OVERDRIVING A LUXEON 5 WATT

9X25

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know yet how far you can go with a 5 watt luxeon star; assuming good thermal management?

TIA,
9X25

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Constant 2 Amps with good heatsinking for ~15minutes. It was really a waste of energy but just tried it.... on a U5U Luxeon. If it blew, it was no real loss.

Pinter

Newly Enlightened
1.6A+ for 20 minutes on 6xAA NiMH (R ranked Luxeon emitter, Vf=6.48 at finishing time). Mag2D body, Lambda heatsink, without reflector, laying on the desk.
Starting with 13.2W ending with 10.46W.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.8 Amp from 2 liion 18650 with hotlips heatsink. (actually start with 2.2 amp fresh, but it is a steep curve for the first few seconds)

Lewie

Newly Enlightened
I have put up to 50 amps into a five watt and they take handle it quite well, but this was for very short periods of time (tens of microseconds). Very bright for a very short time. Anything over 56 amps and they would pretty consistently pop.

(pardon the noob, I've been reading for some time but not posting)

Lewie

Newly Enlightened
50,000 mA, yeah. ~2 kW instantaneous power dissipation. That was my old job; it was fun some times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

---
Lewie

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Blade runner

"Tyrell: The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy."