Fenix CL30R review

narmattaru

Enlightened
I consider that there is not a lot of good camping lanterns. At the bottom of price range there is 3-4$ cheap clones of Suboos (ok for their price, to be frank), then come some original models in different form-factor, and then comes Fenix with it`s CL.

Last summer I got 25R. That product really impressed me with good build quality and a lot of light compressed in small size of lantern.

I was lucky to get 30R from local Fenix dealer. I suppose you are interested in review of 30R, so I decided to translate mine Russian text into English.

Here is product page at Fenix website

SPECIFICATION

20160614094426_2972.jpg

*in max mode beam reaches 35m diameter;
*1\2\3 18650 poweered;
*powerbank feature;
*micro-USB charging port;
*IPX-7 waterproof;
*tripod mount;

PACKAGE

30 is packed into good-looking box.
8ad83a.jpg

61a082.jpg

30R comes along with

*micro-usb cable.
*3 protected 2600mah 18650 batteries (ARB-L18-2600)
*warranty card
*manual
*spare o-ring
971e5a.jpg

e47b24.jpg

SIZE

And yes, that lantern is a way larger than 25r
136mm height x 93mm diameter, 412 \551g weight (without\with batteries)

7ffb2c.jpg

4c1a66.jpg

838ef2.jpg

83b7d2.jpg

But this is relative, 30R is obviously less than gas lamps
52289a.jpg

So I suppose that makes 30R camping light rather than touristic. There is no use of dragging such a barrel on your backpack, when usually people struggle for each gramm of weight of equipment. 25R for considerably smaller size will provide with decent light instead.

And as camping light, when you carry all the stuff in car, there is no such a problem.

I`m glad that Fenix fixed minor disadvantage of 25R – for it`s cylindrical shape there was a dark spot right under the lantern`s bottom. Now upper part of 30R is slightly wider then bottom and some light comes downward, which is useful for hanging lantern.
e87e59.jpg

30R almost completely made of plastic, with light diffusor as a biggest part of.

Battery compartmentcap is located on the top of lantern, and has wide threads
Though I didn`t see lubrication there (which I quickly added), cap moves on threads smooth, without any troubles.

73d15c.jpg

be0e3d.jpg

785185.jpg

And here we see that manufacturer (as we Russian says "brought us a pork") made a totally unfriendly act. Fenix decided that 30R don`t have to support flat-top batteries. For me, personally, that is really uncool.

48b015.jpg

8085e3.jpg

All my 18650 are all flat-top. I understand reason of this, Fenix wants to earn extra bucks with selling it`s batteries. C`mon , you can earn more money by selling more CL30R itself, just by decreasing price of no-batteries-included version.

But honest offer would be to make 2 variants : with or without batteries included, for those who already have ones. In last case 30r will cost less, but it makes product more available. So, I believe, that`ll have only effect positive effect in form of more lantern sold.

What have I done? I took some small magntet, attached them to my Panasonic-Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mah.
ec85f4.jpg

And of course, another conlusion of this "button-top only" is the fact that lantern have springs only in cap. There are no springs in bottom.

By the cap there are 4 green light indicators:
1 is for battery level about 35%.
2 are for 36-60%.
3 are fore 61-85%.
all 4 show that battery level is more than 85%.

251528.jpg

40703f.jpg

All the indicators turn off automatically after 8 seconds. If battery level reaches point of "ready to turn off" they all atart to blink.

30R equipped with neutral white LEDs hidden behind thick plastic diffusor.
Last one is tightly connected with top and bottom parts without any tiny slit. Impressively solid construction. Of course there is no chance to disassemble it.
b9d3d9.jpg

Input\output USB slots are hidden at the bottom.
b9d3d9.jpg

e7fb37.jpg

Max charging current that i`ve noticed was about 1.15-1.17А
13b05a.jpg

In powerbank mode, CL30R gave about 3400-3500 mah with 1A current (with cable included in package) and all it`s 3 batteries were discharged to 3.3v. After this 30R worked in Low (50lum) for about extra 2.5-3 hours.

On the opposite side from USB-sockets, there is only one bottom which runs 30R.
aecc81.jpg

And there is also tripod mount.

2148c6.jpg

Lantern stays firmly vertically. It`ll take a good punch to flipp it on its side

So, in this part everything is cool, except "button-top only"

UI.

Incredibly simple.
ON\OFF – press button for about 1 sec
For switching brightnesses just press button.
When light is on, just press button twice and enter flash-mode.

When being charged, 30R works only in mid mode (also even without batteries, so you can connect it to powerbank)

There is mode memory

To check battery level quickly press button

HOW IT WORKS

In high\turbo lantern produces enough light to highlight big room or tent.
My luxmeter has shown these numbers from 1m distance 0/2/12/63/116 lux.

koridor_2.gif

kitchen.gif

With lanter powered with Fenix 2600mah, I was so surpised to see that stepdown from turbo to high took place not after 5-10 minutes, but after about 1.5h! (see video). For that period you`ll get a lot of comfortable neutral white light. That is really cool.

And I must admit that even 200 lumen of high mode in Fenix 24R was ok for me, for 4x3 meters room. And here is 650 with stepdonw to 350.

Next stepdown is afer 6 hours (still bright, I think it is 100 lum mode) and then after 7 hours (I assume that there was 50 lum mode). I woke up and found lantern still working. After 3-4 hours I decided to turn it off. Voltage on batteries was about 3.3.

There is NO PWM shimmering in any mode.

OVERALL

This barrel of light is good even with some dislikes.

