Fenix E25 switch blows up?

thefitter

Newly Enlightened
Anybody ever hear of the E25 switches blowing up? I'm a plumber and I've had this flashlight for a couple of years. I use it almost everyday, it sits in my upper bib pocket. This morning I'm sitting at my desk when we hear a loud POP! Everyone in the office was startled. I realized it came from some where under my chin so I pulled out the flashlight. I thought maybe I left it on and I blew out the lens. But it was the switch. The small plastic plunger was blown out the rubber switch cover. I checked the batteries and the inside of the light but there is no corrosion or damage that I can see. The rubber is not worn, there is only a diagonal slice where the plunger was forced out. I goggled this issue but could not find anything online so I called Fenix. I have to send it to Arkansas for inspection. So I'm out a work light for at least a week.

2ev7nd5.jpg

Can anyone recommend a better replacement?

ven

Flashaholic
Bummer, not seen it before on this light...........seen a few nitecores with the issue though. What cells out of interest where inside?

:welcome:

thefitter

Newly Enlightened
Duracell batteries

The battery compartment seems sealed from the switch compartment?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was my thought. A lot of batteries have a small vent that can open without any sign of damage. In a sealed flashlight, the pressure will build up until it finds the easiest way out.

I suppose a short in the light wiring causing fumes that blew out the switch is also a possibility. It would almost certainly smell like burning plastic or your typical electrical fire in that case.

What kind of batteries were you using?

ven

Flashaholic
Duracell batteries

The battery compartment seems sealed from the switch compartment?

Duracell have a guarantee if fenix dont or wont follow through and will pay for a new light. If that happens and you decide to stick with AA lights, its worth while investing in some sanyo eneloops. Not only do they not leak(lot less likely), they will pay for themselves after a charge or 2. They will hold up to 70% charge at 5yrs being LSD(low self discharge). They will also perform far better than alki cells.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I've had this same light for years, use it regularly...been dropped, submerged many times.

However, I've used nothing but Eneloops in the light. I probably used the included AAs and depleted them to about 50% and that is the only time this light has seen alkalines.

For me, it's been an exceptional utility light and the only thing I'd change if I had to do it again it would be an E20 instead. The side switch is OK, but I've always preferred a tail switch. Best of luck and consider Eneloops in the future.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
this happened to me with this light, with eneloops, think one might have been slightly lower voltage than the other, remember reading about this here a few years back, something about polarity reversing possibly and off gassing due to dissimilar voltages in the cells. I may have an older thread about this issue, not positive it was the e25 or its predecessor, try a search. I think I wound up throwing it away cause I couldnt get the rubber switch back in

Last edited:

Latest posts