Jetbeam Jet II MK review

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam Jet II MK Review

Hey folks today we will be reviewing the Jetbeam Jet II MK these names seems to be getting longer longer!
I really wish they would just name every single flashlight completely different that would take away some of the confusion.

Gearbest sent me the Jet II MK for review. I guess we are kind of on speaking terms again after a little break.
purchase link here! if its not aloud let me know?: http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_460178.html?wid=21&lkid=10130537

Firstly a disclaimer i am biased towards Jetbeam and with a flashlight that looks as good as the Jet II MK who wouldn't be? Also add the fact that 16340/CR123 are my favorite EDC flashlights this a good combo for review. I am yet to find a CR123 for sale in a normal shop here in Australia unless Jaycar can be called a normal shop? Hopefully one day we will catch up when our stores are not so backwards! (Makes me think of Freddy got fingered when he does that backwards man dance I will insert a picture here of that lol!

Kind of kooks naked with out the clip!

Now lets start of with the packaging even though I wouldn't normally bother doing this part the packaging looks almost the same for this whole range now not a bad thing but it can kind of add to the confusion between models? I love the packaging its bright and vibrant its pretty much the same packaging I got my Jet-III pro in last year. This is the 18650 version of these range. So I can see why they have been using this packaging its going on with the family line. Plus maybe its only me that finds the names confusing?

What is included in the package?

• Jet II MK flashlight

• Clip anodized stainless steel (why anodize this clip?)

• Lanyard (It feels so soft and smooth)

• Instruction manual

• Spare O-ring

• Warranty card (now they want to send this card away with the light)

• Quality control inspection card (I had one of these in a Jet-u pack that came DOA maybe Stevie wonder works at Jetbeam?)

The Jetbeam Jet II MK is an awesome flashlight with an awesome output it has a lot of pros and a few cons. Maybe we shall run through the pros first?
The Jet II MK runs on a single 16340 which makes this flashlight super tiny which is great for EDC purpose. It also utilizes a twist to activate type switch so no accidentally turning the light on when it is stored. For me the shootout is between the jet II MK and the Jet I MK they are both similar enough so we shall compare them in this review plus I have both in front of me. Looks and style and fit wise it all comes down to personal preference would you rather an EDC that is short and fat or tall and skinny? Actually when I put it in that context i think I prefer the tall and skinny! Looking at the light it appear to be smaller then the Jet I Mk its not actually to much wider but it is a lot shorter.
This is down to the battery being used of course. These two battery types the 16340 and the 14500 clash with each a lot of times. They both give about the same capacity and both have high drain variants so how do you chose? Both these lights offer almost the same features at almost the same price? I am a bit of topic here but I am trying to break down an overall decision of my own hahaha. Sorry just bare with me for a moment please. I personally can not make up my own mind but please let me know what one you prefer?

If you consider both of these lights run of the shelf batteries and are almost identical in looks besides the size difference. Plus the Jet II has a Stainless steel bezel and an anodized stainless steel clip. Its a hard choice between the Jet II MK and the Jet I MK.

The Jet II Mk looks the same as the Jet I MK at the back end with two lanyard holes and a hole for a tripod mount that I will use a magnet hole. The jet Mk II is the same cool color as the rest of the range probably the best looking flashlights on the market currently. It uses the same Type 3 hard anodizing luckily! The Jet II Mk is made out of aircraft grade alloy the usual business you see on a flashlight of this caliper. The Jet II MK has the same knurling pattern as the Jet I this gives you enough grip to change modes single handed. I think these small twist activation flashlight have the easiest one handed operation. The Threads on the Jet II Mk are much better then the Jet I Mk they are thicker and there is more of them!

The dimensions of the Jet II MK are as follows. The Jet II weights in at a tiny 30 grams with out the battery and about 45 grams with the battery depending on your cells choice. Super light less then half the weight of an S2+. The Jet II overall length is 65mm (6.5cm) the head diameter is 21.8mm (2.18cm) in width and the tail diameter is the same coming in at 21.8mm (2.18cm) so its a symmetrical light the battery tube is a tad smaller in width.

The performance of the Jet II MK is better and it is fitted with better parts . The Jetbeam Jet II MK has a much more premium feel and look then the Jet I MK. You can see why there is a slight price difference but its not even that much it kind of feels like Jetbeam is competing with them selves.

Seems to some sort of rubber boot for protection in the head i will try and get a better picture soon.

