New way to Reflow Led

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
After messing with my 3d printer, i came up with this idea
reflow a led is a hard job, if you don't have a hot air gun, or all you have is a solder( unfortunately that's me)
But, now, my idea just cost about 5$( if you have a power supply, 12V@60W at least, but as a DIYer, i assume you have at least one)
First, you need to buy 2 things
http://www.banggood.com/12V-40W-6mm...rap-For-3D-Printer-p-961874.html?rmmds=search
(i use 30w and it works just fine)
http://www.banggood.com/Heater-Alum...t-MK7MK8-Extruder-p-1015878.html?rmmds=search
the idea is we will put a led star with the led emitter on the block, then power the heater, so easy, isn't it?
Here is my result( a quick example, sorry for a dirty led star)
Before
2016cd2c7979-2c5d-4c75-a089-4dc56a9d129d.jpg

After
20164e43388f-c48f-4368-84c0-39ab8fdef10e.jpg

2016ca735cf8-f4de-44e7-9fee-eb040d46abed.jpg

I have tested it with led xhp 70, and it works very well, too
to reflow a multi-led mpcb, you will need a bigger block, but i don't have any tool for this nor i don't know how to make one
If you guy can make me a bigger block, i will pay for it
Hope it helps someone

Lexel

Enlightened
An electrical stove with a thick aluminium plate below the board wll do fine as well

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
An electrical stove with a thick aluminium plate below the board wll do fine as well
Yeah, but at my place, people use gas stove more than electric one
and electric stove will consume about 1-2KwH, and my idea will consume only 30wH

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

xsYtv6P.jpg

exactly! meat thermometer for getting precise temperature. aluminum plate is from a slotted server CPU

great for cooking contaminated brake pads too LOL

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
xsYtv6P.jpg

exactly! meat thermometer for getting precise temperature. aluminum plate is from a slotted server CPU

great for cooking contaminated brake pads too LOL
That is a big plate, doesn't it
how long does it take from normal temp(30*C) to when it begins to melt?

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Yeah, but at my place, people use gas stove more than electric one
and electric stove will consume about 1-2KwH, and my idea will consume only 30wH

Put your multi LED board in an old but clean pan, you should be able to reflow it this way also on a gas stove.

But your idea is great and cheap.

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
Put your multi LED board in an old but clean pan, you should be able to reflow it this way also on a gas stove.

But your idea is great and cheap.
yeah, my next project may making a bigger block with about 2-3 heater in it and a temp sensor, controlled by arduino
of course, the screw to fix the led star

Lexel

Enlightened
Nothing is bad to run a thick aluminium plate on a gas stove as well, a IR or other thermometer with sensor is very helpful, or just a spot with soldering paste you see when it melts

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Always love seeing how folks tackle the reflow task. I don't think there's one best way. Instead it's about how comfortable a person becomes accustomed in making the job as easy as possible. My self I like to use a handheld propane torch. Works for me. But it's not something everyone agrees with. Like I said before. It comes down to user preference. If I may make a suggestion to the OP you might consider using solder paste around the LED when reflowing since it will allow you to see when the solder liquefies. If using a lead free/ROHS solder it typically doesn't go shiny like 60/40 lead solder would. The solder paste keeps oxygen from reacting with the lead free solder and having the dull look to it.

On the other hand maybe you already aware of this and cleaned your star in which case just ignore my suggestion. Not lecturing. Just want to pass on a little tid bit of the "learning" curve.

;)

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
i know i need to isolate the block
it looks stupid, but it works, then it isnt stupid