Duty Use: Streamlight Strion HL vs. Streamlight Strion

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

I have a Streamlight Strion HL for duty use and I love the size and features. The only problem is I feel it may be too powerful, which also translates into shorter battery life. I know I can dim it, but that initial bLast of light is pretty bright at 500 lumens.

I was thinking about picking up the normal Strion LED. For those of you who have either one or both, what do you think? Is the HL too much? Should I go for the normal one?

Thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a similar ProTac HL and a 165 lumen Strion.

I'm not in law enforcement, but do use mine for survival type scenarios.

The HL is great when you need a bunch of light at once. With the lower output Strion you get about the same throw without getting all those lumens close up in the spill.

Ok, so you need to light up a warehouse, the HL is great for that. If you need to spot a bad guy at 75 yards the lower output Strion throws the spot that far but the narrower spill lends a hand at preserving your night adapted vision so you can light in short bursts see-ing/blinding your target while in near darkness you are still able to navigate in stealth mode. You are also less of a target in urban situations as the lower output flashlight does not light you up.

And on a foggy night or in smoke, the difference is outstanding. The lower output accels there too. The pencil spot drills through the molecules seemingly better. Actually it does not but the lack of all that bright spill of the lower output keeps all those close up molecules from being lit up like the whopping spill of the HL does.

In my view the 165 lumen Strion was the best one for tactical scenarios.

Trouble is the runtime isn't some whopping difference.

I like the ProTac HL4 ten tap'd to l/m/h and use the 60 and 600 the most from its frosted lens. The 2200 lumen high is super bright. A bit larger than a Stinger, the beauty of the frosted lens is you won't be blinded by your own light. And the 600 lumens runs like 4 hrs. It uses 2 rechargeables or 4 primaries.

Welcome to the site!!! :wave:

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone!

I have a Streamlight Strion HL for duty use and I love the size and features. The only problem is I feel it may be too powerful, which also translates into shorter battery life. I know I can dim it, but that initial bLast of light is pretty bright at 500 lumens.

I was thinking about picking up the normal Strion LED. For those of you who have either one or both, what do you think? Is the HL too much? Should I go for the normal one?

Thanks!

What sort of 'Duty' are you intending to use it for?

Why not just get a Surefire G2X, or similar, as a back up to your larger light which you can also use when you don't want to use the blast of 500 lumens?

Nephron44

Enlightened
What sort of 'Duty' are you intending to use it for?

Why not just get a Surefire G2X, or similar, as a back up to your larger light which you can also use when you don't want to use the blast of 500 lumens?

Law enforcement, standard stuff. I have a Surefire G2x, but those batteries are so expensive! I like the idea of rechargeable for a light that sees a lot of use. I carry a G2x LE for my EDC light along with a Surefire EB1.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Law enforcement, standard stuff. I have a Surefire G2x, but those batteries are so expensive! I like the idea of rechargeable for a light that sees a lot of use. I carry a G2x LE for my EDC light along with a Surefire EB1.

You can run your Surefire's on 16650 rechargables.

arKmm

Enlightened
As Dave suggested. Get a Keeppower 16650 2500mAh cell and that'll fit in a G2X.

I'm LEO and do just that in my G2X LE.