Specs wise I think the Jet II MK does really well. It utilizes a the latest technology Cree XPL-HI alright I will settle down lol. The XPL-HI is not that new but still newer then using a XPG2 or XML2. Which would have been a cheaper option considering this light is still a dedicated flood light. The XPL-HI still cost more then most other emitters besides the multiple core emitters. We also see this design in the Rofis TR20 where a XPLHI is being used in a flood type flashlight. If you want to cut cost usually the emitter will be one of the first parts changed. The Jet II MK gives you a max output of 510 lumen on high mode. It is defiantly brighter then the Jet I MK you can see the difference just by visual inspection

To help with extra lumens MORE POWERRR!!! The jet II Mk comes with AR coated glass that is also seen on the Jet I Mk but unlike the Jet I MK the Jet II MK is using a textured OP reflector. Where as the Jet I Mk uses a SMO reflector funnily enough its my EDC and I forgot what type of reflector it is using. Between the Jet II MK and the Jet I MK the reflector are similar in length so I should say deepness wise the jet I Mk may just beat by a few millimeters. The Jet II MK defiantly has a wider reflector but once again by only a few millimeters so the throw numbers are similar between the two.
I think the XPG2 and its Smaller die size makes the throw good in the Jet I Mk also helped by the fact that it is using an SMO reflector.

Naturally the Jet II MK could have made a really good pocket thrower if Jetbeam would have opted to use a SMO reflector. I am guessing that the spill would have been fairly narrow so they opted for this route to use the textured reflector. With the Jet II Mk you get a total of 138 meters throw which is equal to 4800cd so as you could imagine the beam is fairly floody. You mainly get the throw numbers from there choice of emitter using a XPL-HI. No complaints here its probably my favorite emitter well I am currently stuck on the fence between the XPLHI and the XPG3 I love the pricing of the XPG3s.

[
The Jetbeam Jet II MK offers 4 modes the highest mode offers an output of 510 lumen. Which is a good choice for an EDC flashlight. It should be more then enough light for most people. There are other options out there if you want more light from a small EDC. Generally this is the mark to be at i personally feel this output offers the best of both worlds. This region means you get a good amount of light and a good amount of run time. The light shouldn't get to hot to handle or touch this also means Jet II MK shouldn't step down after a few seconds like other lights do! Yes its great to have big output numbers but what is the point if you can not use it?

High mode

Jetbeam states that the Jet II MK has a thermal step down well they do not say in those words. That is in my words! They say the light will step down to 65% brightness of high mode when the Jet II gets to hot. Then to get the output back up to high mode you need to twist the head to change modes back to high. Sounds kind of confusing the way Jetbeam explains it hahaha! Obviously if the light is still to hot it will keep on stepping down. It took me 5 minutes on High mode to get the light to step down mind you this is on a 23 degree Celsius night. Unless your from Darwin this is a hot night in Australia. I have a friend from Darwin she once told me she had to wear a jumper when it was 26 degrees I would be sweating balls at that temp!

Mode selection on the Jetbeam jet MK II is good you get a good choice of modes. Not personally my favorite choice. To me it feels like it is spaced like a mad man in some sense. Let me show you what I mean.

• High mode: 510 lumen @ 0.75 hours

• Medium mode: 100 lumen @ 1.5 hours

• Low mode: 5 lumen @ 3 hours

• Ultra low/Moon light 0.5 lumen @ 150 hours

As you can see the modes are targeted more towards overall run times on the Jet II MK. I am a bit up in the clouds with this mode selection I wouldn't mind so much if the Jet II MK had memory mode! Why oh why Jetbeam why take away memory function? The memory mode functions works so good on the Jet I Mk. So I do not understand why you would remove that feature? How useful is 0.5 lumen to me when I want to find my keys? How useful is 5 lumen when I drop some thing in the car under the seat at night? Well probably some what useful actually but I would prefer 30 lumen for that task.
Mode selection is a personal preference and personally I will hardly ever use moonlight mode. This by its self isn't a deal breaker because 5 lumens is enough for me to open up the front door. If I would like to look around my yard 5 lumens isn't enough light! So I have to twist the head 3 times to get to the 100 lumen mode. Which I would have to do with other lights either way but I have always said when you have a twisty flashlight it needs to have a memory function. I can not go back on my word! Luckily it is easy enough to twist the Jet II MK with one hand the clip can get in the way if you are using the clip.

The way Jetbeam designed the clip is silly it is not really to long for the light but it doesn't as such match the Jet II MK. The clip is probably the right length to hold the light steady so it doesn't fall of when you are wearing the Jet II MK. But it is sitting against the head of the flashlight and touching the knurling so every time you turn the light on and off and change modes it rubs. How long until the anodizing wears out? This is the real reason why Jetbeam gives you a stainless steel clip and then anodizes it! Lets look at the facts the jet I Mk and the Jet-u both have stainless steel clips that are none anodized! But this clip they had to anodize or else it would instantly scratch your light.
I would of prefer a none anodized clip on the Jet II MK it would have looked so good matching the stainless steel bezel. That would have been the icing on the cake!

