My first ever LED mod. I am dangerous now!

LightHearted

Enlightened
Hi all,

While at the dollar store I found an interesting 3 LED 2AA blinkie light. I figured it's hard to go wrong for a buck, so I bought it. Well, the yellow LEDs were pathetically dim, so I decided to see if I could do an LED transplant. Paid about $2 something for a new yellow LED from RS and hoped it would be brighter than the ones that came in the light. Don't remember the mcd - just based my choice on price. Although I had never done this before, I guessed the procedure to be pretty straight forward. Heat the solder and remove with a desoldering braid, remove the LED, then put in the new LED and resolder. Success! The replacement LED is much brighter than the originals.

ledmod.jpg

This is too much fun!

solderjob.jpg

While my solder job doesn't look all that pretty, it works fine.

Now I'm itching to see what I can do to other things I have that use LEDs. Here's where the problems will likely begin. First off, I don't know jack about electronics. I've shown myself that I can heat solder and remove it and solder in a new LED. That's about it. But man, it sure would be fun to see if I could put a set of super high output LEDs in that new Princeton Tec Aurora head lamp I just bought. The stock LEDs are kind of blue, and I'd bet that there are some 5mm white LEDs made (10,000-12,000 mcd?) that could put out more light than the stock ones. Do I dare try to do this? Of course there must be other things to consider when doing this sort of thing. Could these new LEDs require more power and somehow damage the light, or would the batteries just run down faster?

aurora_front.jpg

Anyone ever replace the LEDs in an Aurora?

aurora_inside.jpg

It doesn't look like the board is easily removed.

aurora_close.jpg

I think those blue plastic rivets keep the board into the unit

Somebody stop me before I hurt someone! Either that, or tell me how to do this right!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Thanks,
Ken

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Man - you're outta control! Lookout, next you'll be selling torches in the the B/S/T Mod Forum...get therapy quick before it's too late!

PayPal ready.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I hereby proclaim you irrevocably hooked...ain't it fun???
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

StuU

Enlightened
You might consider slowing down a little before tearing into nice light like the Aurora. Even someone with long-experience in micro-soldering could easily screw up with 3 led transplants on a tiny board.

There is a nice mod you can do with the Walmart Rayovac headlamp that is about half the price and risk. I put a cheap LS and some new white 5mm leds into the light. A fair amount of internal working room and a very useful light. LS spot and 3 led flood. Check on search for this mod.

Stu
------------------

It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
StuU said:
You might consider slowing down a little before tearing into nice light like the Aurora. Even someone with long-experience in micro-soldering could easily screw up with 3 led transplants on a tiny board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a good idea, especially since you've seen about all the experience I have when it comes to soldering. I searched for the Rayovac 3-in-1 mod and it looks like I will be bugging you guys for help with that one very soon. Thanks for the support guys.

Ken

StuU

Enlightened
I did a mod with this Rayovac. It involved replacing the incandescent bulb with a cheap luxeon 1 watt....it just screws right in. I further modified the light so that it would do the following...

Switch position 1 is 3 white leds
Switch position 2 is luxeon at about 150ma.
Switch position 3 is luxeon at full drive (doesn't overheat with just 3AAAs).
Have fun! Don't be afraid to consult back if you get stuck.

Stu

------------------------
It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say go for it. Looks to me like you unsolder the plus and minus and pry the board up off the blue pins.

In the immortal words of the guy that taught me to work on mailing machines, 'a man built it, a man can take it apart'.

Even if you foul it up good and proper, bet you get your money's worth in experience.

Doug Owen

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
those blue posts are melted and mashed to hold the board.
you may need to glue it back when you are done.
if it already has nichia leds it may be hard to improve unless you stuff a luxeon in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
KLM said:
Hi all,

While at the dollar store I found an interesting 3 LED 2AA blinkie light. I figured it's hard to go wrong for a buck, so I bought it. Well, the yellow LEDs were pathetically dim, so I decided to see if I could do an LED transplant. Paid about $2 something for a new yellow LED from RS and hoped it would be brighter than the ones that came in the light. Don't remember the mcd - just based my choice on price. Although I had never done this before, I guessed the procedure to be pretty straight forward. Heat the solder and remove with a desoldering braid, remove the LED, then put in the new LED and resolder. Success! The replacement LED is much brighter than the originals.

ledmod.jpg

This is too much fun!

solderjob.jpg

While my solder job doesn't look all that pretty, it works fine.

Now I'm itching to see what I can do to other things I have that use LEDs. Here's where the problems will likely begin. First off, I don't know jack about electronics. I've shown myself that I can heat solder and remove it and solder in a new LED. That's about it. But man, it sure would be fun to see if I could put a set of super high output LEDs in that new Princeton Tec Aurora head lamp I just bought. The stock LEDs are kind of blue, and I'd bet that there are some 5mm white LEDs made (10,000-12,000 mcd?) that could put out more light than the stock ones. Do I dare try to do this? Of course there must be other things to consider when doing this sort of thing. Could these new LEDs require more power and somehow damage the light, or would the batteries just run down faster?

aurora_front.jpg

Anyone ever replace the LEDs in an Aurora?

aurora_inside.jpg

It doesn't look like the board is easily removed.

aurora_close.jpg

I think those blue plastic rivets keep the board into the unit

Somebody stop me before I hurt someone! Either that, or tell me how to do this right!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Thanks,
Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on jumping in. The water's great, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Dude, if you can conceive it, mod it. And have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, and always writeup your results, and give us lots of photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif