superior to my four wheeler. All I need is some $$ I don't know what to do with.

Which will not be helped by the fact that I ordered an Arc 4+ second today. Peter's sale is just too good to turn down. Got to find out if I am clickie material or should stick with my beloved twistie forever.

Randy