This placement of the clip and head could be a problem in the future

Other features are the same between these two lights the Jet II Mk offers a IPX8 rating to 2 meters underwater. The Jet II MK has the highest drop proof rating of this ranger from Jetbeam. Coming in at 2 meters drop resistant which makes this light a great choice for EDC purpose. This is also double of the what the Jet-u and Jet I Mk offer!

Overall the Jet II Mk is a great multipurpose EDC flashlight it is smaller enough for any one to carry and not feel weighted down. You will never feel like the Jet II is to bulky and sticking out of your pocket. The output is more then enough for a light of its size. The no memory mode is a bit of bummer but not a complete deal breaker. It is a flashlight you can show people who are none flashaholics and they will think it looks nice. My mates see this flashlight and as questions because they like the way they look. It stands out as premium light at a none premium price! Plus if you love moon light modes this should defiantly be number one on your list!

Ultra low AKA Moonlight mode

Low mode 5 lumen about 3 meters from the door. Added help of over exposure!

Medium mode 100 lumens seems a tad brighter? The tint is a tad cold in this photo! About 10 meters to the tree!

High mode normal angle at the normal position 15 meters to tree!

High mode 100 meters to the tree.

Jet II MK left and Jet I MK right

Jet II MK left and WK21 right

Jet II MK medium mode left and Jet-u right

[
If you got all the way here thank you! This has been an extremely long review coming in at 2500 words but I really enjoyed writing this article I had my fair amount of things to say so it was one of the easier pieces to write. I hope you at least slightly enjoyed reading this review.

Regards Chris

Last edited:

firsttothescene

Enlightened
Nice light, but i took off the clip because, like you stated, it rubs on the light when turning on/changing modes.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the review. The JET - I MK has a memory? I like that better.

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aren't runtimes on low and med a bit short?

For a light that can do 500+(with stepdown) for .75hr,
5 lumens for 3hr and 100 lumens for 1.5hr is IMHO very short.

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Yea i would say so but i haven't had a chance to test them yet sorry. Its Jetbeam responsibility to get there run times right. I do not know how you stuff that up. Maybe they cut and copied the run times?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a bit up in the clouds with this mode selection I wouldn't mind so much if the Jet II MK had memory mode! Why oh why Jetbeam why take away memory function? The memory mode functions works so good on the Jet I Mk. So I do not understand why you would remove that feature? How useful is 0.5 lumen to me when I want to find my keys? How useful is 5 lumen when I drop some thing in the car under the seat at night? Well probably some what useful actually but I would prefer 30 lumen for that task.
Mode selection is a personal preference and personally I will hardly ever use moonlight mode.

I agree with that assessment. Before I rip on the Jet II MK's output spacing let me just say I absolutely love the tint and beam pattern on the Jet II MK with the XP-L, HI. That is the only thing that is keeping me from selling this light after trying one out for a month. It's the mode spacing that has me bummed.

I picked up the Jet I MK first and loved it, so I bought a couple more since the price to value was so good. The Jet I MK has excellent low-med-high mode spacing in my opinion and I think the mode memory is real bonus. You just don't find memory on twisty lights.

So I had to try out the Jet II MK. I have a data logging light meter and light box setup and so can approximate lumens pretty close. The Jet I MK's output specs are pretty close to what I measured on all 5 of my Jet I's......except one had a sub lumen low and I returned it and got it replaced.

The Jet II MK specs are 0.5-5-100-510 lumens.
The one I got was 0.16-6-174-602 lumens. (16340 battery)

Here is my beef. The low is too low........lower than their 0.5 lumen spec. (I'm not a moonlight mode kind of guy as it is). 3 lumens would have been perfect. So pretty much every time I turn it on it's a double twist for me. Then the next level up all the way to 174 lumens :( ? 30 to 60 lumens would have been more useful. Max output was an incredible 600 lumens for me. Not sure how long it would hold that level. But that too is kind of a useless mode for this size of light. This small light gets hot fast. I just don't see the point of it with a small 16340 battery.......sucks the battery down fast. I have plenty of other 18650 lights for that sort of thing.

If it would have been something like 3-50-300 lumens I would have been very happy. As it is there are basically two useable modes for me......the two middle modes.

I find myself using the Jet I MK more than the Jet II MK.

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Yea i agree i like to EDC the 16340 lights more then any other light. I done my test and got about the same i use ceiling bounce test and i got 37 lux the medium is 60=1000 lumens it is brighter compared to the 32 lux from the Jet I MK. Before these lights my EDC was the xtar WK21 it is a twisty and has memory mode but the mode spacing on that light is good. I bought my me and best mate the Jet I MK it is good value.

