Upgrade to Olight M18 Maverick (paramedic)

Dario

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a new work flashlight for the wife for Christmas. She loves her M18, so I want to go with something similar. Only upgrade I can think of is more light. M18 is ~500 so I'm looking to get close to 1000.

She works nights and uses this light every time she works. FYI, she gets "what is that and where can I get one comments" from all her co-workers and some cops. Apparently most medics have crappy lights.

Requirements:

Lumens: 1000 or so.
Battery: 18650 is a must. She seems to like the size of the light and batteries last forever. And she carries a spare so she can swap if needed.
Switch: Has to be clicky. Two switch is preferable. Given what she does she can't be fiddling with it. Guessing 90% of the time she'll have it on max brightness. Out of her pocket and on without thinking about it.
Bezel: Not strike - can't catch on anything.
Strobe: Don't care. She never uses it.
Brand: Not too picky. One that would deal with issues and send parts if needed. Something with no support (i.e. Jetbeam) is out.
COO: U.S. preferred. Features, quality, and support are more important.
Price: under $100. She hasn't lost one yet, but it will happen at some point.
Waterproof: required

PD35 or PD32, maybe?

Dario

Newly Enlightened
Update: learning that ~1000 lumen lights will step down after a few mins due to heat. Makes sense - no free lunch and shouldn't have expected 2x the lumens without some heat issues in the same form factor.

So now the question is: What is the max brightness I can get in a single 18650 for unlimited time due to heat issues? If 500 is the limit, there's likely no significant upgrade for her.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your missus is anything like mine, she won't thank you for replacing the light that she's learned to trust. The increase in brightness from 500 to 1000 isn't as dramatic as you'd think.
Why not get a smaller light that will fit in her bag or pocket and be able to be used if the other one fails or is just too big.
Maybe a single Cr123, just a thought.
P

Dario

Newly Enlightened
If your missus is anything like mine, she won't thank you for replacing the light that she's learned to trust. The increase in brightness from 500 to 1000 isn't as dramatic as you'd think.
Why not get a smaller light that will fit in her bag or pocket and be able to be used if the other one fails or is just too big.
Maybe a single Cr123, just a thought.
P
Good point, and that's a risk. If she doesn't like it for work the new one it can go in her car, or mine. And I get brightness - I think it's 50% brighter (square rule of 1000 vs. 5000) but I think it's really 40%. And with throw and light color it could be less.

Maybe a 2nd light in her bag. No way on her pocket - they won't carry any extra crap. She could carry an extra light. She carries a spare battery. Makes sense to put it in a light.

Bigger issue is heat - all the 1K light seem to get too hot and drop down after 1-5 mins. No bueno when you're using it for work. ~500 may be the sustained limit with manageable temps. If that's the case, no reason to upgrade her.

Dario

Newly Enlightened
Why don't you just get her a high CRI light? Like a Beta QR. It a 1xaaa nichia 219 LED keychain light that does 15 or 60lumens.
A high CRI low lumen light is not applicable in this case. High CRI is nice. When you need to find a motorcyclist who went over a guard rail and it's dark and raining, good color rendition is not a high priority. For her, pocketable in her jacket, simple to operate, reliable, grippy, and bright are the requirements.

This is mostly a sustained brightness challenge. I may consider some larger heads that allow better heat dissipation

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
Has she made and specific complaints to give a little more info?

Fwiw a buddy of mine with local PD has his pd35 ue and loves it. Complains that it has too made modes though..

Maybe something like the MH12 from nitecore? In my time with EMS a microstream was really the only light I used. SAR work I started looking into throwers more, Surefires new E2dl at 500 lumens would be a contender but I believe youre stuck with 123's in that.

Lexel

Enlightened
There are some flashlights with thermal detection and then slowly step down slowly and step up if it gets colder

Klarus XT11S may be an option there is also a GB code for it in this forum

http://www.klaruslight.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=128&id=127

• Smart ITS temperature control system monitors internal temperature and adjusts output for maximum brightness, protecting the LEDs
and internal components to ensure safety, stability and optimum performance

Last edited:

Dario

Newly Enlightened
Has she made and specific complaints to give a little more info?

Fwiw a buddy of mine with local PD has his pd35 ue and loves it. Complains that it has too made modes though..

Maybe something like the MH12 from nitecore? In my time with EMS a microstream was really the only light I used. SAR work I started looking into throwers more, Surefires new E2dl at 500 lumens would be a contender but I believe youre stuck with 123's in that.
Good thoughts - thanks for the feedback.

No complaints about her Olight. I'm looking because I always think there's something better and I like to surprise her with cool work gifts. I got her an 02 wrench last year that she never would have bought herself and now she won't be without it. Hoping to find the "my other flashlight is great but this one is better." It may not exist.