+bright
+lots of modes
+outlook and well-biuld
+powerbank feature.
+good runtime when powered with 3 batteries.
+ no PWM shimmering

-price
-doesn`t support flat-top аккумов (there is simple decision)
-no moonlight mode in orange of 0.3-2 lum, so there is no chance to use 30r as a nightlight
-no red light mode.
-not available without batteries.

What i`d add.
1) red light. Cheap improvement that is really useful.
2) i would like to see lug (I hope this is a proper word for that stuff at the top of light) for hanging, doubled in bottom. that may have sense when user want to hang lantern between 2 ropes, horizontally. Also cheap improvement.
3) and in this case half of light will just waste, going upward. So may be there will be useful to have an opportunity to switch off 1\2 of lantern. So only one will shine downward, and other one will be turned off. I hope you understand what I mean.
4) I`m also seriously sure that adding moonlight mode + red mode a necessary addition. They`ll be su useful as nightlight. Cheap, cheap improvement as well.
5) Adding one more contact plate pait in the middle will have a result in form of – lantern will also support 26650. And if Fenix make lantern about 1.5 cm wider, it may take even 3x26650. That`ll increase runtime sooo much.
9e7e78.jpg

7) Hey, Fenix, please, add small hook like this to package. It`s s not that easy to attach lanter to anything that hasn`t free end. Like this drier for example.
3374e4.jpg

8) May be stepless light regulation?

i`ll be glad to answer your question and read your opinion and suggestion. Feedback from targer audience is likely to be heard by manufacturer.

Last edited:

Barabus

Newly Enlightened
Just bought one of these and agree with your review. Nice light that needs a v2. Thank you for the review. Prefer my Fenix CL25r to be truthful.

narmattaru

Enlightened
25is OK for some occasion, when you need bright light and small size lantern to carry with you.

but when it comes to big runtime or to highlight large area, 30R is a good choice. but it still need some minor improvements that`ll male it perfect, as 25R is.

camelight

Newly Enlightened
This look very nice but i agree with you it's need moonlight and red modes as they are very helpful sometimes
Using 3 26650 is amazing idea
Have to say i realy want yo see a single 26650 lantern it will have better runtime than a single 18650 but not much bigger it would be perfect
I have the streamlight siege running on 3 c batteries it is pretty heavy but amazing runtime 300lm for 30 hours!
But the 650lm of tje 30r is great for bigger areas

Have to ask dose is blinding? I have a lot of glare out of any lantern so 650lm must be blinding

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really seems like a nice piece of gear but for me, a cool white camping lantern is a huge turn off. Cool white lightning is a mood killer for outside ambiance.

narmattaru

Enlightened
no, that is not cool white. that is a neutral white (but tint is closer to colder part of spectrum rather than to warmer)

anyway, i spend some time in kitchen with 30R hagning above, as a light source - no discomfort at all.

Fenix manager wrote that she had passed my suggestions to product manager, hope they`ll be taken into account in next version.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
That's cool. I have the other 2 Fenix lanterns so don't need this right now but thanks for taking the time to provide the excellent content for CPF!

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really seems like a nice piece of gear but for me, a cool white camping lantern is a huge turn off. Cool white lightning is a mood killer for outside ambiance.

no, that is not cool white. that is a neutral white (but tint is closer to colder part of spectrum rather than to warmer)

It was ALWAYS neutral correct? They didn't make it cool white then change it did they? I just want to be confident that if I buy it off Amazon i don't have to worry about any pre-modded versions. I camp about 5 times a year and I was thinking the same thing I hope it isn't blinding.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was ALWAYS neutral correct? They didn't make it cool white then change it did they? I just want to be confident that if I buy it off Amazon i don't have to worry about any pre-modded versions. I camp about 5 times a year and I was thinking the same thing I hope it isn't blinding.

Well, Fenix does not states it's a neutral white lantern, which leads me to say it's cool white. As an example, the CL20 is mentioned as being neutral, not the CL30R. It might not be a blue-purpleish tint of led but I'm quite sure you can't see any hint of warm tint to it.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had this lantern since the release and have used it quite a lot. Last weekend in a dark cellar crawl space and a dark attic for several hours at a time. I would classify it as a comfortable to the eyes warm light. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other reviewers as well as this one have said although it is neutral, it is definitely towards the cool side of neutral and is cooler then the CL25R. The CL25R is already cooler then the CL20 for reference. I wish companies would make their lanterns warm white or at least towards the warm side of neutral as I personally feel it is far better for most lantern applications. There is a reason why most people use 2700-3000K in their bedside table and living room lights.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had this lantern since the release and have used it quite a lot. Last weekend in a dark cellar crawl space and a dark attic for several hours at a time. I would classify it as a comfortable to the eyes warm light. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Are you also referring to the 650 lumen turbo mode when you say that it's comfortable to the eyes?

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a picture of the 2nd level on the CL30R and my 4000 HDS which as we all know is warm! I turned the HDS up to match the brightness of CL30R

The diffusor is the Fenix...a great addition to any HDS.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a picture of the 2nd level on the CL30R and my 4000 HDS which as we all know is warm! I turned the HDS up to match the brightness of CL30R

The diffusor is the Fenix...a great addition to any HDS.

It's hard to tell from the picture. The HDS definitely looks warmer. How much cooler is the CL30R if you had to guess? A couple different reviews have said it's to the cool side of the neutral white spectrum. So like 5000k or a bit warmer?

Last edited:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to tell from the picture. The HDS definitely looks warmer. How much cooler is the CL30R if you had to guess? A couple different reviews have said it's to the cool side of the neutral white spectrum. So like 5000k or a bit warmer?

4500-5000 is my guess. All I can say is, if someone needs a lantern and they are shying away from this one because they think its too cool.....might be a mistake.

Latest posts