It is interesting that Ultra low is so low on the Jet II MK. Thank you for posting your results!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Jetbeam had the best ui in the world with the magnetic adjustment wheel. I wish they would return to it. It was the only thing that made them special

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
I got a really good price on this light PM me if you want the details! The Jet II MK is under MAP so i can not share the details here! This deal makes it hard top chose between the Jet II MK and the Jet I Mk

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam had the best ui in the world with the magnetic adjustment wheel. I wish they would return to it. It was the only thing that made them special
Well their anodizing is one of the best. I'm curious in general though why the ring selectors are actually used less these days across all manufacturers. I suspect because of manufacturing costs and maybe quality control/assembly costs. I would have thought they would become very prevalent in multi-level lights.

I run mine on Primary and the Ultra low seems to match spec or is a little higher, I don't need it though so I wish it was gone as more than 3 levels in a twisty is to much unless your the type of person that likes mode-memory and primarily uses the one memorized level. However, strange as it is this light does not have mode-memory unlike it's little brother or baby brother. I wonder if that was a later addition as the manual for the u makes it look like it was kind of a last minute addition. Now I'm not really a big fan of mode memory in a twisty, but it is one way to solve the issue about what level to start at and I think it's OK in the AAA u. I just wish it was harder to set the memory level so it would not be changed if you needed Hi for a while.

I guess medium level could be a bit lower, but it's not bad on primary and maybe it saves having to go to high as often so in the end saves battery life. No idea since it won't be my EDC and only individual long term use could answer that question.

Still if you get it for a good price (watch for sales) I think this is a good light, but many on the forums won't find it unique enough to justify adding it to their collection unless they are just starting with small CR123A lights.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know. I was about to order one because it was cheap but I think I'll pass on the Jet II MK.
Normally the choice between two similar models would come down to which battery you prefer to use. And of course with a 16340 battery vs a 1.5v AA cell, the output can be driven harder on the Jet II MK. However in this situation between these two models, for me it comes down to a practical output. Light manufacturers like to promote how bright their lights are. But that only comes at a cost of battery run time. The max stated output on the Jet II MK is really bright but is an impractical output for a battery this small. Since these lights are small (one with singe AA and the other single 16340 or CR123A), I think it more practical to have a level around 2 or 3 lumens like the Jet I MK and a next level up of around 30 to 50 lumens. We have to remember that our eyes see brightness from a logarithmic standpoint. In other words 30 lumens will only look twice as bright as 3 lumens (not 10 times brighter) and it is a good proportional step up from low.

And so that is where the Jet I MK comes in. I think the Jet II MK can have its usefulness such as a nightstand light with the moon mode and its super bright mode in the event of intruder as those levels will only be used for a short duration. If I was trail hiking in the dark, I'd prefer the Jet I MK since the run time on the medium mode is almost 12 hours (I measured 707 minutes with a freshly charged 2000mAh Eneloop).

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
just upgraded my 47's Mini ML 123 to this and it's kind of an upgrade. The build quality is better. It gains a moon mode and the 'turbo' mode is greater.

what a neat device. An ideal candidate for EDC. IME, it works best on a lanyard.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my beef. The low is too low........lower than their 0.5 lumen spec. (I'm not a moonlight mode kind of guy as it is). 3 lumens would have been perfect. So pretty much every time I turn it on it's a double twist for me. Then the next level up all the way to 174 lumens :( ? 30 to 60 lumens would have been more useful. Max output was an incredible 600 lumens for me. Not sure how long it would hold that level. But that too is kind of a useless mode for this size of light. This small light gets hot fast. I just don't see the point of it with a small 16340 battery.......sucks the battery down fast. I have plenty of other 18650 lights for that sort of thing.

If it would have been something like 3-50-300 lumens I would have been very happy. As it is there are basically two useable modes for me......the two middle modes.

I kind of agree about the 3-50-300 mode layout. That would have been my preference as well. However in their defense, I think this is the reasoning.

Both the moonlight mode and the 'turbo' 500-lumen mode are emergency modes.

The moonlight mode emergency is when you get stuck in a mine or something else extended of that nature, for hours or days. Then the moonlight mode becomes exactly what you need.

The turbo 500 lumen mode is another type of emergency, say you are attacked on the streets or by a wild animal, or something of that nature and you want max lumens for the next 2 minutes. You do not care about runtime. On Turbo, it looks like a cop light or a tactical light and punches above its grade if only for a short time. And it's ready accessible in your pocket, small enough to EDC.

Having said that, I do not believe it actually does 500 lumens and if it does, then it quickly throttles to something manageable, like 300 lumens. The jump between high and Turbo, if you well, is not that great. I get it about perception and logarithmic view but still.

I think my ideal mode design would also be pretty close to what you have, 1, or 2-3 lumens (low) / 10 lumens (medium) / 200-300 lumens (high). Mainly I would want an hour on high. And a gazillion hours on low.

Another reason for uber ultra low moonlight mode is when you need to be discreet such as in a tactical situation. You want the least light that can still aid in map reading or navigation. It accomplishes that, although I agree that 4 modes is too many, 3 would have been just right.