Help me understand Malkoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I am not understanding the large following of the malkoff lights. They seem to not have an impressive amout of lumens and the styling is not my cup of tea. Is the build quality that much more than manufacturers like olight and surefire? It it just that they offer drop ins, or do people consider the beam to be perfection? They seem a very high price for what would be recieved. Please inform me, i am in no way bashing malkoff i am just here to gain a better knowledge base and understand the "obsession"

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Re: Help me understanx malkoff

Yes build,potting,reputation and life time support is all part of the package. Output wise you have the hound dog for higher output needs .

They are more for a select market rather than the general . You know each part is designed and tested to destruction . If a job/task is required and your life depends on it, malkoff is the way to go.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me understand malkoff

Malkoff Devices: a great example of honest craftsmanship.
It doesn't compete in the lumen race. No super high lumen level with drop to 50% after 3min. No need for ultra high drain batteries. Not a dozen of modes or a complicated user interface, just simpleness and usefulness.
Not all products fall in my taste, but many do.
And every time Gene releases a new version of Wildcat or Hound Dog I know it's a "must have"!

I regret I didn't grab Wildcat gen3 neutral white in time. The same with Hound Dog XP-G.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep. Its rugged. If you buy a new car. The first thing you think of is how mutch is the top speed? Or is this a brand known for breaking down/failure? If you buy a malkoff you get something buildt to last. You just put it in your hand and straight away you can feel the extra quality.

tom-

Enlightened

High on dollars for what you get, low on performance for what you should get, - of course I am open to being convinced.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Lexus vs Kia on a drag strip?
Toss up.

Lexus vs Kia for reliability, durability, future proof designs, ride, comfort, style, and resale value....
Lexus.

Malkoffs are of German touring car caliber with Honda prices.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The preformane is tuned to better batterylife vs those few extra lumen. You need four times the lumen to see a lightsource as twice as bright. So a 500 lumen light will only look a tiny bit dimmer than a 1000 lumen, but will have double the runtimes.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have a look through the WTS on here, lots of *lites and *core and the rest. Fewer *koffs.
Probably the only way to tell is to get one, it'll be snapped up here if you're not persuaded.
P

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast

Malkoff produces tools to do a job, they are not in the 'Tacticool' market, they are more interested simplicity of use and reliability.

If you like shinning lights at white walls or buying shelf queens then don't buy Malkoff lights, if you need a tool that is robust and dependable then give them a go.

You can also choose a body for the type of batteries that you want to use and also choose the head you want for the type of use.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help me understanx malkoff

I am not understanding the large following of the Malkoff lights.

They seem to not have an impressive amout of lumens -The 1000-1600 continuous, not "Turbo", lumens of the Hound Dog and Wildcat not impressive enough?

and the styling is not my cup of tea - This sounds like a personal preference to me.

Is the build quality that much more than manufacturers like olight and surefire? - It is very good, but I've never touched an Olight before. They are fully the equal of Surefire.

It it just that they offer drop ins - Not at all.

do people consider the beam to be perfection - Well, the M61 reflector was designed by Don McLeish. The MDC uses the same reflector as the M61. I'm not certain, but I think the Hound Dog's reflector is also a McLeish design. So, Ya, pretty much perfection.

They seem a very high price for what would be recieved - An appropriate comparison would be with HDS, McGizmo, Oveready, and other custom light manufacturers. Have you seen their prices? Malkoffs are a bargain compared to their true competition.

I own one tactical oriented FourSevens light. Yes, it outputs an impressive ~750 lumens....for a couple minutes (if that long) before it needs to step down to ~350 lumens to keep from destroying itself. It feels like a toy compared to an MD2. The FourSevens switch is a far cry from a McClicky. The FourSevens light was not inexpensive, and a rather poor "value" to me.

When you call Malkoff Devices, it's likely that Mr. Malkoff will answer the phone and have all the answers to your questions. If you send an e-mail to Malkoff Devices at 10:00 PM on a Saturday, Mr. Malkoff will likely respond to your e-mail that night....not several days later.

Other manufacturers should attempt to be more like Malkoff Devices, not the opposite situation.

Last edited:

Tribull

Enlightened

My experience with Malkoff lights is as it's been said here less is more. Not that you're getting an inferior product, just the opposite. It doesn't try to be a " Jack of all trades master of none " flashlight. Their products are robust and ooze quality, and they do the job intended very well. You know where your money went when you buy one of their lights.

ven

Flashaholic

Instead of 2+ pages of how good malkoff is(thats pretty much what your going to get) I would invest a little of your hard earned(see it more like a life long investment) and sample a malkoff. Use(abuse if needed)for a few days/week and see how you feel about malkoff. Nothing like 1st hand impressions over 3rd party opinions:poke:

If you dont like, as said , slap it on WTB and it will be sold same day for probably not much less than you paid for it..........

Slight digression here, 300 or 350lm today seems so little in output, because we have ninja mall lights in abundance. Killer 1000lm outputs from their fake HAIII for 1m(general comment and not aimed at any manufacturer) before it steps down or breaks due to a single drop. Malkoff you need a separate fund, floor fund! Repairs to wood,concrete could occur............ Where was I ? Yes 300 or so lumens, in actual use its quite a lot and to the eye is a nudge down from 1000lm of cold/blue/white tint. The 370 ish lumens of malkoff at night from my m361N, lights up a garden in a pleasing 4000k. Perfect balance of throw/spill which makes it super usable...........

