Exposure Flash (Rear Bike Light) Does Not Work Without Original Batteries

regiolanthe

Newly Enlightened
Hi -

I've got a weird situation. I have an Exposure Flare rear bicycle light - it uses a single RCR123A battery. It has a bulb unit that twists on/off to turn on and off the light (see below).

My problem is that it does not seem to work with ANYTHING except the original batteries that came with the light set (Exposure Flash/Flare). I've tried some no-names from Batteries+, some Eastshines from Amazon, and a new set of replacements from Exposure. There are slight height/width differences to the originals with the non-Exposure batteries, but the Exposure replacements should be an identical fit.

I have also replaced the spring in the light with one sent from Exposure USE - and added/removed some sort of circular pad that they also provided.

Also, I've used the various replacements with the front light (Exposure Flash) - and they seem to work with that.

Long/short - Nothing seems to work with the light except the original batteries (which both work).

Any ideas - thoughts?

Thanks

Reg.

Exposure-Flare-Rear-Light-Bike-Rear-Lights-AW14-EXPFLARE-0.jpg

odeprooutdoor

Newly Enlightened
What kind other RCR123A batteries you bought, rechargeable Li-ion battery or non-rechargeable? They are same size, but have different driver voltage.

regiolanthe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for answering.

The replacement batteries from Exposure have identical specs to the original (RCR123A rechargeable, 3.7v, 700 mAh).

I think I got rid of the Batteries+ ones, so don't remember spects.

The eastshines (fractionally taller/wider diameter than the Exposure ones - although they seem to work fine in the front light) are also listed as RCR123A rechargeable, 3.7v, 700 mah). They also state 2.59Wh (whatever that means) - with integrated overcharge protection (16340).

The Exposure batteries do not mention anything about the 2.59Wh or integrated overcharge protection (although you'd assume that both sets of Exposure batteries - original and replacements - should work in their own product).

Thanks,
Reg

regiolanthe

Newly Enlightened
The eastshines definitely appear to be a skosh longer and larger diameter.

The Exposure-branded replacements appear (at least eyeballing) to be the same size. I haven't taken exact measurements, but if there are any differences - they are sub-millimeter.

Sorry - it's just an oddity. Ah well ... old batteries will serve for at least this winter, I'm sure .. Might have to think about a new light next winter though ...

Just prefer the added feeling of safety that new batteries would provide for the evening commute.

Cheers,
Reg.

odeprooutdoor

Newly Enlightened
Really oddity.....Unless exposure light can recognise them battery:D

It's a normal phenomenon that same model batteries length and diameter has 1-2mm fluctuation, with/without PCB, different outside tube material.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "Product Description" of your "Exposure Lights 75 Lumen Flare Tail Light" on amazon is
"Burntime: Continuous 9 hrs./Flash 22 hrs. (disposable batteries)"
"Batteries 1 CR123A batteries required. (included)"
CR123 3v
RCR123 3.7v
Don't use RCR123 in CR123 light or you may kill your light.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
The eastshines definitely appear to be a skosh longer and larger diameter.

The Exposure-branded replacements appear (at least eyeballing) to be the same size. I haven't taken exact measurements, but if there are any differences - they are sub-millimeter.

Sorry - it's just an oddity. Ah well ... old batteries will serve for at least this winter, I'm sure .. Might have to think about a new light next winter though ...

Just prefer the added feeling of safety that new batteries would provide for the evening commute.

Cheers,
Reg.

It seems the manufacturer intended for them to be used with rechargeable cells so I doubt that it's a voltage issue, however...I also noticed that there is a USB port on the light as well, presumably for charging while in the light and so I am kinda thinking that what might be happening is that the foreign protection circuit in the other batteries might somehow be preventing the internal charging circuit from reading it properly as a cell that can be recharged and possibly even as a dead cell. It may simply be a fluke of this particular unit's electronics.

Whether this means that you should try another brand of rechargeable Li-Ion cell altogether or you should try using a type without a protection circuit of any kind (IMR), I can't be sure. The problem is that I can't find any reference to cells with protection circuits on the manufacturers website. They may expect them all to work but only tested one brand.

If it were mine I would test different kinds of cells in it, using a multi-meter to measure voltage and current if possible. At least checking the voltage of the cell before and after using it for a few hours and then charging it inside the light.

It may be that this was in fact a defective unit that just happens to still function as a light. I'm also not certain that the manufacturer could determine if it was defective. If it was intended to be used with any sort of rechargeable cell then I feel that they should have sent you a replacement light, since this is clearly not the case with this unit. I am assuming that they don't make two separate versions of the light, one that uses primary lithiums and one that can also use Li-Ions, and just forgot to mention that on the website.