I´ve finally seen the light - got TWAK´ed

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all the hype around the 3W emitters, namely TWAKs and such, I just had to try it myself - then I finally got some TWAK stars at a too high price locally in germany.

The other day I modded a OA3D using the stock reflector and some hotlips/rothrandir inspired heatsink driven off 3 D-sized Nimhs - drawing ~ 1.3A and BRIGHT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Today I put the old slightly blue/green LD emitter (resistored @ 0.5Ohm) and NX05 off my (t)rusty Brinkmann 3AA and put a TWAK and Fraen LP and 3 2300ma Sanyos Nimhs in there - very nice and bright as well - drawing ~ 1.3A too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now the OA2D with 3 C-sized NiMh is next on the list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I know, quite boring but I just had to post, at least I didn´t broke anything (yet) in this round /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Klaus

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats Klaus! I've yet to see the light, but hopefully the lux3 group buy will let me see what everyone has been raving about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dropped one of Dat2zip's MM+WO TWAK sandwiches into a Firefly (single 123 batt) using the existing turned -down NX05 and it's very impressive to say the least - great throw, white and bright.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klaus, the TWAKs are not bad, aren't they? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mr HG said:
yeah, where? I want some too.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Sprout said:
Where abouts in Germany did you get the TWAKs?

[/ QUOTE ]

LED-SHOP24

Klaus

alexgian

Newly Enlightened
Klaus,

Where do you find the binning info on their website? or you have to contact them to get the info -hope not, my German stinks...-

Thanks!

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
No binning info - lucky Klaus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sometimes not so lucky - today I screwed up the TWAK in the 3AA - it wasn´t perfectly centered so I was trying hard to center it until finally the emitter came loose - hmmh - seems my first-time AS trials weren´t as successful after all. But OK - I re-AS-ed the emitter and measured only some measely 250ma current flow when DD-ing off the three AA cells - in the end after too much time spent on the little beast I finally gave up and even with 250ma the TWAK is still nice and bright. I think I damaged SOMETHING inside the emitter as I´m measuring some high-resistance between the anode/cathode of the emitter even when nothing is connected to it - so it looks like something went bad inside the emitter - probably from too much soldering heat or mechanical stress when the optic were turned down repeatedly on it - no idea - but I finally gave up - and I don´t think its some short from the AS as with everything removed from the leads there was nothing measurable from the leads to anywhere else - except between the leads I had some MegaOhm connection - oh yeah - one down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Klaus

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
I just finished my PR-T with DB1000 and TWAK from Elektrolumens and I think it sucks. Well, actually "only" the LED colour but it makes me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Did anyone have the same experience? I have a R2K in my L1 which is much whiter, but clearly inferior to the L4 of a friend.
Brightness is at least equal to my G2 with an impressive spot.

jtice

Flashaholic
I had 3 TWAKS, they alll vary in color.
On the blue side,,, but I thought they were very nice.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mister T said:
I just finished my PR-T with DB1000 and TWAK from Elektrolumens and I think it sucks. Well, actually "only" the LED colour but it makes me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To what colour does it tend ? I think the TWAK have a name for being very white, sometimes slightly blue/HID-ish - the one I screwed up was a little warmer - but all are very nice - so this would be the first TWAK I heard off to be that bad - how does it look like - beam shots ?

Klaus

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
The colour tint is blue. I just did a quick beamshot of the PR-T with TWAK on the left, L1 with R2 and Fraen Low-Profile in the middle and a IMO quite "good" KL1 (the best one out of three I have seen). Unfortunately, the hotspots are a bit overexposed. Because of that the TWAK appears whiter than it really is.

[EDIT: I removed the beamshot because it didn't show how the colour tint appears in reality.]

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at that beamshot I have to admit it really DOES SUCK - so why not just sent the whole thing to me and I will take care it gets disposed properly - but no kidding here - this beamshot looks just georgeous IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three stage Dimmer add-on for OADs !

Just upgraded this 3D-TWAK mod with a dimmer - WOHOOO

The part is a plug-in which gives 3 brightness levels selected by the standard Mag switch - I measured 1A, ~ 500ma, and 250ma current on the three settings.

GREAT ADD-ON !!

Klaus

chrisse242

Enlightened
Re: Three stage Dimmer add-on for OADs !

Hey Klaus, I can't see any pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif There should at least be some beamshots of the three different modes.
For me, I'm not a fan of D-sized lights and would love to have a feature like this in an 2x123 sized light. I guess someone has to find a way to get rid of the five-mm-leds of the nuwai xenergy AL606, put a 3W-luxeon in it and use the switch for three brightness settings.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

At least here´s a pic of the dimmer

ag01001-.jpg

Need to provide beamshots later

Klaus

chrisse242

Enlightened

Doesn't look like self-made. Where did you get this?

Chrisse

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Globetrotter

Simply insert the only 5 mm thick dimmer disk
after the last monocell to obtain sensational
results without further installation:

The normal function of the flashlight with bright light
and 100 % energy consumtion continues.

If the flashlight when switched on with bright
light is switched off and on again within a second, it
lights up in an initial dimmed Stage with approximately
60 % energy consumption.

If the flashlight when switched on with dimmed light
of the initial Stage is switched off and on again within
a second, it lights up in a second dimmed Stage with
approximately 35 % energy consumpcion.

The flashlight can be immediately switched back
from any dimmer Operation to bright light and vice-versa.

Works like a charm in my DD TWAK OA3D - it DOES insert some little resistance even when in 100% ful mode and drops voltage by approximately 0.1V resulting in a somewhat lower current draw of ~ 1A instead of 1.2A with partly depleted cells - have to test with fresh cells too though - so far I have no problem with this 1A current limiting - if I REALLY want full power I can still take it out - but to my eye there isn´t a big difference or brightness loss anyway.

Klaus