How is the copper colored on Olight smini. PVD?

snowman3

Newly Enlightened
For those that have bought one or know about them, how do the colored copper Smini look/feel?
Does the copper color show through after being nicked and scratched? Similar to black anodized aluminum.

https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight/smini-baton.html

Website says PVD but maybe that is just for the Ti Rainbow?
Is there a point/advantage to making it out of copper then somehow coating or coloring the surface? (as opposed to making it an aluminum body).

Joemaro95

Newly Enlightened
It's not pvd coated. It's solid copper. The bezels around the switch and lens are pvd coated. I have only carried it for a couple days so I can't speak on durability just yet.

7736193bdfb94896f62fc9d7fb7d3bda.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Website says PVD...
Is there a point/advantage to making it out of copper then somehow coating or coloring the surface?

There are 3 copper models and 3 Titanium models, they both offer PVD.

Olight S-Mini CU
"The limited edition S Mini Baton Copper, powered by one CR123A battery, available in various finishes and colors : raw copper, rose gold and black."

Also available as : Olight S Mini Titanium ( Polished, Bead Blasted and Rainbow PVD )

In the Copper Line, Raw is uncoated Copper, RoseGold is PVD over copper, and Black is PVD over copper,
In the Titanium line, the Rainbow finish is PVD over Titanium.

Some people dislike the tarnished look of copper, and the smell on their hands from handling it. Rose Gold is a way to get a copper look, that stays shiny, and does not smell. However, Copper kills germs, PVD does not.

More copper germicidal info links in this thread.

Copper is more Efficient than Titanium, for conducting both heat and electricity. Copper will warm up evenly and dissipate heat more quickly. Titanium traps heat, one end of a Titanium light will stay cooler and the other end will get hotter. The hot end of a Ti light will get hotter than on a Copper model.

In the post below, the copper light has 50% longer runtime on High.
The Titanium runtime is 33 minutes, the Copper gets 50 minutes.

Some interesting findings were made especially in the highest mode. The Ti seems very inefficient compared to the Copper. The problem lies in the driver or the titanium body, since the copper version works well with the electronic tailcap from the Ti.
UnVnBwK.jpg

The copper version is … heavier at 34 g vs. 23 g for the Ti.

VrWC0ew.png

r0oAQm0.png

Copper tool also is significantly more efficient at high. It produces 70 % more total lumen hours on high. On mid the difference is gone. Without a cooling fan the Ti overheats and starts flashing the output at 12 minutes. Copper works much better because of its higher mass and heat conductivity.

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other nice thing about copper is that threads tend to feel smoother on a copper twisty and of course unscrewing a switchable copper light to replace a battery is smoother too. Smoothest twisties I've got are the original infamous Doug Speck (guy who ripped off a lot of CPF members) Firefly II and III's.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
love mine! For some reason it is even brighter than my S1A like obviously and clearly brighter I don't know why but am not going to complain. I love the extra weight of the copper it feels very very solid as a result. Even the copper on the inside of the head is polished!