MH12 looks good except for dropping to 240 lm after being at 1000 for 3 mins. I don't get why some of these lights don't have 450-550 as middle brightness level.

There are some flashlights with thermal detection and then slowly step down slowly and step up if it gets colder

Klarus XT11S may be an option there is also a GB code for it in this forum

http://www.klaruslight.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=128&id=127
Thanks - will take a look. More of a graduated/funnel shape I don't know if she would accept. May get one and see.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive just been searching myself and decided magnetic inlight charging would help my flashlight use, look at some klarus rs lights, could be on charge whilst she is out and about, so fully ready to go and theres no fiddly usb port, just yank the cable and go.
I have a friend thats been using this system for a few years and its proved handy and reliable.

Dario

Newly Enlightened
Ive just been searching myself and decided magnetic inlight charging would help my flashlight use, look at some klarus rs lights, could be on charge whilst she is out and about, so fully ready to go and theres no fiddly usb port, just yank the cable and go.
I have a friend thats been using this system for a few years and its proved handy and reliable.
Good thought. Not likely to work for her. Her light is always in the same place when she's not using it. Every couple of weeks she swaps batteries with a charged one and she always carries a spare that I replace with a charged one every few months just to be safe. I don't think she has the patience to leave it on a charger. She needs to know it's where she needs it all the time.

However, I might consider one.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff md2 with hot head is a good upgrade and made in usa. It is conservatively rated at 500+ lumens. However lux is 18k which will make it throw much better than the maverick. Will cost a little over 100 tho, but we'll worth it. You can also get a hi-lo ring to make it a dual mode light with an extremely useful low mode

Lexel

Enlightened
Klarus XT11GT XHP35 E4 has thermal management

After the first 2-3 minutes of constant 1700 OTF lumens (2000 LED)
it is slowly going from 45-70% over a few minutes
that is OTF lumens 850-1200

Bcs of that regulated turbo high is rated 400 LED lumens
klarus_xt11gt_komplet75u3f.png

Last edited:

peahi

Newly Enlightened
I hate too many modes if i need stuff in a hurry...but there is something to be said about very low modes to check pupillary response, tracking, eye movements. But then again, she probably has penlights in different bags. Everyone has good points above...single cell, yes!, PD35 yes!...S1 baton yes! In my job in icu, i kinda rotate a bunch of different lights. So far, the HDS rotary seems the best of both worlds. But it's kinda clunky in my scrub pockets.. E1L is close favorite. And sometimes fenix ld02 or thrunite AAA when I just want superminimalism.

she needs a "quiver of lights" I'm presently awaiting a single led from TANA to drop into my E1E. Its gonna be great!!!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, forgot a couple of requirements. Single cell, and not too bulky. Hound Dog is almost certainly too large.

Paramedic. She's getting by with 500 just fine. Could be 900-1000 would be counter-productive – I think it would be helpful in some cases – really need to get it into her hands and see how it plays out. She never wanted a better flashlight until I gave her an Olight M18. Looking for the next step up.

MD2 with TIR lens may work - good suggestion. I'd prefer to stick with one battery size for multiple lights. Could go to 16650 if I decide to go with an MDC.

I understand that she is a Paramedic, but what is she going to use the flashlight for? Its use would determine if she needs flood or throw and the number of lumens.

A compact light that runs on a 18650 and can put out 1000 lumens is the Zebralight SC62W, which is currently on sale on their website, it has three levels and can be switch on directly to Low or High depending how you press the switch.

LarcKen

Newly Enlightened
MH12 looks good except for dropping to 240 lm after being at 1000 for 3 mins. I don't get why some of these lights don't have 450-550 as middle brightness level.

MH12 will drop to around 500 lumens after 3 minutes, not 240. It will stay that way for 40 minutes until finally drop again to around 240.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for some Malkoff guidance. Looking a new light options for the wife - see details here if you like. Want to get closer to 1000 if possible. Dead simple usage and reliable. This is a gift and potentially an upgrade to an Olight which she loves. Seems like Malkoff could fit the bill. If not, I'll sell it here and lose 20% or so. Not the end of the world.

I would like it to be a 18650 light. Some variant if MD2 seems like the right way to go. But only 325 lumens. I know most of you will the difference is imperceptible, but I'm trying to get to 1000. 325 is going the wrong way.
The Hound Dog 18650 head fits the MD2 tube, that's what it was designed for.
If you think that the head is going to be too large, get the MD2 head. The M61SHO with give you 400 Out Front Lumens (OTF) running with a pair of 18350s in the MD2 tube. Or you could fit a drop in from another manufacturer with outputs in excess of 1000 Lm. Although in a head this size the heat is going to be a factor.
Nailbender, Vinh, Adventure Sports and EDC+ come to mind. I still think that you'll find 400 or so Malkoff lumens will impress you due to the beam quality and the fact that Gene underates his lumens.