300-500lm is ample for most tasks, its just numbers and its how its presented to the dark what makes a difference.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

300-500lm is ample for most tasks, its just numbers and its how its presented to the dark what makes a difference.
That's what always saddens me when I see in the "Recommend me a Light" forum.
People nearly always want a Lumen Monster when what they need is a more moderate output with decent runtime, reliability and quality.
I saw one the other day wanting a 5000 lumen light for his elderly mother the see round the house, nuff said.
Nothing wrong with bright lights for fun, but when the sh*t hits the fan something that turns on and stays on is a good idea. More than nuff said.
P

jarheadgreasemonkey

Newly Enlightened

+1 to all the above.

In addition...

I have two Fenix, two Olight, a Lumintop, and a Zebralight...

All of which have a higher top lumen output than does my Malkoff MD2.

I'm rather new here, but I'm guessing there's a thread here that's similar to one found on virtually every forum...

"IF YOU COULD ONLY KEEP ONE OF ITEM X, WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE?"

My guess is that here, amongst the most serious flashaholics in the world, Malkoff would be among the top tier chosen.

Now I'm off to see if that thread has been started here.

Last edited:

jarheadgreasemonkey

Newly Enlightened

Turns out the thread does exist...

It hasn't been replied to in a few years though.

Top choice (just from a quick scanning) seems to be HDS.

Never owned one; but certainly on my wish list.

Other common choices were McGizmo, Surefire (many included they would choose Malkoff components), Malkoff, and Fenix.

The thread looks to have been merged with a similar topic more than once, but at one point it is refined to include that (in this scenario) there can be no repairs.

At that point, many of the top tier lights became a more common response.

I'm also wondering how skewed the results are based on people choosing from what they have experience with...

Only having recent experience with anything besides a Chinese light; I can see why Fenix was a popular choice as well.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

To be a little contrarian ... or maybe not contrarian, but balanced:

I have a SF body w/ Malkoff dropin next to my safe. For me, that's the one role where I prefer this type of light. Keeping in mind that there's no absolute right or wrong, just right or wrong for you ... for the other 99% of flashlight usage, for me, the typical lights that are getting a bit of a bashing in this thread, are a far better solution. I use the top-end setting on my EDC lights often, and usually only in flashes. In fact, I might assert that for the vast majority of people, a higher top-end is more useful, even if it only last 2 minutes, because very few people burn a 1000 lumen (or 500 lumen) beam for 10 minutes straight, outside particular niche uses. When I need a longer lasting beam, these same lights typically have a high, medium, low, and moonlight, so they are longer-running by far than a single-mode light, and useful in situations those lights are not.

So, the bottom line is, it helps to know your own usage and have your own ideas on what you personally value in a flashlight. For me, day in and day out, my Eagletac DX30LC2 and Sunwayman V11R absolutely blow away most of the "high end" lights, because of the way I use my lights (and, I'd bet, the way you use your lights, too; someone whose requirements lead to Malkoff or Elzetta or Surefire, aren't puzzled about what's so great about them :) ). But I"ve also identified one unlikely-to-ever-happen scenario where I like the SF body w/ Malkoff. Just the right answer for me, not necessarily the right answer for you, and definitely not the right answer for most of the folks who replied above me.

Last edited:

Lexel

Enlightened

There are also other brands not running the LEDs at max current, so that they dont step down under normal conditions

I would rather buy Eagle Eye X2R for 15$ with a pretty good build quality than a Malkoff more than 10 times that expensive
its not so hard build a flashlight that can be dropped and not breaking
and if it breaks its cheap to get a replacement

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

Troll mode on: Elzettas with AVS heads are much nicer :D Those Malkoffs remind me pipe bomb knock offs :whistle:

Last edited:

Blues

Enlightened

There are also other brands not running the LEDs at max current, so that they dont step down under normal conditions

I would rather buy Eagle Eye X2R for 15$ with a pretty good build quality than a Malkoff more than 10 times that expensive
its not so hard build a flashlight that can be dropped and not breaking
and if it breaks its cheap to get a replacement

I would argue that there are times when you can't afford for your flashlight to break when dropped and as a result being overbuilt is more necessity than luxury.

Depends what you use your lights for. If it's merely to check inside an appliance or inspect the back of your mailbox at night that's one thing...if you carry it alongside a firearm or use it for other critical duties, then it needs to be bulletproof now as you may not have the luxury of ordering another one tomorrow.

Simply food for thought. Not intended to be overly dramatic. And some folks just like tank like build quality despite most of their usage being more akin to driving a convertible.

BriteLite2

Enlightened

and have fun getting your Fenix or Olight fixed under warranty when you drop it and it breaks. Shipping to China is always an easy fun experience with the language barrier making it a true challenge for your patience and sanity

Malkoff is in the top three flashlight makers today

and they treat you like family

a lot of enthusiasts wont ewver understand it and there is nothing wrong with that

a lot just want whatever product with the most "features" and they don't care where it comes from or how well its made. that's fine

others see things differently

Status
Not open for further replies.