Elzetta Bravo AVS question

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theoretically a couple of 16350 should engage 900 lm mode, but how does it look like in real life? Is runtime practical or do we get some 15 min of show off at max?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, two Li-Ions makes the AVS head think it's being driven by three partially discharged CR123s. Output is probably around 800 lumens from freshly charged cells.

It's going to draw approximately 1.5 amps, and the real world capacity of RCR123s is around 550 mAh. This tells me that it'll run for about 30 minutes.....best case, if both cells discharge at the exact same rate. I wouldn't expect it to run for over 20 minutes.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, CR123s are definitely the best option when it absolutely has to work. My personal preference for general purposes is the 3400 mAh AW 18650 in a bored body. I also sometimes run a 3000 mAh AW IMR cell or a 3200 mAh NCR18650BD. There's no protection circuit to fail, and capacity is still much more than a protected 16650. The output has very noticeably dimmed long before the cell reaches 3.0 volts, indicating it's time to swap.

I haven't tortured a battery in a while, so I tested two AW RCR123s. Darkness occurred after 19 minutes and 30 seconds.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more, perhaps, stupid question: do you remember of any Elzetta sales (GB, Black Friday, whatever)? Or should I just buy it any moment as no discounts have ever been?

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell... Some morons manage their web page. I have registered and was able to enter my account only once. Since then I always get wrong password message. Tried to reset password, change web browser -- to no avail. Password always wrong... I reset it, I enter it several seconds later -- wrong password!

Idiots.

jcl

Newly Enlightened
Hi I'm kind of new on these site I also own a charlie I wonder if anyone had issues with the avs head mine went out few weeks ago the service was excellent tho

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta doesn't really do holiday, or even Black Friday, sales.

If you're not in a hurry, items come up on Amazon for flat out ridiculous prices a couple times per year. I snagged a Charlie a couple years ago, with low profile bezel and M60F drop-in and high/low tailcap, for under $59. I've read of opportunities since then, but I didn't learn of them until it was too late, and really don't have a use for any more.

Naturally, if you want the ability to run 18650s, now if the time to go to Oveready to snag a pre-bored host.

Used Elzettas are offered for sale here regularly at very attractive prices.

Feel free to ask your questions in the Elzetta - The industry's best kept secret thread. They'll likely get more visibility from those that have subscribed to it.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder as well if Elzetta has any plans to accommodate XP-L emitters. I hate that feeling: you spend money to buy something just to find out a month later that a better version has been released...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One more, perhaps, stupid question: do you remember of any Elzetta sales (GB, Black Friday, whatever)? Or should I just buy it any moment as no discounts have ever been?

I buy regular production Elzettas from Amazon sellers. Basically they are like cop stores or hunting supply stores that sell at Amazon. Authorized folks who sell lights at a little less than Elzetta themselves. My first two Alphas came from a place that had a package deal where they were 10 bux less and came with a spare battery and o-rings.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy regular production Elzettas from Amazon sellers. Basically they are like cop stores or hunting supply stores that sell at Amazon. Authorized folks who sell lights at a little less than Elzetta themselves. My first two Alphas came from a place that had a package deal where they were 10 bux less and came with a spare battery and o-rings.

I've done the same. Minor discount looked miniscule taking into account shipping and import tax expenses.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
While watching Elzetta's promotion videos payed attention to a claim: real grade III anodizing may be dark gray or black color only. If you see any other color this is NOT grade III.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
While watching Elzetta's promotion videos payed attention to a claim: real grade III anodizing may be dark gray or black color only. If you see any other color this is NOT grade III.
Which seems nonsense since Surefire showed long ago that their Natural color anodzing was Type 3, and they also showed Silver later on and so did another firm.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Alpha was released a bit more than 2 years ago, and it's now received its first LED upgrade.
The AVS head has been on the market for about three years, and it's still using the original LED.
The M60 drop-in has been on the market for a loooong time. It's still using the XR-E.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to keep a little closer on LED developments then don't go for the AVS head and just go for the D25 compatible head and find the best drop-in for you at the time. The people bying these lights don't have changing requirements so much and are not chasing the LED tech like flashaholics so yes as mentioned above things move rather slowly. If you need a tactical light it's bet to get one the closest to what you want and get a second light that can follow the LED trends... you need a backup anyway right :)