The MDC XP-L is 450 continuous. That seems better (again, I know I won't see the diff from 325). Two issues with it: it defaults to low when turned on - opposite of what I need. Also a 16650. Why is the 16650 light brighter than the 18650? Can I change the MD2 LED to get to 500?)
MDCs are lovely, thinner than the MD2. If the low start worries you you van use as I do a 16650 tube with and E2 Scout head, again 325Lm, but in a light this small the heat is going to be a factor if you go any brighter.
If you like the idea of a thinner tibe you can fit it with a VME head with a drop in of your choice, giving you the equivalent of a thin MD2.

See what I said about drop ins above. Or get an MD3 as someone else said and run an M91B which will give you 700Lm on a pair of 18500s.
Don't forget Malkoff is modular, so you can swap heads, drop ins, tubes and tails to your heart's content.

Given all this, is there a combo of parts Malkoff parts I could get to get where I want to be? The light needs to start at ~500 lumens or better and stay there indefinitely. Not the end of the world if a Malkoff won't work in this case.
An M61HOT head will give you 500+Lm on a single 18650 in an MD2 tube. Apparently the beam is very similar to the Hound Dog. This may be the way to go.
Sorry if I've repeated others suggestions, moving from the Junkie thread to here has scribbled my brain.
And if I've missed anything, I'm sure others will put us right.
P

Edit: I see in retrospect I'm doing the "Quality over Quantity" thing. I realise that your priorities will be different..
P

Last edited:

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Good thought. Not likely to work for her. Her light is always in the same place when she's not using it. Every couple of weeks she swaps batteries with a charged one and she always carries a spare that I replace with a charged one every few months just to be safe. I don't think she has the patience to leave it on a charger. She needs to know it's where she needs it all the time.

However, I might consider one.

Why don't you get her a headlamp like zebralight? I don't think it's realistic in a pocket light to do what you ask for. The logical way to go about this is get her a supplement light. It won't do 1000lm but it'll add to that 500lm. You have a choice on how to distribute the light.
She'll be wearing it instead of carrying it. Having your hands free is a good thing. The downside to that is it'll ruin her hair.:laughing:
Even if there is a pocket light that can do 1000lm without stepping down it will eat the battery 2x faster. The light she using now only last 2hour on high. It doesn't last forever like she thinks.

Dario

Newly Enlightened
Update and some feedback. I put several lights in her hands. Malkoff is too heavy (compared to M18) for her. She didn't like the tint on the EC35 relative to others. She thought the ArmyTek Partner C2 Pro was too bright and too heavy. PD35 she likes and could switch to. No compelling reason to do so. She will use it for a few shifts and see which she prefers. PD32 (2016) may be another option. I skipped this light for some reason I now can't remember.

Some key preferences for her in case this helps others narrow down lights for paramedics:

• Size: Head diameter bigger than body doesn't work for her. A narrow light that can't catch on anything is what she wants.When she's maneuvering a 400lb person down a flight of stairs barely keeping her balance, she doesn't need any protrusions to get caught. I know this sounds nit-picky to us, but it's her requirement. Everything she carries is carefully placed and very dialed in.
  • Light: the only light over 1000lm she found unnecessarily bright. She seems to prefer white to cool tint.
  • Switch: Tail clicky only. Stiff, but not too stiff. She knows it when she feels it. Tailstanding is irrelevant to her.
  • Efficiency: not really an issue. She always has an extra batter. She typically uses her light for 5 mins at a time or less.
  • Step down: hard step is not acceptable - she'd rather not have the extra brightness than have it step down. Gradual decline is ok. I focused on lights that can maintain every level for several minutes at least and don't have a big step.
A headlamp doesn't work for several reasons. No easy way to store it and keep the band from getting tangled. While it would be great to have her hands free, she can't be screwing around with digging it out and putting it on while running to a patient. She is absolutely opposed to having something around her head that somebody could grab onto. It should come off her head, but what if it didn't? Patients can be grabby - some can be violent. No way is she putting on a head light.

Re usage, she uses it for assessing a scene, finding whatever she needs to find at a scene (you don't want to know), and occasionally for close up work. She has no interest in using a large flashlight for diagnostic purposes. Pen light for that.

She likes the PD35 and will spend some time with it. I'll get her a PD32 to play with as well. btw, all the lights she tried are great - I'm would take any of them. It's really down to her usage and a lot of personal preference. More lights than I need - some may go on sale here.

Last edited: