Maglite mini PRO+ candle mode - diffuser solution

nickjames

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF,

I bought a Maglite Mini PRO+ mainly just because of the candle mode feature. It is a really good idea to unscrew the head, place on the table and put the flashlight in. But not really with the PRO+ ! It is so strong even in Eco mode, that it simply can not be used in the middle of the table if mates sitting around. Yes, it is good to hang up somewhere above the table, but that's not what I was looking for. Does someone else have the same problem? Did you find any good, practical solution for that? Any proposal is highly appreciated.

Thanx
nickjames

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dislike unscrewing the head on my Pro+, because it allows dust to enter the reflector and get on the LED as well, plus if toppled damage to the LED can occur.

I mainly just ceiling bounce to get a more even light around the room.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also don't like to take the head on and off too much.....usually I use a white plastic thread protector from coleman propane bottle as diffuser that fits over the head or I lay it on it's side on top of something so it shines into the side of a water bottle (with water in it), preferably a gallon milk bottle type - makes for a really nice diffused light as all of the water glows.

If you want to use the candle mode, I would try draping a piece of a plastic supermarket grocery bag over the top LED on low mode (I don't think it would get hot enough to melt the plastic on low?).

nickjames

Newly Enlightened
I see your points... The ceiling and water bottle solutions must be good, but its not solve the issues when we are night-walking in the woods, and sit down to eat or drink somthing, and chat a bit. But you are right, maybe it is better not to use the lamp with head unscrewed. Especially in the woods.

Thank you
nickjames

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you've seen the Solarforce Lantern attachment?
Fits 1.25 inch diameter bezels, so a loose fit for the Minimag Pro+ but some rubber tubing or foam,etc. glued to the inside of the lantern attachment should work.

That would provide a nice 360degree illumination.

nickjames

Newly Enlightened
The Solarforce Lantern attachment seems to be a "professional" solution, but a little bit expensive. I hope I will find a good deal for that...

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
I love the candle mode on the pro+. In a powercut situation it works great. Very bright, so I put it on a shelf above eye level. Just one of those suckers per room is all you need.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solarforce Lantern attachment seems to be a "professional" solution, but a little bit expensive. I hope I will find a good deal for that...

That's why I use the thread protectors from the Colman gas bottles, though any of the 1"/25.4 mm inside diameter diffusers should work. If you have access to a 3D printer you could probably print one.